The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lai812matthew
find AAB unis like surrey and loughborough. are you taking a gap year?

Yep, I'm looking for some work experience specific to Chemical Engineering atm but it's quite difficult.

Original post by josephinemar25
Hey when I went to the Nottingham and Sheffield open day I spoke to a number of current undergraduates who when I asked them what grades they had achieved in their a levels they said AAB, despite missing their offer they were still accepted. And you're grades are higher then this so ring around and I am sure you will be able to secure a place and a good Russell group uni for chem eng. Manchester is only one uni. Also you're B is in a not so relevant subject.

Sending around quite a few emails so I can get some clarification, cheers for the advice.

Original post by robster01
I got my insurance offer of AAA confirmed at Sheffield University having the same grades as you (with Spanish in place of Biology). How come you didn't try and get something through clearing or are you just taking a gap year?

Checked out clearing but I wasn't really looking at going to those unis for chemeng. Taking a gap year felt like the right thing to do because I'm not ready for uni at all in so many ways and I want to get some experience with chemeng so that I'm more ready for what to expect rather than go through adjustment and go in blind.
Reply 41
Hey ! :smile: I'm applying to study chemical engineering this year, surprise surprise, and I would really appreciate if somebody could give me an idea of the sort of questions unis will ask at interview
Reply 42
Original post by nhtw
Hey ! :smile: I'm applying to study chemical engineering this year, surprise surprise, and I would really appreciate if somebody could give me an idea of the sort of questions unis will ask at interview

Why do u want to study chem eng
Reply 43
Original post by dahl786
Why do u want to study chem eng

wouldn't they ask a load of technical questions aswell. btw its for the money lol
Reply 44
Yh they do, regarding its the highest paid but not many jobs...thats the catch
Do all unis ask you to come for an interview or is it just specific ones?
Reply 46
Original post by arch0wnz
Do all unis ask you to come for an interview or is it just specific ones?

Top uni for demanding courses, yes
Original post by dahl786
Top uni for demanding courses, yes

Loughborough, UCL?
Reply 48
Loughborough, UCL?

Loughborough, no
Ucl, yes
Reply 49
Loughborough, UCL?

Original post by dahl786
Loughborough, no
Ucl, yes

Loughborough does interview:
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/departments/chemical/chemical-engineering/

Look at "Course details" and then under the sub-heading "Selection" :tongue:
Reply 50
Original post by Zaffre
Loughborough does interview:
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/departments/chemical/chemical-engineering/

Look at "Course details" and then under the sub-heading "Selection" :tongue:

Not all students
Reply 51
Original post by dahl786
Not all students

Really? Sorry, I didn't know - I've just seen a lot of people asking about what to wear and what will be asked at their Loughborough chem eng interviews. Where did you find that out?
Reply 52
Original post by dahl786
Not all students

Dude:
"Applicants will be invited for interview, and will have the opportunity to see halls of residence, the campus and the Department, and to meet staff and students."

Lboro interviews
Chem Eng, yes
Mech Eng, no
EEE, no
Reply 53
Does chemical engineering even go into clearing? Just wondering

This year Manchester and Loughborough were in clearing
Reply 54
Original post by Zaffre
Really? Sorry, I didn't know - I've just seen a lot of people asking about what to wear and what will be asked at their Loughborough chem eng interviews. Where did you find that out?

If you interest in going to Loughborough I could help you.
I'm going into my first year in September studying Chemical Engineering.

Unfortunately they do interviews. I had one before I got my offer.
Original post by Drew15
If you interest in going to Loughborough I could help you.
I'm going into my first year in September studying Chemical Engineering.

Unfortunately they do interviews. I had one before I got my offer.

what sort of questions did they ask you
Reply 56
Original post by jmensah_
what sort of questions did they ask you

Why Engineering?
Asked me about things on my Personal Statement.
How do I find the mass of a spherical liquid? How do I heat the liquid? How do I ensure that the liquid heats up uniformly?
Original post by Drew15
Why Engineering?
Asked me about things on my Personal Statement.
How do I find the mass of a spherical liquid? How do I heat the liquid? How do I ensure that the liquid heats up uniformly?

Well that escalated quickly. Mass should be identified by using Density = Mass/volume and rearranging etc (density of liquid and volume of sphere), but how would you answer the last two?
Reply 58
Original post by Ned Stark
Well that escalated quickly. Mass should be identified by using Density = Mass/volume and rearranging etc (density of liquid and volume of sphere), but how would you answer the last two?

He is obviously bull s h i t t i n g the questions ahaha
Original post by dahl786
He is obviously bull s h i t t i n g the questions ahaha

Had me in a fright, I'd probably walk out there and then if they asked me that in an informal interview :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending