The Student Room Group

What is A level sociology and philosophy and ethics like

If anyone is doing those subjects or one of them, how do you find it?

Are they hard? lots of essays?

Any info will be appreciated.
Original post by 08Mercyf
If anyone is doing those subjects or one of them, how do you find it?

Are they hard? lots of essays?

Any info will be appreciated.

ah memories, I did them both as school.
Sociology is the study of society, what makes society and has different theories which explain different aspects of it, for example feminism, Marxism etc.. you get the picture. It was extremely enjoyable because I found it interesting.
RE (grouping both philosophy and ethics together) was the same as Sociology as in there are different theories explaining religion, quite vast.
There are a lot of essays to do for both these subjects, in time you'll enjoy doing them and will be glad you did as they would come in handy when revising, and learning exam technique.
Sociology and RE aren't hard subjects to learn about if you are interested in them. Majority of my class enjoyed the subject, however if you are just thinking of picking it without committing to the reading and the essays-odds are you won't understand the lessons, homework etc and get a bad grade. At the end of the day A Levels aren't easy :smile:
I done AS pilosophy and ethics before and it's really interesting and yes there is a lot of essays involved. The exam time is relatively short thus you are required to write fast + know your arguments. Other than that, it's a great subject and I do recommend.
Reply 3
Original post by maryamzahid
ah memories, I did them both as school.
Sociology is the study of society, what makes society and has different theories which explain different aspects of it, for example feminism, Marxism etc.. you get the picture. It was extremely enjoyable because I found it interesting.
RE (grouping both philosophy and ethics together) was the same as Sociology as in there are different theories explaining religion, quite vast.
There are a lot of essays to do for both these subjects, in time you'll enjoy doing them and will be glad you did as they would come in handy when revising, and learning exam technique.
Sociology and RE aren't hard subjects to learn about if you are interested in them. Majority of my class enjoyed the subject, however if you are just thinking of picking it without committing to the reading and the essays-odds are you won't understand the lessons, homework etc and get a bad grade. At the end of the day A Levels aren't easy :smile:

Thanks for the reply and what advice would you give for someone starting these subjects In September as in what to quickly revise/ go through?
Reply 4
Original post by quentinhamilton
I done AS pilosophy and ethics before and it's really interesting and yes there is a lot of essays involved. The exam time is relatively short thus you are required to write fast + know your arguments. Other than that, it's a great subject and I do recommend.

Thanks for the reply and what do you suggest I go through before starting this subject?
Thanks for the reply and what advice would you give for someone starting these subjects In September as in what to quickly revise/ go through?

I recommend revision guides from the exam board. they are so easy to use as well as nearly all of them contain model answers to essay questions, which is good especially if you're aiming for a top mark.
Also, ask the teacher for clarification when stuck on a question. It will make revising a lot easier if you knew what you were actually revising.
Thanks for the reply and what do you suggest I go through before starting this subject?

You don't really need to go through topics of the subject regarding the fact it's an essay subject which requires you to memorise essays. However, you can go through utilitarianism (Bentham, Mill and Singer)- it's usually taught first and it's quite straightforward.
Reply 7
Original post by maryamzahid
I recommend revision guides from the exam board. they are so easy to use as well as nearly all of them contain model answers to essay questions, which is good especially if you're aiming for a top mark.
Also, ask the teacher for clarification when stuck on a question. It will make revising a lot easier if you knew what you were actually revising.

Ok, thanks for the reply.
Reply 8
Original post by quentinhamilton
You don't really need to go through topics of the subject regarding the fact it's an essay subject which requires you to memorise essays. However, you can go through utilitarianism (Bentham, Mill and Singer)- it's usually taught first and it's quite straightforward.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest