The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nmjasdk
Hey smack, Im not an applicant, actually a chem eng student just seeing if i can reply to anything and help out applicants.

I've got some questions about the oil and gas industry and remember you once telling me about your experience in it. Im wondering if you can pm me (i cant find your pm link) so i can ask you some questions about getting into the industry in a foreign country (not a popular western choice like UAE though), because i literally cant seem to find anything via the internet.

Thanks

My PM link should be under the View Profile link when you hover above my username.

However, I am afraid I cannot provide much assistance when it comes to getting jobs abroad as it's not something I have any experience of.
Anyone else firming Nottingham :smile: ?
Anyone still waiting on bath???
I was just wondering whether it was possible to swap courses or is it too late. I currently applied to manchester Meng 4 years but I have realised they have a year in industry option, was wondering if that is possible?
Original post by Super199
I was just wondering whether it was possible to swap courses or is it too late. I currently applied to manchester Meng 4 years but I have realised they have a year in industry option, was wondering if that is possible?

doesn't really matter, you can change easily once you get there.
Original post by Super199

Most universities will allow you to transfer to any of the Chem Eng options after the first or second year as they tend to be common for all of the Chem Eng options. If its the same entry requirements as the 4 year MEng they may change your offer if you give admissions an email.

Edit: if you've just applied and haven't received your offer yet just email them/phone them and ask them to change the course you applied for.
Original post by ReeceM1
Most universities will allow you to transfer to any of the Chem Eng options after the first or second year as they tend to be common for all of the Chem Eng options. If its the same entry requirements as the 4 year MEng they may change your offer if you give admissions an email.

Edit: if you've just applied and haven't received your offer yet just email them/phone them and ask them to change the course you applied for.

Original post by Daniel9998
doesn't really matter, you can change easily once you get there.

Ok cool cheers
Original post by IvoryToast
I've never seen Edinburgh or Manchester - but Birmingham seemed amazing to me - great research leading to plenty of money to spend on students. They've been 2nd or 3rd for at least the last 5 years in the league tables. The department seems spacious and modern and the campus and city lively with any facility you could possibly want

Thank you very much for your reply, along with the other two guys. Since I went to the effort of being interviewed for Manchester and given their new policy of cutting down drastically on the number of places available on the 2016 course, I feel slightly obliged to put them down as firm. I have visited both Birmingham and Manchester's departments and I can basically sum up the difference for anyone interested.
Manchester is heavily focused on the operation, (process) plant based side of Chemical engineering. They feature a pilot plant facility, albeit unlike Imperial's it is not likely to see too much use by undergrads. It is only worth going there if your course involves a year in industry, as a quick check on UniStats website shows that the difference in starting salary can vary by up to £6,000 because of this.
I found Birmingham University to be on an opposite pole to Manchester. The study there is predominantly lab based and has a focus pushed toward the chemistry side of chemical engineering. That being, most of the people I talked to their switched over from a chemistry course, with much of their work done under a microscope.
Finally Edinburgh, well, we all know about the dreaded post put on TSR by the Edinburgh Chem-Eng drop out who hated his experience there and couldn't wait to get out. I live to far away to visit, but all I can say is, that's where the most money is ;-)

Good luck to all of you with your future studies. In the end, only you can make yourself successful, not your university.
UCL seems to be the bane of my existence atm, been waiting 4 and a half months now to hear back from them lol :frown:
Finally after the loong wait got an offer from bath, took them a while.
Gonna firm Notts now :smile:
Original post by Daniel9998
Finally after the loong wait got an offer from bath, took them a while.
Gonna firm Notts now :smile:

Can I ask what made you want to choose Nots over Bath. Thanks
Original post by ImNervous
Can I ask what made you want to choose Nots over Bath. Thanks

Social side of Nottingham is much better, got a lot of mates in bath and they said everyone got bored after the first week, its a retirement village. Also Nottinghams campus is really nice. And Nottingham is recognised internationally, bath is not.
(edited 8 years ago)
Can anyone tell me why bath is so poorly ranked internationally and whether i can expect this to go up? and also would people choose A*AA from bath or Unconditional nottingham... considering i'd still go for at least 3 A's if i firmed nottingham? Lots of opinions would be very greatly appreciated!!!
Original post by Chemeng98
Can anyone tell me why bath is so poorly ranked internationally and whether i can expect this to go up? and also would people choose A*AA from bath or Unconditional nottingham... considering i'd still go for at least 3 A's if i firmed nottingham? Lots of opinions would be very greatly appreciated!!!

With chem eng in terms of employment in England, I really doubt there would be any difference really between Notts and Bath. Bath is poorly ranked internationality because I believe its a relatively new university compared to the others and isn't a Russell group. Just look into each university, their campus and social life etc etc and the course/modules. Dont base your firm choice on the entry requirements, choose the university you prefer.
Anyone else firm manny?
Original post by Owensmith16
Anyone else firm manny?

I cant decide between there and bath :/
Original post by Darcy1
I cant decide between there and bath :/

I can't say I'm not biased, but I'd definitely say Manchester. It has a very good reputation and besides... The city is really good and has everything you'd possibly want. On the social side, Manchester wins hands down. I suppose it depends what kind of uni experience you want.

Good luck choosing anyway:smile:
I can't say I'm not biased, but I'd definitely say Manchester. It has a very good reputation and besides... The city is really good and has everything you'd possibly want. On the social side, Manchester wins hands down. I suppose it depends what kind of uni experience you want.

Good luck choosing anyway:smile:

True but then again its pretty far from home (bath is a lot closer). So travel costs are gonna be a problem, had to pay £180 for a return train ticket for my interview 😢
Original post by Darcy1
True but then again its pretty far from home (bath is a lot closer). So travel costs are gonna be a problem, had to pay £180 for a return train ticket for my interview 😢

Woah that's insane... Where do you live?!! Aha, I think if you got a railcard it'd be £120 so that's something to think about but yeah that's insane, in that case might be worth staying closer to home if that's what you want, the choice is yours!:smile:
Anyone else firm manny?

Well done on your interview. Were there any difficult aspects in it? What were the technical questions like?

Quick Reply

Latest