The Student Room Group

So, you want to do a ski season?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
I've decided to do a gap year and want to do a ski season, but would also like to go travelling afterwards. With the pay received from working in a chalet for example, and taking into account spending whilst you are there, is the pay sufficient enough to be able to save some money? I understand I may have to work at home to get some more money together, but is this a realistic option - getting money in a chalet then travel afterwards?
Original post by Bridie4
I've decided to do a gap year and want to do a ski season, but would also like to go travelling afterwards. With the pay received from working in a chalet for example, and taking into account spending whilst you are there, is the pay sufficient enough to be able to save some money? I understand I may have to work at home to get some more money together, but is this a realistic option - getting money in a chalet then travel afterwards?

No. I spent more money than I received working. However where I worked some wages were held back and paid to you at the end of the season but this was only £20 a week so ended up being £300 or so.

The season finishes around the start of may so you have time to come home get a job for a couple of months and do a couple of months travelling. Or you could get a job before the season starts - make sure you don't spend this money and then use that to go travelling.
Reply 382
Original post by Bridie4

Having done 3 seasons, I personally think it's unrealistic to plan on coming home with anything worthwhile from wages earned...even if you're a host getting tips.
Myself and a buddy are thinking of doing a ski season during 2013/14. which job gives you the most time on the slopes?

Also, more specifically, which job gives you the most time on the slopes but tires you the least (i.e retail compared to bar staff)?

Thanks
Reply 384
Original post by otherkid89
Myself and a buddy are thinking of doing a ski season during 2013/14. which job gives you the most time on the slopes?

Also, more specifically, which job gives you the most time on the slopes but tires you the least (i.e retail compared to bar staff)?

Thanks

Most time on the hill? Instructing. Some Guiding roles.

Tires you the least? Er, wee bit vague, that. Nothing's really that tiring - depends on your fitness.
ok I shouldve been more specific. I take the blame for that aha.

which job allows you more time on the slopes with friends. i.e working in a bar at night will give you the entire day on the slopes but comes with the price of being more tired whereby you have less dream time.

Is there anything in-between? I read that a chalet something (assistant,chef,host.. I can't remember the role) cooks breakfast in the morn, bakes a cake while the guests eat then they can leave to hit the slopes.. return to cook dinner for 8/8.30 then can go enjoy the night however they please. But this was read on the ole WWW so I'm not sure how reliable it.

Apologies and thanks the ideas!
Reply 386
Original post by otherkid89
ok I shouldve been more specific. I take the blame for that aha.

which job allows you more time on the slopes with friends. i.e working in a bar at night will give you the entire day on the slopes but comes with the price of being more tired whereby you have less dream time.

Is there anything in-between? I read that a chalet something (assistant,chef,host.. I can't remember the role) cooks breakfast in the morn, bakes a cake while the guests eat then they can leave to hit the slopes.. return to cook dinner for 8/8.30 then can go enjoy the night however they please. But this was read on the ole WWW so I'm not sure how reliable it.

Apologies and thanks the ideas!

Every company is different. What works for some won't work for others and there'll be many different vairations of timetables.
Yes, if you work in a bar/club you'll have the day, technically, free. But if you only finish work at 4am then you need to find time to sleep... and a bar won't be the best paying thing out there, you might find yourself needing a second job to supplement the income.

Any chalet role is dependant on your ability - you won't become a chef unless you've had prior experience, you can't become an instructor unless you've got the qualifications - and then, different places require different qualifications.

Yes, certain roles will aloow you to hit the slopes if there's nothing else to do. Chances are there will be things to do all over the place so you'll find your slope time minimised.

Take some time to look at the websites for seasonaires now, see what jobs are being asked for and what their descriptions are, then decide what it is you might like to do.

If you're just wanting a long holiday, rather than to actually work, start saving up money instead.
Reply 387
Just after a bit of advice...

Been offered two jobs...one by workaseason in Chamonix as a kitchen porter/night porter and the other with SikBound in an unknown (as of yet) resort as a hotel assistant.

Anyone had experience working with either? Which should I go for??

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by mattttty

Been offered two jobs...one by workaseason in Chamonix as a kitchen porter/night porter and the other with SikBound in an unknown (as of yet) resort as a hotel assistant.

I know that night porter is pretty easy but very anti social. Never did it myself but from speaking to people you put the pastries in the oven, do a bit of hoovering, maybe sit behind reception for a bit and then watch tv the rest of the time. After you'd get up the mountain around first lift then go to bed around 4 to start work again at 12.

