The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Postgraduate students accommodation question!!!

Hi guys,

I am gonna do my masters in Sept and I applied for acc back in March, paid the initial fee for my course and accepted the place - everything I need to - but still have heard NO reply!!!

I have seen online that some people here have already gotten acc and I am getting worried. A lot of private housing around Guildford is already gone and I don't wanna wait till the END of August (which is what I have been told by the uni) only to find out I didn't get in anywhere.

So my questions are: does anyone have any experience with this? Is housing for post-grad students guaranteed?

PLEASE help! Thanks. :smile:
Original post by beeba266
Hi guys,

I am gonna do my masters in Sept and I applied for acc back in March, paid the initial fee for my course and accepted the place - everything I need to - but still have heard NO reply!!!

I have seen online that some people here have already gotten acc and I am getting worried. A lot of private housing around Guildford is already gone and I don't wanna wait till the END of August (which is what I have been told by the uni) only to find out I didn't get in anywhere.

So my questions are: does anyone have any experience with this? Is housing for post-grad students guaranteed?

Hey beeba266 - have you tried phoning the uni to check the timelines? Might be worth while. I've tagged their official rep in case they can shed any light for you :smile:
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Hi guys,

Original post by Captain Jack
Hey beeba266 - have you tried phoning the uni to check the timelines? Might be worth while. I've tagged their official rep in case they can shed any light for you :smile:

Hi :smile: I think I might have responded to you in a different thread? If not, I can shed a little light...

Housing on campus is guaranteed for PG students - you can see the full allocations policy here. So no need to worry :smile:

If you haven't applied yet, you can do so here: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/applicants/students/index.htm

Does this help?
Reply 3

Hello,

Thanks a lot. I did and they let me know that acc. is guaranteed to all new students (inc. Ma students!). :smile:
Original post by University of Surrey
Hi :smile: I think I might have responded to you in a different thread? If not, I can shed a little light...

Housing on campus is guaranteed for PG students - you can see the full allocations policy here. So no need to worry :smile:

If you haven't applied yet, you can do so here: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/applicants/students/index.htm

Does this help?

Hello,

Thanks a lot. I did and they let me know that acc. is guaranteed to all new students (inc. Ma students!). :smile:

That's brilliant, glad you've already spoken and sorted it all out :biggrin: happy Thursday!
That's brilliant, glad you've already spoken and sorted it all out :biggrin: happy Thursday!

Happy Thursday! :smile:
Reply 6
Hi guys,

Hey I'm in the same position! I'm living in Guildford atm so was going to pop into the accomodation services on monday to see if they can give me an exact date when they let us know (I need to start planning what to send back to my parents based on room size). I figured after 1st August would be the best time to ask as thats their deadline for postgrad students application so they know how many they'll have.
If i get any info I can let you know x
Reply 7
Original post by lgibson
Hey I'm in the same position! I'm living in Guildford atm so was going to pop into the accomodation services on monday to see if they can give me an exact date when they let us know (I need to start planning what to send back to my parents based on room size). I figured after 1st August would be the best time to ask as thats their deadline for postgrad students application so they know how many they'll have.
If i get any info I can let you know x

Hi all. I'm a Surrey Uni Postgrad living at the Manor Park campus at the moment so thought I would add my experience.

I went through the accommodation application process last year. I didn't apply for accommodation until July but I still got my first choice. I received my offer of accommodation around August 7th, so I'm guessing you might hear be the end of next week.

To give you a bit of extra info, once you accept the offer and pay a deposit they will send you another email asking you to complete your accommodation e-induction. This contains safety information about your residence and some details about your move in day including key collection and arrangements for parking. The campus's are all really busy on move in day, but an army of current students will be on hand to keep traffic moving, give you directions, show you to your rooms and they will even help you unpack the car should you need them to.

One small bit of advice regarding accommodation is to make sure you order the ResNet Wireless Access Kit as soon as it becomes available on the Surrey online store. Last year they cost £12. There is a limited supply every year and if you don't get in there quick enough it can take about a month until new stock arrives. Its amazing how annoying a wired Internet connection gets when most of your devices rely on WiFi!
Reply 8
Original post by TBen93
One small bit of advice regarding accommodation is to make sure you order the ResNet Wireless Access Kit as soon as it becomes available on the Surrey online store. Last year they cost £12. There is a limited supply every year and if you don't get in there quick enough it can take about a month until new stock arrives. Its amazing how annoying a wired Internet connection gets when most of your devices rely on WiFi!

Thats such a good bit of advice thanks! I was in battersea court halls for my first year and we didn't have wifi but i never really noticed a problem however after living in a house for two years i've noticed i do use the wifi on my phone a lot now!

I got my accomodation offer today so your timeframe guess was pretty accurate :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by lgibson
Thats such a good bit of advice thanks! I was in battersea court halls for my first year and we didn't have wifi but i never really noticed a problem however after living in a house for two years i've noticed i do use the wifi on my phone a lot now!

I got my accomodation offer today so your timeframe guess was pretty accurate :smile:

I also got my offer today! Where will you be staying?
Reply 10
Original post by Pyxel
I also got my offer today! Where will you be staying?

Bellerby Court :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by lgibson
Bellerby Court :smile:

Cool! Is it a Band D room?
Band D was my first choice, but I got my second, band C. I'll be living on University Court :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Pyxel
Cool! Is it a Band D room?
Band D was my first choice, but I got my second, band C. I'll be living on University Court :smile:

I got mine too! :smile:
I am in Millennium House, but I am wondering - I wanted to be in an all female residence, how will I know if I am or not?
Reply 13
I got mine too! :smile:
I am in Millennium House, but I am wondering - I wanted to be in an all female residence, how will I know if I am or not?

Hum, I have no idea :/ Maybe if you email the Accomodation Services, they will be able to give that information?
I am curious about that too, but I actually don't mind if I'm in single-sex or mixed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending