The Student Room Group

Does BTEC prepare you for university?

I studied a BTEC Business Diploma at college, therefore it was coursework based rather than exams.

I now study at university - and in my third year. I have only done three exams throughout the whole time I have been here, the rest of it is coursework based.

So my advice to school leavers, if you want to go university, study a BTEC as it prepares you better for university life. If you study A-levels, it is harder to achieve the maximum grades compared to BTEC, but you may be able to get into universities such as Oxford or Cambridge because of more UCAS points.

#TeamBTEC :smile:

Scroll to see replies

False. Just because your course dosnt have many exams dosnt mean that others won't.

Undeniably the more acedemic and rigourous subjects like Maths, physics, chemisty, medicine, engineering etc will have significant exams to complete. Btecs don't prepare you as much as alevels as they are inferior.
#BTECfailure

P.s what course are you doing?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Drmischief
False. Just because your course dosnt have many exams dosnt mean that others won't.

Undeniably the more acedemic and rigourous subjects like Maths, physics, chemisty, medicine, engineering etc will have significant exams to complete. Btecs don't prepare you as much as alevels as they are inferior.
#BTECfailure

I am not a #BTECFailure as I managed to get 420 Points and equivalent to 3 A-levels. I am on track to achieve a first class honours degree at university, in my third year, studying business management.

I think I did mislead, as it is aimed at perhaps BTEC Business students rather than the 'academic and rigorous' subjects.
Original post by CharlieK94
I am not a #BTECFailure as I managed to get 420 Points and equivalent to 3 A-levels. I am on track to achieve a first class honours degree at university, in my third year, studying business management.

I think I did mislead, as it is aimed at perhaps BTEC Business students rather than the 'academic and rigorous' subjects.

"Business Management" aka Common sense.
No one seriously believes btecs=alevels
Yes you have mislead people a little. Anyway, good on you for being on track to get a 1st.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol

#BTECfailure

Chemistry, medicine and engineering are vocational, not academic.

A levels will prepare you more for exams, but BTECs prepare you more for independent learning.
Reply 6
Original post by IamLiquid

A levels will prepare you more for exams, but BTECs prepare you more for independent learning.

That's a great point and supports what I am trying to say :smile:

False. Chemisty is a physical science and has plenty of exams and is heavily acedemic.
Engineering is a subject that incorporates both physics and maths in an acedemic fashion to deal with problems. Also has exams and is heavily entrenched in acedemic rigour
Medicine is generally split into two distinct phases, pre-clinical and clinical medicine. The pre-clinical phase deals with solid science and research. Whilst the clinical side looks at the skills required to be a good doctor in breif. Again this is a heavily acedemic subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's a great point and supports what I am trying to say :smile:

Its far from any great point. To say btecs help you learn independentlyis grossly wrong when the majority purely copy what there teachers write on the white board or copy straight out of the book/Wikipedia for their "coursework".Btecs prevent students to develop an understanding or ablilty to think critically like alevels do and are skills which universities value. This is why those who study btec can only get into wishy-washy subjects with their qualification or more harder subjects but at **** universities who would let anyone in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
It depends on your course like whether it is more practical than exam based.
Reply 10
Its far from any great point. To say btecs help you learn independentlyis grossly wrong when the majority purely copy what there teachers write on the white board or copy straight out of the book/Wikipedia for their "coursework".Btecs prevent students to develop an understanding or ablilty to think critically like alevels do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suppose everybody has their own opinions..

But for me personally, BTEC has helped me and I can relate my course at university to the style of work I was doing at college.

Which A-Levels did you study?
I suppose everybody has their own opinions..

But for me personally, BTEC has helped me and I can relate my course at university to the style of work I was doing at college.

Which A-Levels did you study?

Biology, Chemisty and History

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Biology, Chemisty and History

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds great, have you gone to university?
Reply 13

LOL 😁
I took maths physics chem economics for my a levels and two as levels
the amount of self learning I did was insane.

btecs aren't even accepted for university entrance outside the uk. They do not prepare you for academic subjects at uni

a levels is all about independent learning nd is multitudes harder than btec.
Reply 14
I studied a BTEC Business Diploma at college, therefore it was coursework based rather than exams.

I now study at university - and in my third year. I have only done three exams throughout the whole time I have been here, the rest of it is coursework based.

So my advice to school leavers, if you want to go university, study a BTEC as it prepares you better for university life. If you study A-levels, it is harder to achieve the maximum grades compared to BTEC, but you may be able to get into universities such as Oxford or Cambridge because of more UCAS points.

#TeamBTEC :smile:

completely wrong notion.op. I am going to have an exam evry semester.

only one coursework. A team project.
False. Chemisty is a physical science and has plenty of exams and is heavily acedemic.
Engineering is a subject that incorporates both physics and maths in an acedemic fashion to deal with problems. Also has exams and is heavily entrenched in acedemic rigour
Medicine is generally split into two distinct phases, pre-clinical and clinical medicine. The pre-clinical phase deals with solid science and research. Whilst the clinical side looks at the skills required to be a good doctor in breif. Again this is a heavily acedemic subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't understand what vocational means. It does not mean exam vs. coursework, there are plenty of academic subjects that are pure coursework, for example most BA English degrees.

Investopedia
An educational certificate that specifically prepares an individual to work in a chosen field. By contrast, a college undergraduate degree focuses on developing an individual's all-around intelligence and critical-thinking skills, but may not prepare an individual for a specific job, depending on the major that is chosen. Vocational degrees offer training for careers such as medical coding and billing, auto mechanics, cosmetology, electrical work and legal secretary work, among many others.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/v/vocational-degree.asp

What can I do with my degree?: MedicineMedicine is a vocational degree, which allows you to develop the practical and clinical capabilities specific to medicine, as well as the professional and personal attributes that are necessary to be a doctor...

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_medicine.htm

1. of or relating to a vocation or vocations2. (Education) of or relating to applied educational courses concerned with skills needed for an occupation, trade, or profession:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/vocational

http://www.brighthub.com/office/career-planning/articles/107519.aspx

Physics = academic = does not train you or give you the specific skills for a chosen field
Maths = academic = does not train you or give you the specific skills for a chosen field
Chemistry = vocational = trains you or gives you the specific skills for a chosen field
Medicine = vocational = trains you or gives you the specific skills for a chosen field
Engineering = vocational = trains you or gives you the specific skills for a chosen field
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
On every BTEC Course, every student has to undertake a Level 1, 2 or 3 Functional Skill in both English and Maths.

My course at university, Business Management, has modules such as Accounting and Finance, Enterprise and Entrepreneurial Management, Economics and Business Analysis (just to name a few) incorporate many Mathematical solutions which I my Level 3 Functional Skill in Maths on my BTEC course helped me massively in solving some of the problems.

The functional skill may not be as difficult as an 'a-level', but is a big step from GCSE Maths without it being too difficult
Which university are you at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Moonstruck16
Which university are you at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anglia ruskin :smile: Yourself?
Reply 19
Original post by Furios
completely wrong notion.op. I am going to have an exam evry semester.

only one coursework. A team project.

I think it depends on what you study at university. I study Business Management, and very rarely have exams - what do you study?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending