The Student Room Group

How to tell if someone is a narcissist when they genuinely are exceptional?

I think there is something...different with my boyfriend.

I know this sounds bad but I can't tell if he has a lack of empathy because he's high functioning autistic or has narcissistic personality disorder.

Like he does blow his own trumpet a lot....but then he does have a first class maths degree from cambridge. He is exceptionally clever and has an exceptional job for his age.... but then he is also arrogant about his looks (which is weird because he's probably the worst looking guy I've gone out with in every sense: doesn't work out, clothes don't fit him, facial features. I've had to bite my lip several times when he tells me he's sooo handsome and how everry female fancies him ).

What really is affecting me me is his seeming lack of empathy. My best friend has said to me recently, 'Before you went out with him your self esteem was really healthy but now it's really quite low and I feel like he's done this with all the insensitive things he says and does, they've built up to knock you down'.

I just honestly can't tell which it is, His bestfriend thinks it's ASD: he has family with austism and obviously the maths degree but then why would he keep banging on about his attractiveness if it was just that?
Original post by Anonymous

Like he does blow his own trumpet a lot....but then he does have a first class maths degree from cambridge. He is exceptionally clever and has an exceptional job for his age.... but then he is also arrogant about his looks (which is weird because he's probably the worst looking guy I've gone out with in every sense: doesn't work out, clothes don't fit him, facial features. I've had to bite my lip several times when he tells me he's sooo handsome and how everry female fancies him ).

Talk to him about what you don't like, if he doesn't change then he's clearly not the guy for you.
Reply 2
Original post by Andrew657Thomas
Talk to him about what you don't like, if he doesn't change then he's clearly not the guy for you.

I can put up with him telling me he's uber attractive when he's not.

I just can't put up with feeling hurt so regularly because of his lack of empathy. I could try and maybe understand it if it was austism and come forward with it but if it is narcissism I should probably run.
Sounds more like autism to me but either way you shouldn't have to put up with his lack of empathy. You'd leave him if he was a narcissist, but grin and bear it if he was an autist - that doesn't make sense, as both are disorders which can't really be helped, it's just society has decided one is worthy of contempt and one of sympathy.
As the above poster said, it doesn't matter which it is - if he's making you feel like this then you need to get out of the relationship. Your partner should make you feel good about yourself - you should think they're gorgeous and you should feel beautiful and appreciated when they are with you.

Clearly that isn't how you feel and so you need to put yourself first and find someone who will appreciate you.
Reply 5
Original post by scrotgrot
Sounds more like autism to me but either way you shouldn't have to put up with his lack of empathy. You'd leave him if he was a narcissist, but grin and bear it if he was an autist - that doesn't make sense, as both are disorders which can't really be helped, it's just society has decided one is worthy of contempt and one of sympathy.

It makes sense to me because my previous experience of narcissists are that they will abuse you and they need profound psychiatric help before they can function in a healthy relationship . Where as with autism, their lack of empathy is more a lack of awareness and if they can become aware of how you feel they will try not to make you feel bad, they just find it hard to pick up on non-verbal signals such as facial expressions, body language .

There are two types of empathy, cognitive and affective and what I find troubling with narcissists is that they have the cognitive (they recognise how you are feeling) they just fail to respond to distressing emotions other display (affective). Where as, most people with high functioning autism seem to have the problem in the recognition aspect but once aware of an emotion, choose to respond to it (although can have trouble in responding in a way that atypical people find 'appropriate'.

Decided the guy is not a narcissist but we are breaking up anyway due to other issues (religion).
It makes sense to me because my previous experience of narcissists are that they will abuse you and they need profound psychiatric help before they can function in a healthy relationship . Where as with autism, their lack of empathy is more a lack of awareness and if they can become aware of how you feel they will try not to make you feel bad, they just find it hard to pick up on non-verbal signals such as facial expressions, body language .

There are two types of empathy, cognitive and affective and what I find troubling with narcissists is that they have the cognitive (they recognise how you are feeling) they just fail to respond to distressing emotions other display (affective). Where as, most people with high functioning autism seem to have the problem in the recognition aspect but once aware of an emotion, choose to respond to it (although can have trouble in responding in a way that atypical people find 'appropriate'.

Decided the guy is not a narcissist but we are breaking up anyway due to other issues (religion).

OK fair enough, I understand where it comes from on a personal level but if we are considering both things to be "mental disorders" that "the real person", whoever that is, "suffers from", I still think it is a bit unfair to take the view that a cognitive defect is OK while an affective defect is not.

It's a tough situation similar to how we "shouldn't" really convict a psychopath of murder... how much is (s)he responsible, what even is the "(s)he" vs the "disorder".
Tbh if it's getting to you this much it's not your job to change him it'll bring you down and he might walk away unscathed. He sounds fine like he'll just get with all these girls if you leave so maybe think about plan b at the end of the day it is not your role to be his support worker. I know what it's like taking care of someone who can't always appreciate your problems or be there for you when you need it and if they like he seem to be fine I'd get shot. You're not getting paid for this ****.
I think there is something...different with my boyfriend.

I know this sounds bad but I can't tell if he has a lack of empathy because he's high functioning autistic or has narcissistic personality disorder.

What really is affecting me me is his seeming lack of empathy. My best friend has said to me recently, 'Before you went out with him your self esteem was really healthy but now it's really quite low and I feel like he's done this with all the insensitive things he says and does, they've built up to knock you down'.

I just honestly can't tell which it is, His bestfriend thinks it's ASD: he has family with austism and obviously the maths degree but then why would he keep banging on about his attractiveness if it was just that?

That gave me a mental picture of a guy sucking his own dick
Reply 9
Original post by scrotgrot
OK fair enough, I understand where it comes from on a personal level but if we are considering both things to be "mental disorders" that "the real person", whoever that is, "suffers from", I still think it is a bit unfair to take the view that a cognitive defect is OK while an affective defect is not.

It's a tough situation similar to how we "shouldn't" really convict a psychopath of murder... how much is (s)he responsible, what even is the "(s)he" vs the "disorder".

I guess there's a fine line between 'mental' and 'neurodevelopmental' disorder. Maybe it's unfair but we all have our personal lines of what we can, and cannot accept in a relationship. I have been in a relationship with someone with a personality disorder before and I ended up in trauma counselling because of what happened. Where as I can not imagine someone with high functioning autism negatively impacting my mental health to such an extent.

That is a tough question but tbh I'd convict the psychopath for the safety of everyone else (obviously isolated rehabilitation would be preferential). To what extent they are responsible is debatable but if they have already murdered someone, another murder needs to be prevented from happening.
Original post by driftawaay
That gave me a mental picture of a guy sucking his own dick

me too lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending