The Student Room Group

Does chess and checkers increase brain power in anyway?

Doesnt chess increase brain power, make you more clever in anyway because you are exercising your brain if yes how?
can you name me other board games which are good for your brain .

Which is the best way to increase brain power . Iv noticed for the past few days i am playing checkers and i am able to do more things. Its like i have gone more clever. I am able to think more.
Well I've played with @jshep000 like two times and every time he's been crap, so I think it depends on the person
Original post by Valyrian
Well I've played with @jshep000 like two times and every time he's been crap, so I think it depends on the person

Get stalemated you noob dog.
someone answer my question plz?
I'd say anything that stimulates your mind and gets it thinking and predicting moves and outcomes would be beneficial to it.
Dunno - mental excercise is supposed to slow the progress of Alzheimers according to newspapers, maybe it's true.

other games that are supposed to be mentally taxing include Bridge and Backgammon... according to people who play it.

maybe ask in health - you might get an answer from someone who knows something about neuroscience.
oh and the game of Go

plus probably any of the games played here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_Sports_Olympiad
Chess is a great tool for mental development, especially in the young. I'm no expert on the science behind it though but seems like common sense that practicing reasoning and problem solving and even creative thinking to an extent can help you in other areas of your life.
Original post by JoshDawg
I'd say anything that stimulates your mind and gets it thinking and predicting moves and outcomes would be beneficial to it.

i think so , too

Quick Reply

Latest