The Student Room Group

So, you want to do a ski season?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by studentmcr6
Can anyone reccomend the best companies to do a ski season for? My friend's sister just got a job with Chalet Chardonne in Tignes, but she applied for the big companies like Mark Warner and Crystal as well, just didn't get an offer.

I'm unsure whether to apply for just the big companies, or try some of the smaller ones too!

Also what position is the best (as in pleasant) to work in - chalet host or bar work?
I'm a passionate skier so ski time is important! Thank you :smile:

Too many variables for there to be a single best one, imo. Same with role.

If you want the most time skiing, then bar work will generally get that, but not hotel bar work because you'll be expected to work the lunch period. Chalet host can be good for skiing if you've got either a small chalet on your own or are part of a good team in a massive chalet-hotel.
Original post by Drewski

If you want the most time skiing, then bar work will generally get that, but not hotel bar work because you'll be expected to work the lunch period. Chalet host can be good for skiing if you've got either a small chalet on your own or are part of a good team in a massive chalet-hotel.

Ok thank you. I think I'd rather chalet host, with a big company like Mark Warner. I've been told frequently not to bother with companies and find myself a job at an independent ski bar? Apparently the pay is better and hours are more convenient.
anyone know how far in advance you should apply for a Canadian working holiday visa?
Original post by annaworsey
anyone know how far in advance you should apply for a Canadian working holiday visa?

A year.

Ie, if you want one for the 16/17 season, you need to be in the draw to get one next month. They only release a small number.
Original post by Drewski
A year.

Ie, if you want one for the 16/17 season, you need to be in the draw to get one next month. They only release a small number.

Great thank you!!
Reply 565
Does anyone know what Powder White are like to work for. On their reserve list at the moment, just waiting the call now
So I am planning on having a gap year next year before I go to uni and want to do a season in Canada. There are a few companies I've come across who help with gap year seasonnaires to get jobs, accommodation etc but if anyone knows of any others or have had experience with any I would really appreciate some opinions! If anyone has any info on best places to go (I was thinking Whistler or Banff) for a young female snowboarder looking for a fun, social season with tones of great boarding? Any advice on visas would also be fab!Thanks.
Original post by Drewski

yeah or if you've got a lot of money companies like snowskool or ski Le gap will do ski instructor courses so you probably will come to uni with CASI BASI or what have you which is nice to have I'm doing my uk snowsprt at the moment. also look at natives it's kind ow what they do. oh and as a rep part of your job is to ski with the clients so there is that or maybe becoming a ski tech but I'm nt sire how much time they have on snow.
Original post by jonathanemptage
yeah or if you've got a lot of money companies like snowskool or ski Le gap will do ski instructor courses so you probably will come to uni with CASI BASI or what have you which is nice to have I'm doing my uk snowsprt at the moment. also look at natives it's kind ow what they do. oh and as a rep part of your job is to ski with the clients
so there is that or maybe becoming a ski tech but I'm nt sire how much time they have on snow.

Not so much. France has banned that, parts of Austria too. Quite a few Brits have been arrested for it. Not many places will offer ski hosting anymore.

Techs won't have much more time on snow than anybody else.

The instructor courses are fine, but generally don't mean much in Europe unfortunately. All the French resorts are closed to you unless you manage the top tier of qualifications and work for a recognised school. You can get work in Austria, Italy or Andorra, but you'd have a better chance if you were bilingual.
Original post by Drewski
Not so much. France has banned that, parts of Austria too. Quite a few Brits have been arrested for it. Not many places will offer ski hosting anymore.

Techs won't have much more time on snow than anybody else.

The instructor courses are fine, but generally don't mean much in Europe unfortunately. All the French resorts are closed to you unless you manage the top tier of qualifications and work for a recognised school. You can get work in Austria, Italy or Andorra, but you'd have a better chance if you were bilingual.

you could always do courses in the USA Canada for NZ or other counrys that speak english although to go straight in you'll need BASI 3 which costs a lot which is why I recommended training in the country they wanted to work in and ski le gap's courses include french lessons
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jonathanemptage
you could always do courses in the USA Canada for NZ or other counrys that speak english although to go straight in you'll need BASI 3 which costs a lot which is why I recommended training in the country they wanted to work in and ski le gap's courses include french lessons

You don't need a L3. I've got a CSIA L2 and I've worked in Canada, Italy, Austria, France (before the ban) and Japan.
Original post by Drewski
You don't need a L3. I've got a CSIA L2 and I've worked in Canada, Italy, Austria, France (before the ban) and Japan.

sorry I meant LV3 BASI for most countries.
When to apply for 2016/17 season in French Alps?
Original post by studentmcr6
When to apply for 2016/17 season in French Alps?

June / July onwards. Earlier for smaller companies, later for bigger ones.
Reply 574
Hi,

I am looking into doing a ski season next winter (2016/17) and I have a few queries which I was hoping any seasoned seasonaires could help me with.

When is the right time to apply for jobs for next winter?
What experience is required/preferred when applying for jobs working as a rep?
Finally, my friend is also looking into doing a season. Is there any chance we would be able to do it together? I understand this is a long shot!

Liam
Hi JP/All,

I'm looking to do a season in France, and am extremely interested in learning the language whilst I'm at it. I have gathered that working for a big English company isn't the best idea if I want to do this. How do I go about trying to gain a job where I can learn the language?

Felix
Original post by felixadamson
Hi JP/All,

I'm looking to do a season in France, and am extremely interested in learning the language whilst I'm at it. I have gathered that working for a big English company isn't the best idea if I want to do this. How do I go about trying to gain a job where I can learn the language?

Felix

Hi Felix

I've just come back from a season in Meribel and although I worked for an English company, I'd say in a big resort like Meribel you'll find it difficult to properly learn the language unless you really try hard to not hang out with English people and to spend more time with the French seasonnaires going to French bars etc. It might be easier to do if you do a season in smaller, more French resort. Large resorts like Meribel tend to be very English dominated both in tourists and in seasonnaires.

Having said that I was able to pick up a lot of the French that I did at GCSE and my French has definitely improved hugely throughout the season. However this is limited to small talk and customer service phrases rather than anything beyond that. Hope that helps.
Hi guys,

I just did a ski season and thought I'd share the experience I had with a 'Gap Year' company I used this winter in Banff, Canada to get my Ski Instructor Certifications. I used this smaller company called Timberline Canadian Alpine Academy. I enrolled in their Instructor Internship Program. The company is run by two really nice local guys named Brett and James. They had jobs as instructors lined up for us before we arrived and we got the absolute best training while we were there! Many of their competitors seem to put their clients up in hotels or hostels. Brett and James had us sorted with proper houses and apartments in the city centre. Its a season long program so having your own place was ideal over staying in an overcrowded hostel or hotel. We went on lot's of fun group trips together, learned avalanche rescue, wilderness first aid skills and even had a Christmas Dinner together complete with Moose! This is a great local company run by guys who really cared about us. I would recommend them 10 out of 10!
Original post by jbaker95
Hi guys,

I just did a ski season and thought I'd share the experience I had with a 'Gap Year' company I used this winter in Banff, Canada to get my Ski Instructor Certifications. I used this smaller company called Timberline Canadian Alpine Academy. I enrolled in their Instructor Internship Program. The company is run by two really nice local guys named Brett and James. They had jobs as instructors lined up for us before we arrived and we got the absolute best training while we were there! Many of their competitors seem to put their clients up in hotels or hostels. Brett and James had us sorted with proper houses and apartments in the city centre. Its a season long program so having your own place was ideal over staying in an overcrowded hostel or hotel. We went on lot's of fun group trips together, learned avalanche rescue, wilderness first aid skills and even had a Christmas Dinner together complete with Moose! This is a great local company run by guys who really cared about us. I would recommend them 10 out of 10!

So now you've done that, how likely is it you'll actually be able to gain employment as a ski instructor in Canada?
Original post by Dr Pesto
So now you've done that, how likely is it you'll actually be able to gain employment as a ski instructor in Canada?

Depends on a few things:

-Your ability to get the visa (need to apply about a year in advance, they only have limited numbers, its a pure lottery).
-The type of qualification you have, level of certificate and any extras you have on top of that (experience with kids, racing or freestyle add ons, etc).
-Your ability to pester and hound any and all ski schools for a job in the 6 months before the season starts, bearing in mind you've already got - and paid for - the visa, so if you don't get one you're screwed.

The other shot is that you get a sponsored visa through a particular school and a guarantee of employment. These are rarer than rocking horse poo.

(I've also done a ski instructor course in Canada, for the record.)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest