The Student Room Group

I don't know which Sixth form to go to!

Ok, so I start sixth form this coming September and I still can't decide where i want to go and could really benefit from some advice.

School A is close to home, allows me to pick all the subjects i want to do while still being around some people i know from high school (quite frankly i'm terrified about meeting new people but i know it's inevitable.) The school gets good results but not as amazing as school B.

School B would require extra travelling and starting entirely from scratch, i don't know anybody there and they only do the very traditional subjects however the results people achieve are outstanding and they really help you get work experience and other opportunities.

I think it's important that i mention that regardless of where i go i'm going to work super hard. I think the idea of starting in a totally new place with completely new people is scary and also the thought of having to travel more for the second school. My high school does not have a sixth form.

Please tell me what you would do in this position!

Scroll to see replies

Go with school A. It sounds like you want to go to school A but are too hung up on statistics. Hard work will almost always cancel out a worse school.
Reply 2
Original post by MorganAmber
Ok, so I start sixth form this coming September and I still can't decide where i want to go and could really benefit from some advice.

School A is close to home, allows me to pick all the subjects i want to do while still being around some people i know from high school (quite frankly i'm terrified about meeting new people but i know it's inevitable.) The school gets good results but not as amazing as school B.

School B would require extra travelling and starting entirely from scratch, i don't know anybody there and they only do the very traditional subjects however the results people achieve are outstanding and they really help you get work experience and other opportunities.

I think it's important that i mention that regardless of where i go i'm going to work super hard. I think the idea of starting in a totally new place with completely new people is scary and also the thought of having to travel more for the second school. My high school does not have a sixth form.

School A as you can still do what you want to in a more comfortable environment. Have you been on an induction day for both?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by aamirac
School A as you can still do what you want to in a more comfortable environment. Have you been on an induction day for both?

I've been to the induction day for school B and it was terrifying, things got better as the day progressed but i'm wondering if i'm more likely to succeed in a environment where i feel more at home, i still have a month to decide but everyone around me has made a decision and i'm panicking!
Reply 4
Original post by loperdoper
Go with school A. It sounds like you want to go to school A but are too hung up on statistics. Hard work will almost always cancel out a worse school.

I like to think my hard work will really help but i can't help but think that school B will really benefit me when it's time to go to university. At the end of the day isn't that what sixth form is about?
Reply 5
I've been to the induction day for school B and it was terrifying, things got better as the day progressed but i'm wondering if i'm more likely to succeed in a environment where i feel more at home, i still have a month to decide but everyone around me has made a decision and i'm panicking!

Considering you are willing to work hard regardless and you see yourself successful in both I think it will be better at A as it the transition would be that much easier because you know your way around the school and the system.
Don't worry about it, I'm in the same boat. (Don't even know what subjects to do yet).
(edited 8 years ago)
When it comes to sixth form it doesn't actually matter because the only thing that will will influence your grades is yourself because no mater what everyone takes the same exam at the end of the year.

Therefore you will have a much better time at 'School A'.
Reply 7
Original post by aamirac
Considering you are willing to work hard regardless and you see yourself successful in both I think it will be better at A as it the transition would be that much easier because you know your way around the school and the system.
Don't worry about it, I'm in the same boat. (Don't even know what subjects to do yet).

I think you could be right! I had cousins who went to School B and ended up with really good grades and i'm not sure if that may be swaying me. I'm not fully decided on my subjects either, it's hard because i don't know what i want to do career wise yet, i'm just feeling a lot of pressure to make these big decisions.
Reply 8
Original post by Lemon Haze
When it comes to sixth form it doesn't actually matter because the only thing that will will influence your grades is yourself because no mater what everyone takes the same exam at the end of the year.

Therefore you will have a much better time at 'School A'.

Very true! Although the statistics at school B are impressive, i think much of my hesitation comes down to not knowing anybody there. I found the people a little intimidating. My only thought is will i regret it eventually when i know school B presents great opportunities for their students.
Very true! Although the statistics at school B are impressive, i think much of my hesitation comes down to not knowing anybody there. I found the people a little intimidating. My only thought is will i regret it eventually when i know school B presents great opportunities for their students.

Its only sixth form, what can they really offer you that will get you those extra marks in the exams?
I think you could be right! I had cousins who went to School B and ended up with really good grades and i'm not sure if that may be swaying me. I'm not fully decided on my subjects either, it's hard because i don't know what i want to do career wise yet, i'm just feeling a lot of pressure to make these big decisions.

Try to ignore the pressure, it's your studies and you've got until results day to make your mind up.
I know this is a bit cliché, but do what you enjoy, the ones that you see yourself doing well at. Because at A-level if you don't enjoy it, you may not have the incentive to work as hard. Did you speak to any of the teachers at school B to see how they are taught?
(edited 8 years ago)
Tubes cost a hell of a lot of money so if you can save as a well as go to a decent sixth form (which in this case is school A) then do so.
Get a map of your area, blindfold yourself, throw a dart at it, wherever dart hits is your new school
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Tubes cost a hell of a lot of money so if you can save as a well as go to a decent sixth form (which in this case is school A) then do so.

I live in the middle of no where, a bus is the most common form of transport to both schools :u:
You need to work for yourself and not for the school, the school B just happens to have a lot of hardworking pupils that managed to put it up in the league tables and whatnot. From the sounds of it you like school A and it's nice to be in an environment where you feel comfortable :h:

I live in the middle of no where, a bus is the most common form of transport to both schools :u:
You need to work for yourself and not for the school, the school B just happens to have a lot of hardworking pupils that managed to put it up in the league tables and whatnot. From the sounds of it you like school A and it's nice to be in an environment where you feel comfortable :h:

I think you may be right! Just need to decide on my subjects now :bigsmile:
Yeah me too, I have School A and School B.
School A is a alot closer and everyone I know form secondary schoool will be there. However, the problem is that, I have changed my mind vastly on the subjetcs I want to take, and don't know if I can change em.

School B, I am studying evrything I want to. However, I have to take the bus, something I don't want to do.

School B don't let year fears stop you for achieving your potential I know it is scary I went to 3 secondary schools and 3 primary schools your education is very important more important then friends be selfish for ones because it will benefit you in the future don't let people stop because if you are capable of something go for it it is better to do what you were scared of then not because you will have regret if you don't try something you want. You will regret something more if you did not try it then if you try it and it does not work out so please go to school B it will be one of the best decisions you can make. IT CAN BE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GOING TO YOUR UNIVERSITY OF CHOICE AND NOT GOING TO UNIVERSITY AT ALL.

this is not true the school I went previously was and because the teachers were bad and the school I go to now is one of the best in the uk because the teachers are better not because of the pupils. Teachers make the school stand out because they are the ones who motivate you to push yourself and work harder.
Original post by Maria1812
this is not true the school I went previously was and because the teachers were bad and the school I go to now is one of the best in the uk because the teachers are better not because of the pupils. Teachers make the school stand out because they are the ones who motivate you to push yourself and work harder.

But then again there are some rubbish teachers and pupils take it upon themselves by using their initiative to do extra work outside of the lesson to fill gaps that their teacher haven't there is such thing as "independent learners" who learn better outside of the classroom as well as on their own, but it does help when the teacher gives you good resources to work with from the beginning. Even if you had a great teacher, your success is partly due to the effort that you yourself put into your work too.

Quick Reply

Latest