The Student Room Group

Can my internship salary be used to negotiate a better starting salary elsewhere?

I got really lucky and secured a summer internship that pays extremely well. My current salary is in line with what a fully fledged graduate would be receiving, as opposed to a lower rate for interns which is the norm (I believe).

However, I am exploring different career paths and could very well make a move to insurance or political risk consultancy in a year's time following my graduation.

My question is, would I be able to leverage my current salary against potential employers in insurance and consultancy in order to get a higher pay (perhaps even match or surpass my current pay rate)? Or are they fairly non-negotiable and rigid when it comes to university leavers on grad schemes?
Original post by Swamitch
I got really lucky and secured a summer internship that pays extremely well. My current salary is in line with what a fully fledged graduate would be receiving, as opposed to a lower rate for interns which is the norm (I believe).

However, I am exploring different career paths and could very well make a move to insurance or political risk consultancy in a year's time following my graduation.

My question is, would I be able to leverage my current salary against potential employers in insurance and consultancy in order to get a higher pay (perhaps even match or surpass my current pay rate)? Or are they fairly non-negotiable and rigid when it comes to university leavers on grad schemes?

I would not negotiate, because all the grads on that particular scheme would get paid the scheme, if it was a grad job then i could understand. But negotiating a grad scheme offer is non-neogiable and gives the impression you are greedy lol. However you can mention it if they ask what your salary expectations are at any stage.
Reply 2
Original post by daindian
I would not negotiate, because all the grads on that particular scheme would get paid the scheme, if it was a grad job then i could understand. But negotiating a grad scheme offer is non-neogiable and gives the impression you are greedy lol. However you can mention it if they ask what your salary expectations are at any stage.

Thanks for the reply. I see what you mean about seeing greedy, but I suppose it can't hurt to put it on the table in a tactful and sensible way right.

As a sidenote, you seem to differentiate between a grad job and a grad scheme in your answer. Could you elaborate on what the difference is please?
Original post by Swamitch
Thanks for the reply. I see what you mean about seeing greedy, but I suppose it can't hurt to put it on the table in a tactful and sensible way right.

As a sidenote, you seem to differentiate between a grad job and a grad scheme in your answer. Could you elaborate on what the difference is please?

If they don't ask about salary expectations don't say anything
a grad scheme essentially is a 1-3 year structured training scheme, in some cases rotational within different departments. in other cases include study support for professional qualifications. Furthermore on a grad scheme there will likely be more graduates joining with you. In some cases a successful internship may lead to a a grad scheme offer. at the end of the grad scheme, you either more into a specific business area, an area of your choice or can leave. A grad job, is essentially just a job for a graduate, the training is not as much and not as structured . A grad scheme normally offers faster profession as a result of the better training. The majority of graduates do not get onto a scheme. I was lucky in that sense. Furthemeroe one difference from a personal point of view, is the recruitment process for a grad scheme includes an assessment centre, and online tests, a grad job is normally just interviews. Plus for a grad scheme the pay tends to be higher. if you have any more questions just ask
Do not negotiate- for every role you apply for there'll be a queue of 100 people behind you who will accept what they're offering
Ignore the numbers and the numbers will ignore you bro.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending