The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
How high?

If they are >90 you should ask your referee to mention your UMS

They were ok. For geography they were very high (Only dropped 5 ums across the whole as level)

Biology and maths averaged around 90% with Biology only at 85%.
Reply 81
Original post by angryafrican822
They were ok. For geography they were very high (Only dropped 5 ums across the whole as level)

Biology and maths averaged around 90% with Biology only at 85%.

Why not drop Biology then? Or take all 4 to A2?
I was going to take all 4 to start with, but my teachers told me that past students that have done that have not been very successful with all 4. so after about a week of it i dropped geography as i felt i would be better at the biology A2 course
Original post by jneill
Why not drop Biology then? Or take all 4 to A2?

I was going to take all 4 to start with, but my teachers told me that past students that have done that have not been very successful with all 4, and that i didnt need 4 to get on my course... so after about a week of it i dropped geography as i felt i would be better at the biology A2 course
hey, im hoping to do chem eng next year too, list of unis is bath, nottingham, birmingham, sheffield and leeds as it stands. Was also thinking of manchester but any advice on the course as its the only uni that seems to offer a 4 year MEng course with a year in industry, rather than a 5 year course at the other unis, whats different?
Reply 85
Original post by lydiar98
hey, im hoping to do chem eng next year too, list of unis is bath, nottingham, birmingham, sheffield and leeds as it stands. Was also thinking of manchester but any advice on the course as its the only uni that seems to offer a 4 year MEng course with a year in industry, rather than a 5 year course at the other unis, whats different?

With Manchester you undertake distance learning during the year in industry. So overall you cover the same academic material as a normal 4+1 course in the 4 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
yo
Original post by jneill
With Manchester you undertake distance learning during the year in industry. So overall you cover the same academic material as a normal 4+1 course in the 4 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey sorry this may sound like a stupid question but what do you mean by distance learning, also do you think that its better than a 5 year course or makes no difference etc?
haha i know but i must say i have a fair few friends i know wanting to do engineering too
Reply 89
hey sorry this may sound like a stupid question but what do you mean by distance learning, also do you think that its better than a 5 year course or makes no difference etc?

Online. A bit like an Open University course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
what century are you living?
Original post by jneill
Online. A bit like an Open University course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay I see thankyou
Reply 92
Ah okay I see thankyou

Here's the specifics for Year 3 (including year in industry):
http://www.ceas.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/chemicalengineeringwithindustrialexperience4yearsmeng/year-3-course-units/

I think it's a good idea, but just be aware that obviously the work load is quite high. You have a 9-5 (ish) placement, plus the distance learning to juggle time wise.
Original post by jneill
Here's the specifics for Year 3 (including year in industry):
http://www.ceas.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/chemicalengineeringwithindustrialexperience4yearsmeng/year-3-course-units/

I think it's a good idea, but just be aware that obviously the work load is quite high. You have a 9-5 (ish) placement, plus the distance learning to juggle time wise.

Ah okay this is helpful thankyou!
Predicted A*AA in Maths Chemistry and economics. I wanted to apply for UCL but they wanted physics AS and for some reason my school isn't offering physics AS ... Basically my point is I've got a really strong personal statement but is it worth applying for UCL or am I dreaming?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Original post by Subeyr Ahmed 124
Predicted A*AA in Maths Chemistry and economics. I wanted to apply for UCL but they wanted physics AS and for some reason my school isn't offering physics AS ... Basically my point is I've got a really strong personal statement but is it worth applying for UCL or am I dreaming?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ask UCL. But if it's specified as a minimum requirement then that's probably what it is...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else got an Interview with Loughborough? Does anyone know what to expect?
I am planning to apply to Manchester for chem eng with the industrial placement, however I am predicted 3As at A2 (achieved 2As and 2Bs at AS). I know Manchester do offers of A*AA for this course, so do you think my predicted grades would put my application at disadvantage? Would it be better to apply to the standard 4 year course (AAA offer)?
Reply 98
Hi guys ,can anyone please tell me which universities will require me to attend an interview ?
what would i need in physics at AS at UCL because i did it last year but i didn't too well

Quick Reply

Latest