A kitchen porter is a **** job, washing dishes all day. However I can be quite good fun with the banter in the kitchen and no contact with the guests means you can start work hanging out your arse and its ok. It's not actually that bad of a job. No responsibility as well which, imo, is a plus.

Between these two jobs you have one week of great skiing time and another week of ok skiing time and good for going out. But the thing is if your doing a season for 4 months its not like you'll be rushing to spend every spare minute skiing. I went up maybe twice a week and a lot of the time skiied a few runs, did a bit of off piste and also sat around and ordered a beer and sat on a resturant on the piste.

Edit: Also meant to add if you want to know more about ski seasons vist natives. Great website. Don't ask anything about pay though!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 389

I'm guessing that's at the Sapiniere?

If your job is KP/NP as opposed to just KP, you will divide the NP shifts between the KP's...1 week on NP, the others on KP.

KP shifts will generally be breakfast til 10-11ish then back around 4-5ish til end of dinner service. Plenty of time for skiing.

I'm a little biased towards Esprit/Inghams/Total, but that's cos I've had 3 really good seasons with them and am going back for a 4th.
Reply 390
Original post by simeon
I'm guessing that's at the Sapiniere?

If your job is KP/NP as opposed to just KP, you will divide the NP shifts between the KP's...1 week on NP, the others on KP.

KP shifts will generally be breakfast til 10-11ish then back around 4-5ish til end of dinner service. Plenty of time for skiing.

I'm a little biased towards Esprit/Inghams/Total, but that's cos I've had 3 really good seasons with them and am going back for a 4th.

Thanks for you help! I have just accepted the offer with workaseaon at the Sapiniere.

Absolutely buzzing for it.

Reply 391
Thanks for you help! I have just accepted the offer with workaseaon at the Sapiniere.

Absolutely buzzing for it.

Congrats on the job.

If you haven't already, get yourself on...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Esprit-Inghams-Ski-Total-Overseas-Recruitment/129925290372491

Not much activity yet, but it will pick up closer to the start of the season.
Reply 392
Was there someone on here that runs the Workaseason cookery course?
Reply 393
Original post by ames123
Was there someone on here that runs the Workaseason cookery course?

I don't run it but I'm probably going to be one of the demo Chefs/trainers.

Can I help with anything?
Reply 394
Original post by simeon
I don't run it but I'm probably going to be one of the demo Chefs/trainers.

Can I help with anything?

No, just wanted to say hi, i'll be there. :smile:
Reply 395
Original post by ames123
No, just wanted to say hi, i'll be there. :smile:

It's a really good week. Dave (Catering Manager), Jason (Executive Chef) and Jeff (Logistics Manager) who run the course are excellent. Very knowledgeable, but also approachable if you need help. Pretty much all the demo Chefs have done seasons before, so we all know the problems the new staff face.

It's quite an intensive week, having a demo and a practical of each days menu, plus a session on making cakes, and a separate session for Christmas Day. Plus there are classes on knife skills, food hygiene, and how to organise your work days.

You'll have a big advantage over those who just do the normal staff training week.

Which resort/Chalet are working in?
Reply 396
Original post by simeon
It's a really good week. Dave (Catering Manager), Jason (Executive Chef) and Jeff (Logistics Manager) who run the course are excellent. Very knowledgeable, but also approachable if you need help. Pretty much all the demo Chefs have done seasons before, so we all know the problems the new staff face.

It's quite an intensive week, having a demo and a practical of each days menu, plus a session on making cakes, and a separate session for Christmas Day. Plus there are classes on knife skills, food hygiene, and how to organise your work days.

You'll have a big advantage over those who just do the normal staff training week.

Which resort/Chalet are working in?

La Rosiere, 9 bed chalet.
Sounds like Masterchef with the demo and practical lol! It's not just the menu though is it, is it cooking in general (if you get what I mean) as well?
Reply 397
Original post by ames123

Interesting. I might be in La Rosiere as well :beard:

Spoiler

Reply 398
Original post by ames123
Sounds like Masterchef with the demo and practical lol! It's not just the menu though is it, is it cooking in general (if you get what I mean) as well?

You'll learn basic skills, but it's mostly based around the menu.

For the money paid and the time available, they just can't afford to run a course like say Orchards Cookery School would do.

I'm sure you'll have fun in La Ros with Esprit, but I prefer to avoid the little shits, sorry, children wherever possible so I'm with Total again.
Reply 399
Yes I thought that too, but that's where they placed me and I guess it makes it easier cooking for say 5 then 4 rather than 9 altogether!

Quick Reply

Latest