The Student Room Group

So, you want to do a ski season?

Scroll to see replies

I'm planning to do a snowboarding instructors course.. probably in Whistler, Canada as I've heard they do the best qualification in the fact it is valid and respected around the world. Anyone else thinking of doing that, or done it? Or maybe I could do France? Either way, I want my job to be snowboarding all day. What could be better? xx
Reply 41
I'm doing the CSIA course in Fernie, Canada starting this January with Non-Stop Ski and apearlfender will be doing the CASI course with Non-Stop Snowboard.

That's four full days of group instruction every week, a day of private tuition, and at weekends we fill up a coach and either head over to neighbouring ski resorts, go cross-country skiing (and sleep in snow caves), or one of God knows how many other things. And Non-Stop own their own lodge in Fernie, with 40+ bedrooms, several lounges, a restaurant, pool and hot tub and a movie theatre too.

www.nonstopsnowboard.com should answer any questions you have :smile:
I did one in Canada during my GAP year it was awesome! :smile:

Would defo recommend it, loved every minute of being there. Would suggest you complete an RSA (Responsible Service Alcohol course) before your contract, the Australian one is accepted in Canada - think the UK version would be too.

Best of luck if any of you are planning to do this, coz not only did I have a fantastic time but saved enough money to travel to Ontario and see some old friends for a few weeks before going back to Oz :biggrin: xxo
Reply 43
St Anton with Skiworld this year - as a chalet assistant.
I don't think i could have sorted a better season for myself :biggrin:
And Muckers, nice to see you :biggrin: haha
Reply 44
tequila
St Anton with Skiworld this year - as a chalet assistant.
I don't think i could have sorted a better season for myself :biggrin:
And Muckers, nice to see you :biggrin: haha

i know a couple going there too - lou and dave (but they are scottish) say hi to them if you happen to bump into them :smile: st. anton is ace, so i've been told!
Reply 45
Hey, i signed up to this site after seeing this thread, i am 16 getting my GCSE results tomorrow (mostly C's and D's i would expect) and am going to sixth form next year, with travel&tourism being 1 of my options, and i would like to get a job in the ski industry once i have finished school for a year or 2. I can Ski and would be very interested in getting a job abroad at one of these ski resorts, not sure what doing yet (but not a ski instructor or anything similar) i like the idea of being able to ski all winter, so i would be grateful if anyone would be able to give me any advice on anything at all realy, oh and would i expect to have free acomadation and lift passes etc. Cheers in advance! :smile:

Edit: What job's would i have a reliastic chance of getting?
Read the thread, there's loads of advice on everything you've asked.
Reply 47
If you want a career out of it you absolutely must become fluent in French, Spanish, Italian or German as a holiday resort rep has to be able to communicate both with their english customers and with the locals providing the services.

Our rep from my holiday in Claviere last christmas was available for about half an hour in the morning and then after lifts closed, he spent most of the daytime boarding. Most companies will pay your accomodation and your lift passes from what I've seen, but I'd try and get in some experience in hospitality work before applying for a job as a rep and it may not be easy to get a place straight out of college.
Reply 48
GreenCloud
If you want a career as a holiday resort rep you absolutely must become fluent in French, Spanish, Italian or German

fyp
Reply 49
Actually I'd contend that doing any job in foreign resorts would require you to be fluent in one of those four languages, because it's not guaranteed that your co-workers abroad will speak brilliant english.
Reply 50
GreenCloud
Actually I'd contend that doing any job in foreign resorts would require you to be fluent in one of those four languages, because it's not guaranteed that your co-workers abroad will speak brilliant english.

You are very very mistaken my friend. I am speaking from experience.
Snowboard instructors course: Who's done ski le gap? What did you think? What's mont tremblant like as a resort? Is it a good party? Or Banff with Ski le Gap... as an 18 year old busting to Canada, those are the best options for me doing a snowboard instructors course I think? x
Reply 52
i applied for a job as hotel assistant with crystal, but they told me on the phone that it was taken and offered me a chalet assistant job, but i can't cook so i turned it down. but they told me to get in touch in the beginning of december to see if anyone's dropped out in other positions... is this likely? and if someone does drop out...will i have to leave before christmas? not particularly keen on that...
You would probably be expected to leave immediately - most resort work starts from the beginning of December and runs until April. So yes, you would probably have Christmas in resort.

Personally, I can't think of a better way to spend Christmas, given how much of a stinking gimmick it is in the UK. Skiing, booze, and having a good time with new mates - best Christmas I've ever had was on my season!
I definitely want to do a ski season in the gap year I will most probably be having next year. My friend has just gone to do one, I'm so jealous. I've never had the chance to ski before, as my Mother really doesn't like skiing. I would probably do the chalet hosting.. I know that I'd have to do a cooking course before I applied. I wouldn't even know where to look to do a cooking course. Can you do it over like a week/2 weeks, or something? I'd really just like to be able to do something in the beginning of the summer. Do I need to be able to speak french? I'm happy to start learning now. I did French for abour 2 years, quite a while ago though, so I don't remember anything. Also, as I haven't skiied before. Would I just take lessons once I'm out there? How much roughly do they cost?

I know it's way in advance for the 2008/2009 season. But, it is very likely I won't be going to uni next year and even if I do get any offers, I'm not sure I've chosen the right course. So I'm 90% sure I'l'l be taking a gap year. I just want to know now what I'll have to do to make sure I get a place. My parents will want a clear plan if I',m taking a gap year. I also want to know how much money I should save for it. My parents have asked whether I still want to on holiday with them this summer, I could either go or have the money instead. Some of which would go on a holiday with friends.. But, I'd still have about Β£1,500 left. Would that be enough for all the gear and everything else?
Last Summer's Dream
I definitely want to do a ski season in the gap year I will most probably be having next year. My friend has just gone to do one, I'm so jealous. I've never had the chance to ski before, as my Mother really doesn't like skiing. I would probably do the chalet hosting.. I know that I'd have to do a cooking course before I applied. I wouldn't even know where to look to do a cooking course. Can you do it over like a week/2 weeks, or something? I'd really just like to be able to do something in the beginning of the summer. Do I need to be able to speak french? I'm happy to start learning now. I did French for abour 2 years, quite a while ago though, so I don't remember anything. Also, as I haven't skiied before. Would I just take lessons once I'm out there? How much roughly do they cost?
I know it's way in advance for the 2008/2009 season. But, it is very likely I won't be going to uni next year and even if I do get any offers, I'm not sure I've chosen the right course. So I'm 90% sure I'l'l be taking a gap year. I just want to know now what I'll have to do to make sure I get a place. My parents will want a clear plan if I',m taking a gap year. I also want to know how much money I should save for it. My parents have asked whether I still want to on holiday with them this summer, I could either go or have the money instead. Some of which would go on a holiday with friends.. But, I'd still have about Β£1,500 left. Would that be enough for all the gear and everything else?

- Same!
-Go on Natives.co.uk or on skiworld.ltd.uk, both have recommendations of cookery courses.. there's natives own plus ones at places like The Orchard etc
-You don't HAVE to speak French but it would be an advantage if you had some knowledge so don't learn it intensively but get some cd's you can listen to keep up skills without working too hard! Well that's what I'm doing!
- I would just fork out for one or two lessons, not sure how much they are, maybe even private to get the basics then you'll pick it up being there for a season
-Apply for everywhere, be prepared to travel to interviews, get a job as a KP or waitress, preferably the first one as it's a bit more like working at a chalet - also maybe aim for chalet assistant rather than full-on host!
-It depends how high-maintenance you are! But yeah Β£1,500 I'm sure would be enough I think you need a bit to see you through until christmas-ish when you first get paid and if you go to the right places you can get pretty cheap gear, lots of places give free ski and boot hire.

Hope that helps... as you can tell I want to do a ski season too on my gap year. By the way, you can start applying from April-ish!
Guys - natives.co.uk for ski jobs

I'm off to Meribel in January to work in Dicks Tea Bar (also got offered job at the Rond Point)

If you want a job - get calling around now as lots of people drop out or get sacked so replacements are needed. I got my job on the provision that someone did exactly that as I couldn't be in resort until January as I was already skiing in the USA.

Send your CV out to anywhere and the offers will start to come in. If you don't have any luck on natives, try bars direct.
InaSpin
Guys - natives.co.uk for ski jobs

I'm off to Meribel in January to work in Dicks Tea Bar (also got offered job at the Rond Point)

Ha! Small world, I worked at the Ronnie. You will be a regular there, seeing as you're working in Dicks, and I'm sure you'll see a few of their staff at your work too!

You'll have a really, really great time out there.

I am ridiculously jealous.
is it possible to just do a ski season from december - febuary/early march? some of my friends have suddenly decided to change there plans and i cant go intterrailing with them unless i leave the season early...

Or shall i just leave? say iv had a family disaster?
You can just leave BUT go work for a company that don't take too much money from you at the beginning of the season as a bond for exactly those sorts of reasons. Alternatively, could you not stay 'til the end then meet your friends in Europe?

Quick Reply

Latest