The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Ned Stark
Well that escalated quickly. Mass should be identified by using Density = Mass/volume and rearranging etc (density of liquid and volume of sphere), but how would you answer the last two?

Yep, thats it.
Use a coil of wire inserting it into the spherical container. Pass a current through it. Resistance = heating effect.
To ensure that its uniformly heated. Use a stirrer.
The interviewer didn't make it clear to me that I could actually insert equipment into the container.
Reply 61
I'm looking to apply for ChemEng in 2016 at Nottingham, Loughborough, Manchester, Bath and Imperial with A2s in Chemistry, Maths and Biology.

Would appreciate any possible interview questions too and whether i should take M1 or S2. Have asked the Unis, Manchester said it doesn't matter but the rest haven't disclosed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
If I achieved AABB in my a-levels, Can I apply to and what are my chances of getting accepted in...

A-maths bioB- fmaths chemistry
1) Unis that require A*AA
2) Unis that require AAA

Thanks

Also what are the universities that don't do interviews? thanks
Original post by VokeA
I'm looking to apply for ChemEng in 2016 at Nottingham, Loughborough, Manchester, Bath and Imperial with A2s in Chemistry, Maths and Biology.

Would appreciate any possible interview questions too and whether i should take M1 or S2. Have asked the Unis, Manchester said it doesn't matter but the rest haven't disclosed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

M1.
Original post by Cpj16
If I achieved AABB in my a-levels, Can I apply to and what are my chances of getting accepted in...

A-maths bioB- fmaths chemistry
1) Unis that require A*AA
2) Unis that require AAA

Thanks

Also what are the universities that don't do interviews? thanks

these are your a2 grades or as grades?

unis that definitely do interviews are cambridge, imperial and manchester. others most likely doesn't.
Reply 65
Original post by lai812matthew

unis that definitely do interviews are cambridge, imperial and manchester. others most likely doesn't.

as grades
Hello,
Soooooo happy that someone made this thread 👊🏼
I want to apply for chemical engineering, did it go through clearing in 2015 for any russle group university's.
Also I'm not doing my A2 chemistry with my current college as they do different exam boards, how will I get my predicted grade.
Thank You
Reply 67

Loughborough interviews for Chem Eng.
Original post by dahl786
He is obviously bull s h i t t i n g the questions ahaha

Had me in a fright, I'd probably walk out there and then if they asked me that in an informal interview :colondollar:

Not really, my friend got asked to estimate the length of a water molecule without a calculator only pen and paper for his Imperial chem engineer interview. They could ask definitely ask a question on heating...wouldn't be too far fetched.
Original post by Razzamataz179
Not really, my friend got asked to estimate the length of a water molecule without a calculator only pen and paper for his Imperial chem engineer interview. They could ask definitely ask a question on heating...wouldn't be too far fetched.

Oh right, I guess they just want to see how you'd react to a pressure question. Did your friend get into Imperial by the way?

I'm interested to know the answer of this.
Oh right, I guess they just want to see how you'd react to a pressure question. Did your friend get into Imperial by the way?

Yes, he was so worried he'd failed his chemistry and maths and ended up getting all A*s...
I'm interested to know the answer of this.

I'll give you the same hint my friend gave me what's the density of water?
Hi I've applied chemical engineering through ucas. My choices are :-
Cambridge : post-interview
Imperial :interview
Manchester : offer
UCL : offer
Bath : offer

I took CIE board so there's no component marks just overall ums

I got 3a1b for my AS

Mathematics - 96%
Chemistry - 92%
Physics - 89%
General Paper - 73%

I didn't do gcse, I did SPM I got 6A+2A1A-

I'm doing further mathematics for my A2
My predicted grades are 3A*1A

Still waiting for conditional offer from these universities. I hope I can get at least 4/5 offers. I'll edit this once I get offered or rejected! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Your UMS of those 3 subjects are much higher than me. (92.3% comparing to 87.6% for me) I suggest you should definitely give a shot of those unis. noted that imperial doesn't know your AS UMS. (I have ECF btw)

My AS grades are ABBB but my predicted grades are A*A*A in math, chem and bio, despite my low AS grades do you think it's still with applying to imperial?
Original post by Daniel9998
My AS grades are ABBB but my predicted grades are A*A*A in math, chem and bio, despite my low AS grades do you think it's still with applying to imperial?

well you are taking a risk here.
Any Scottish Applicants??

Here's how I would do this: Just consider 1 mole of water to start with. This weighs 18 g, and so occupies 18 cm^3 of space. Divide this by Avagadro's Number, which is about 6*10^23, and you find that one water molecule occupies 3*10^-23 cm^3 of space. If you approximate this space to be a cube, you just have to find the cube root of this to find the length of one molecule. This ends up being roughly 1.5*10^-23/3 cm, which you can see is roughly 1.5*10^-8 cm (done on a calculator this is about 3*10^-8 cm). This is the same as 1.5 Angstroms, and is of the same order of magnitude as the actual size, which is about 3 Angstroms. I would love a question like that in my interview!
Could I perhaps ask what other sorts of questions your friend got asked at his interview?

I'm applying for Chem Eng at Cambridge, Imperial, Manchester, Nottingham, and one of Bath, Birmingham or Leeds.
Happy i found this so im gonna break it down for you guys

GCSE: 5A*, 4A, 3B (was really upset i got a few B's but whatever)

AS Level: 4A's (Maths, biology, Chemistry, Geography) Dropped Geography this year though

Im currently interested in Bath, Sheffield and nottingham, i have an open day at birmingham soon though so that might be my new favourite (Bath is my top choice atm though)

Basically i had no work experience over the summer, and im really struggling to write my PS... my school also wont predict me anything above my AS grades (AAA). does anyone think this will be a problem when applying to unis such as bath (A*AA) even though my results (Fairly high ums) are fairly good???
Reply 79
Original post by angryafrican822
Happy i found this so im gonna break it down for you guys

GCSE: 5A*, 4A, 3B (was really upset i got a few B's but whatever)

AS Level: 4A's (Maths, biology, Chemistry, Geography) Dropped Geography this year though

Im currently interested in Bath, Sheffield and nottingham, i have an open day at birmingham soon though so that might be my new favourite (Bath is my top choice atm though)

Basically i had no work experience over the summer, and im really struggling to write my PS... my school also wont predict me anything above my AS grades (AAA). does anyone think this will be a problem when applying to unis such as bath (A*AA) even though my results (Fairly high ums) are fairly good???

How high?

If they are >90 you should ask your referee to mention your UMS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending