The Student Room Group

Which route do you think is better?

Which route? Which would be better on a CV: (1) private school A Levels (more likely to get As and Bs) or (2) Apprenticeship which counts as work experience?

(1) A-Levels at a very good HMC school:
- Geography
- French
- Classical Civilisation
- General Studies

or

(2) Paid Apprenticeship at a pharmacy and obtain these two:
- Level 2 Certificate in Pharmacy Service Skills (NVQ)(QCF)
- BTEC Level 2 Certificate in Pharmaceutical Science

Thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)
A levels. Much better career options.
Reply 2
Original post by maggiedavies
Which route? Which would be better on a CV: (1) private school A Levels (more likely to get As and Bs) or (2) Apprenticeship which counts as work experience?

- Geography
- French
- Classical Civilisation
- General Studies

or

(2)Apprenticeship at a pharmacy and obtain these two:

Thanks.

The CV doesn't define you, you define it. So choose which way you want to go.
(personally, I'd do the A-level option though)

- Geography
- French
- Classical Civilisation
- General Studies

or

(2)Apprenticeship at a pharmacy and obtain these two:

Thanks.

Definitely A levels although I wouldn't class general studies as a very good one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends on what you'd like to do afterwards, but in general A-Levels are preferable.
Original post by mmt1997
Depends on what you'd like to do afterwards, but in general A-Levels are preferable.

I think I would like to go to university. For example,
University of Liverpool if I got good A Level grades.
LJMU if I only got 'decent' grades at A level.

Or, if I did the apprenticeship and had no A Levels then I'd go to Open University.
I think I would like to go to university. For example,
University of Liverpool if I got good A Level grades.
LJMU if I only got 'decent' grades at A level.

Or, if I did the apprenticeship and had no A Levels then I'd go to Open University.

Uni of Liverpool isn't good. Go for Uni of Manchester, it's better.
A-Levels, definitely. Although, you plan on taking either A-Levels which are all non-academic, or a science-based apprenticeship. If you plan on doing a science-based job, then take different A-Levels. Those will be useless in an academic career, although they'd still be better than an apprenticeship.
Original post by DueHurricane

I do not go there myself but Liverpool is definitely a VERY GOOD university!

Original post by General Josh
A-Levels, definitely. Although, you plan on taking either A-Levels which are all non-academic, or a science-based apprenticeship. If you plan on doing a science-based job, then take different A-Levels. Those will be useless in an academic career, although they'd still be better than an apprenticeship.

^^^ That is perfect advice right there.
Original post by DueHurricane

What about University of East London?
And Uni of Liv is a founding member of Russell Group + the entry requirements are sky high!

Original post by General Josh

I see what you mean. I do have an interest in science but don't meet the entry requirements for Bio and Chem, hence why I chose those random A Levels. Also, University of East London do 'Biomedical Science' with a Foundation Year
and the entry requirements for that are "passes at A2 in at least 1 subject" - though I plan to pass all of them (if I was to go to Sixth Form) and need 160 UCAS points.
(edited 8 years ago)

- Geography
- French
- Classical Civilisation
- General Studies

or

Thanks.

A levels by far. Hang on if you want to go into pharmacy then why are you doing essay subjects? And also is that a list of AS or A2? If it's AS then you should do general studies only as a 5th extra as a lot of unis, especially Russell group and etc wouldnt count it as your a level. If you're planning to go down the scientific route you should do at least two sciency subjects, probably any two from bio, chem and maths
Original post by RonnieRJ
A levels by far. Hang on if you want to go into pharmacy then why are you doing essay subjects? And also is that a list of AS or A2? If it's AS then you should do general studies only as a 5th extra as a lot of unis, especially Russell group and etc wouldnt count it as your a level. If you're planning to go down the scientific route you should do at least two sciency subjects, probably any two from bio, chem and maths

Thanks.
Not really that into pharmacy in particular - only applied for the apprenticeship for work experience tbh. I do have an interest in Science as a career choice. I don't know if the head of departments were as high as the entry requirements are for Science and Maths when they decided on them.
Hence why I chose the humanity/essay based A Levels. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12

- Geography
- French
- Classical Civilisation
- General Studies

or

Thanks.

I think the Pharmacy apprenticeship is really good if you want to become a Pharmacist. But you would need to do the NVQ Level 3 Pharmacy Technician then you could do the Pharmacy foundation degree in The University Of East Anglia to become a Pharmacist. Employability wise those A-levels are not too good. But remember the important thing is to do what makes you happy:smile:. Hope this helps!
Reply 13

- Geography
- French
- Classical Civilisation
- General Studies

or

Thanks.

Defo A levels tho you might want to reconsider general studies as most good unis dont really accept it.
French and gepgraphy are strong A Levels. But you should think what you want to do after uni. If it's something sciencey, you'll need sciences. Other courses accept a larger variety of subjects. Definitely consider swapping general studies for something else.
Original post by Sayfi
I think the Pharmacy apprenticeship is really good if you want to become a Pharmacist. But you would need to do the NVQ Level 3 Pharmacy Technician then you could do the Pharmacy foundation degree in The University Of East Anglia to become a Pharmacist. Employability wise those A-levels are not too good. But remember the important thing is to do what makes you happy:smile:. Hope this helps!

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 16
Thank you! :smile:

You're welcome! If you choose that route Please let me know as I am planning on doing the same.
Original post by Sayfi
You're welcome! If you choose that route Please let me know as I am planning on doing the same.

I guess I'll let you know on August 20th. GCSE results will determine everything! :smile:
Reply 18
I guess I'll let you know on August 20th. GCSE results will determine everything! :smile:

Oh so were both in the same shoes:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest