The Student Room Group

So, you want to do a ski season?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Would definitley sugguest Tignes as a great resort for a season
You'll also need your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which is the replacement for the E111 form, as this takes care of something like 80% of the cost of any major medical treatment.

Just a point worth noting - not every country accepts the EHIC and those that do offer varying levels of reciprocal health care agreements. Check before you get caught out! (It's certainly not a replacement for travel insurance). Also, make sure that any insurance you do get covers you for skiing for the entire trip, not just for a limited number of days.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm going over to Canada skiing for a few months starting in january does anyone know how the helath insurance schemes in canada work?
Is it possible to do a ski season starting in january time does anyone know?
Because i will be applying to uni next autumn so probably cant go out until jan time due to interviews/ucas application.

I really want to go as long as possible and do a season but does anyone know any companies that hire people from then??
Reply 264
Anyone done a season in NZ/Aus? Anything to suggest/offer as advice for someone looking to go out and teach next year?
Reply 265
Original post by Drewski
Anyone done a season in NZ/Aus? Anything to suggest/offer as advice for someone looking to go out and teach next year?

Not done a ski season, but can probably offer advice on Aus/NZ in general.

Firstly the ski season in Oz is pretty crap - small hills, low snowfall, not brilliant skiing compared to Europe or NZ. That said, you will get paid more in Oz than NZ. Im not sure how easy jobs are to come by though.

As for NZ, well there are 2 big resorts in the South Island; Mt Hutt, and Queenstown area. There are also lots of other smaller resorts which tend to be a long drive from anywhere, and wont be as good to work on. Mt Hutt is about an hour and a half from Christchuch, the biggest city on the south island, whereas Queenstown is a small place with 14,000 permanent residents. Qt is more of a European style alpine town though, come winter its all about skiing. Massively backpacker and tourist focused with prices to reflect that, but heaps of bars, clubs, hotels, adventure sports etc etc. If you wanted to work at Mr Hutt then Methven is the closest town. Its a nice little place, but again come winter its all about the skiing (and a bit of farming) so prices are high. Fewer bars and clubs though because people from the city are more able to drive in and out in a day, so less demand for entertainment. Season starts about the end of July, beginning of August and runs through til October. Wages in NZ are a bit crap, and there are lots of backpackers after ski jobs, so be prepared for competition.

If you want the cash, try your hand at Aussie, if you want better skiing and a more beautiful environment, and a better atmosphere then go to NZ.
Reply 266
Can anyone give a list of things to take? I've been skiing before, but it was years ago so I doubt my ski wear will still fit. Should I buy two sets of trousers and jackets as I'll be there for months? And shoes for apres ski?? How much clothing etc? I have moon boots which still fit, will those last as my shoes for the trip?
Reply 267
Original post by williams1994
Is it possible to do a ski season starting in january time does anyone know?
Because i will be applying to uni next autumn so probably cant go out until jan time due to interviews/ucas application.

I really want to go as long as possible and do a season but does anyone know any companies that hire people from then??

I was wondering the same question, I rang up SkiTotal (a company recommended to me) and they said it should be fine as long as I apply in may when the job listings start. They even said it might be fine for me to fly home for a week for med school interviews, but that is also cos I'll have the cooking diploma and have been working steadily alongside school studies for the past three years. Best bet is to ring up the companies :smile:
Reply 268
Original post by star*
Can anyone give a list of things to take? I've been skiing before, but it was years ago so I doubt my ski wear will still fit. Should I buy two sets of trousers and jackets as I'll be there for months? And shoes for apres ski?? How much clothing etc? I have moon boots which still fit, will those last as my shoes for the trip?

Check out the Natives website, there's a ton of stuff on there. You'll find a lot of it if you do a quick search.
Reply 269
Original post by star*

Take one set of outer ski clothes, if you fly you won't have room for anything else.
Take your moon boots, shoes to work in and maybe a nicer pair of boots or pumps.
Reply 270
Original post by star*
I was wondering the same question, I rang up SkiTotal (a company recommended to me) and they said it should be fine as long as I apply in may when the job listings start. They even said it might be fine for me to fly home for a week for med school interviews, but that is also cos I'll have the cooking diploma and have been working steadily alongside school studies for the past three years. Best bet is to ring up the companies :smile:

Be careful with med school interviews, I ended up with 4 and was so so close to being sacked I only kept my job because they were in very quiet weeks and I work for an independent company who were nice-but have now said next year no one will be allowed home for any interviews.

It's very very hard to do interview prep at the same time as a season haha!
Reply 271
Original post by Sherbet
Be careful with med school interviews, I ended up with 4 and was so so close to being sacked I only kept my job because they were in very quiet weeks and I work for an independent company who were nice-but have now said next year no one will be allowed home for any interviews.

It's very very hard to do interview prep at the same time as a season haha!

Ahh, I didn't know that, SkiTotal were pretty understanding but I'm gonna ring up a few companies to check. I rang up the uni's and they said if I call as soon as I get my interviews (if I get any!) that I could try and arrange for them all in one week :s
Reply 272
Original post by Sherbet
Take one set of outer ski clothes, if you fly you won't have room for anything else.
Take your moon boots, shoes to work in and maybe a nicer pair of boots or pumps.

Reply 273
Original post by star*

Good luck, I'm sure it'll be fine :smile:.

I wear skinny jeans/leggings with a niceish top and I have some nice snow boots :smile:.

Buy some nice jeans, I wear my dark red ones or black ones out and work in my old blue ones from home. Nothing too formal, it's a ski resort! I work in quite an upmarket resort so some places you do need to look a little smarter, but if you're a girl you'll get let in.
Reply 274
Original post by Sherbet
Good luck, I'm sure it'll be fine :smile:.

I wear skinny jeans/leggings with a niceish top and I have some nice snow boots :smile:.

Buy some nice jeans, I wear my dark red ones or black ones out and work in my old blue ones from home. Nothing too formal, it's a ski resort! I work in quite an upmarket resort so some places you do need to look a little smarter, but if you're a girl you'll get let in.

Perfect :smile: out of interest which resort are you working in?
Also, where would you suggest to buy nice snow boots?
Reply 275
Original post by star*
Perfect :smile: out of interest which resort are you working in?
Also, where would you suggest to buy nice snow boots?

Megeve in France.
Got mine as a present :tongue: any ski shop here or abroad, but they can be expensive, use your moon boots and see what you can get out there, you need decent ones. Check places like TK max for bargains.
Reply 276
Original post by Sherbet
Megeve in France.
Got mine as a present :tongue: any ski shop here or abroad, but they can be expensive, use your moon boots and see what you can get out there, you need decent ones. Check places like TK max for bargains.

thanks :smile: I'll defos take my moon boots, but I want a nice pair for going out in the evenings as I guess I'm not going to be taking my heels :tongue:
Reply 277
Original post by star*
thanks :smile: I'll defos take my moon boots, but I want a nice pair for going out in the evenings as I guess I'm not going to be taking my heels :tongue:

Do not bring heels! I've seen a few french girls wearing them and they looked ridiculous. Maybe just a nice pair of ankle boots or something that you'd wear around town.

A nice denim skirt would be alright, some people bring shorts for end of season.

Bring lots of suncream. Try to get enough sleep and don't ski too drunk :tongue:.
Reply 278
Original post by Sherbet
Do not bring heels! I've seen a few french girls wearing them and they looked ridiculous. Maybe just a nice pair of ankle boots or something that you'd wear around town.

A nice denim skirt would be alright, some people bring shorts for end of season.

Bring lots of suncream. Try to get enough sleep and don't ski too drunk :tongue:.

Hahaha, thanks for all the advice, really helpful :biggrin:
Reply 279
Original post by Sherbet
Do not bring heels! I've seen a few french girls wearing them and they looked ridiculous.

Haha same. Looks absolutely ridic...especially when you take into consideration that there isn't much friction. Hospital trip after a night out in heels? I think so.

Quick Reply

Latest