The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by josephinemar25
Hey I'm not sure whether or not to give Cambridge or imperial a shot.
I got the same results as you minus Chinese.
These are my UMS scores. Worth a go or should I not bother?

Maths A level : 549/600Chemistry AS level: 290/300Physics AS level: 266/300

Your UMS of those 3 subjects are much higher than me. (92.3% comparing to 87.6% for me) I suggest you should definitely give a shot of those unis. noted that imperial doesn't know your AS UMS. (I have ECF btw)
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey guys, I got an A*AB in A2 overall in Maths, Chemistry and Biology respectively. I'm pretty annoyed at the B as I got an A in the exams but my coursework was very low (cheers Bio department). I'm not sure where to apply with my grades as I recently asked Manchester whether the grades would suffice and they straight up said no even though their entry requirements are AAA.
Original post by Ned Stark
Hey guys, I got an A*AB in A2 overall in Maths, Chemistry and Biology respectively. I'm pretty annoyed at the B as I got an A in the exams but my coursework was very low (cheers Bio department). I'm not sure where to apply with my grades as I recently asked Manchester whether the grades would suffice and they straight up said no even though their entry requirements are AAA.

find AAB unis like surrey and loughborough. are you taking a gap year?

Hey when I went to the Nottingham and Sheffield open day I spoke to a number of current undergraduates who when I asked them what grades they had achieved in their a levels they said AAB, despite missing their offer they were still accepted. And you're grades are higher then this so ring around and I am sure you will be able to secure a place and a good Russell group uni for chem eng. Manchester is only one uni. Also you're B is in a not so relevant subject.

I got my insurance offer of AAA confirmed at Sheffield University having the same grades as you (with Spanish in place of Biology). How come you didn't try and get something through clearing or are you just taking a gap year?
Reply 25
Original post by robster01
I got my insurance offer of AAA confirmed at Sheffield University having the same grades as you (with Spanish in place of Biology). How come you didn't try and get something through clearing or are you just taking a gap year?

You doing chem eng ?
Original post by dahl786
You doing chem eng ?

MEng Chemical Engineering w) Biotechnology, yeah :smile: we start in a couple of weeks
Reply 27
Original post by robster01
MEng Chemical Engineering w) Biotechnology, yeah :smile: we start in a couple of weeks

Cool, im starting MEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering at Uni of Nottingham
Does chemical engineering even go into clearing? Just wondering
I am applying for Chem eng this year I got ABCE in Maths Chemistry economics,Geography I also have EPQ which is yet to return I've dropped geog but I'm looking to be predicted A*AA in maths chemistry economics or A*AB I was thinking of picking up Furthermaths AS this year I have average Gcse that meet the requirements but can I apply will I get in am I good enough? And if I don't pick up Furthermaths am I at a disadvantage because I don't have physics or further maths?? HELP someone tell me my chances

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Subeyr Ahmed 124
I am applying for Chem eng this year I got ABCE in Maths Chemistry economics,Geography I also have EPQ which is yet to return I've dropped geog but I'm looking to be predicted A*AA in maths chemistry economics or A*AB I was thinking of picking up Furthermaths AS this year I have average Gcse that meet the requirements but can I apply will I get in am I good enough? And if I don't pick up Furthermaths am I at a disadvantage because I don't have physics or further maths?? HELP someone tell me my chances

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really can do better and I know I can get at least 2A*s but is it worth picking up Furthermaths AS and would it help me secure offers from Manchester and bath as my reference would explain why I got a C in economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arch0wnz

yes, B'ham chem eng in 2013 clearing
Original post by Subeyr Ahmed 124

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes you are in disadvantage with no physics and further maths. chem eng is probably one of the most competitive course in uk, so be realistic.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by lai812matthew
yes you are in disadvantage with no physics and further maths. chem eng is probably one of the most competitive course in uk, so be realistic.

EEE tops chem eng imo
Reply 34
Sup all,looking to apply for chemeng at bath or manchester but would love to apply for imperial but my pred grades are just under (A*AA in maths chemistry and further maths , imperial require 2 A*s). Should i still go for imperial?

Also whats everyone done for their PS, im struggling to write stuff down as ive done pretty much nothing in the past relevant to chem eng.
Original post by dahl786
EEE tops chem eng imo

20 years ago your statement is definitely true, now I don't think is the same.
also he can't apply for EEE with the lack of physics.
Reply 36
Original post by arch0wnz

I wrote down the universities that were in clearing this year for chem eng:

Aberdeen
Aston
Bradford
Chester
Huddersfield
Hull
Lancaster
London South Bank
Queen's Belfast
Sheffield
Strathclyde
Swansea
Teesside
West of Scotland
Wolverhampton

Not all the best universities, but there's a couple of good ones in there :h:
Reply 37
Original post by Darcy1
Sup all,looking to apply for chemeng at bath or manchester but would love to apply for imperial but my pred grades are just under (A*AA in maths chemistry and further maths , imperial require 2 A*s). Should i still go for imperial?

Also whats everyone done for their PS, im struggling to write stuff down as ive done pretty much nothing in the past relevant to chem eng.

Personally I think it's worth applying, especially with a full A-level in further maths. Even if you don't get an offer you still have four other universities to fall back on :smile:

I'm struggling with my PS as well, as I have no engineering-specific experience either. I'm just writing about some chemistry stuff I've done (a masterclass and work experience), some maths talks I've been too and some vaguely related books.
Reply 38
Original post by Zaffre
Personally I think it's worth applying, especially with a full A-level in further maths. Even if you don't get an offer you still have four other universities to fall back on :smile:

I'm struggling with my PS as well, as I have no engineering-specific experience either. I'm just writing about some chemistry stuff I've done (a masterclass and work experience), some maths talks I've been too and some vaguely related books.

Wow nice, would you elaborate on the masterclass and work exp a bit?
Reply 39
Original post by Darcy1
Wow nice, would you elaborate on the masterclass and work exp a bit?

The masterclass was at Cambridge. There were a couple of lectures (one was on organic chemistry, the other on NMR spectroscopy) and then a talk on their admissions process. I'll make it sound fancier in my PS though :wink:

The work experience I did was at Rutherford Appleton Laboratory for two weeks. I worked with a research scientist on the structure of perovskites (a specific crystalline stucture). I got to work with microwave reactors and thermal x-ray diffractometers and all this fancy stuff - it was actually really interesting :biggrin: Not too engineering related but I think it helps show a passion for chemistry :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest