The Student Room Group

BSMS A100 Applicants for 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

According to the spreadsheet: people with a score of less than 15 e.g 13.9 got an interview last year. How is this possible?
Original post by lowacin
Posted from TSR Mobile

That gives you an overall score of 15.4 which would have beat last year's cutoff of 15.1 so hopefully! (:

thx,,, do u know if they look at each section scores as my s3 is so bad..
I got 4.7, 3.1 and 3C.

Do you think I stand any chance with BSMS ?
Reply 83
Original post by arbaaz sayed
According to the spreadsheet: people with a score of less than 15 e.g 13.9 got an interview last year. How is this possible?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I saw that! Not really sure? And people with really good bmat didn't get interviews (but they probs didn't meet other criteria?)
Reply 84
Original post by wishingwillow

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I don't think so, pretty sure they just total up the scores and rank according to that so you should be fine(: praying that I am too!
Reply 85
Original post by daisy170398
Any idea when interviews are given out?

I think its anytime from like mid December to late January, I was given mine on January 15th :smile:
Original post by lowacin
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I saw that! Not really sure? And people with really good bmat didn't get interviews (but they probs didn't meet other criteria?)

yeaah! its defo seems like the rejected people last year with higher scores didn't meet other criteria for e.g grades etc

but it still draws the question, why were people with scores under 15.1 interviewed.

I heard the average scores went down this year, but who knows

also there were like 20% more applicants to BSMS this year so I don't know how it'll work out
Reply 87
Guysj got 2.1 in s2? Am I gonna be rejected ? I got 15.6 overall. Last year I got 16
[QUOTE="daisy170398;60859233"]
yeaah! its defo seems like the rejected people last year with higher scores didn't meet other criteria for e.g grades etc

but it still draws the question, why were people with scores under 15.1 interviewed.

could they possibly have some form of criteria for widening participation?
\

perhaps, i called the admissions lady and she didn't seem to be aware, nor did she agree with the fact that people below this score got an interview, so the question still remains

Also its not a yearly cut off, its just that the top 500 (i think) are chosen for interview, and the lowest score of the person interviewed was 15.1

This year theres 200 more applicants, however the average bmat score has decreased, so it could go both ways
Reply 89

Hi
Do you have a link to that spreadsheet?
Thanks
Reply 90
Original post by Coffee Bean
Doesn't that make 15? It would have been ok last year ... I think :smile:

I read somewhere that they reject anything below a 3 for S1 and S2 :frown: Dunno how accurate that is but sounds likely
Original post by maria33
Hi
Do you have a link to that spreadsheet?
Thanks

its on like the first/second page of this thread, check it out

if you don't find it let me know
ill send you a link
17.1... Hopefully it'll be good enough for this year
I got 5.7, 4.7, 3A so I'm super relieved. I really thought I would do worse! Does this mean my score is 18.4?
Lads, im not gonna lie here, brighton havent even acknowledged my existence, not even a 'we got your application dont stress ' kinda email.. I dunno.. Is this bad.
Reply 95
Original post by AnnekaChan173
It's 15 on the dot, thats what their cut off was last year, hopefully it's okay!
4.9 3.8 2A, I'm having a freak out right now because 2 is very low, idk if I'm going to be cut out really early because of that...

THANK ****. PLEASE.

Going from what BSMS have said I think a 2 might be too low.
Here's a quote from a freedom of information request:

'4: SECTION ONE - REJECT if less than 3, SECTION TWO - REJECT if less than 3, SECTION THREE - REJECT if D or E in either element.' (They've also said the same in every freedom of information request).

those with D or E in either element of S3 get rejected and since A = 5, B = 4, C = 3, D = 2, and E = 1, when they add up the score I'm pretty sure it means that scoring a 1 or 2, OR a D or E gets a rejection and because 2A = 7 and 5D = 7 why would it matter which way round it is? :///

BUT that being said, they seemed to contradict themselves according to the Excel spreadsheet they released.
(edited 8 years ago)
It's 15 on the dot, thats what their cut off was last year, hopefully it's okay!
4.9 3.8 2A, I'm having a freak out right now because 2 is very low, idk if I'm going to be cut out really early because of that...

Original post by wishingwillow

I sorted the data for people who got interviewed last year and 50 scored a 2 in section 3. So you should be OK as long as you meet the cutoff :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Barely

'4: SECTION ONE - REJECT if less than 3, SECTION TWO - REJECT if less than 3, SECTION THREE - REJECT if D or E in either element.' (They've also said the same in every freedom of information request).

those with D or E in either element of S3 get rejected and since A = 5, B = 4, C = 3, D = 2, and E = 1, when they add up the score I'm pretty sure it means that scoring a 1 or 2, OR a D or E gets a rejection and because 2A = 7 and 5D = 7 why would it matter which way round it is? :///

BUT that being said, they seemed to contradict themselves according to the Excel spreadsheet they released.

Original post by Peterchart
I sorted the data for people who got interviewed last year and 50 scored a 2 in section 3. So you should be OK as long as you meet the cutoff :smile:

Sigh, attack of the unclear admissions policies... I'm gonna hold out for now, I have mitigation (I had tonsillitis haha!) so that may save me, or maybe the score being higher than 15.1 will, I don't think the cut off will change that much if it does
Reply 98
Original post by Barely

Sodding hell this is awful. I got 2.1 in section 2 and 2.5a in section 3. I seriously think I'm going to get rejected now. so much for having hope
Reply 99
Sigh, attack of the unclear admissions policies... I'm gonna hold out for now, I have mitigation (I had tonsillitis haha!) so that may save me, or maybe the score being higher than 15.1 will, I don't think the cut off will change that much if it does

did you tell admissions testing service about this or the med school directly?

i also have mitigation but it was too late to tell ATS. I have 2.1 in section 2 - I'm deffo gonna be rejected for sure. so depressing :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending