The Student Room Group

stop the building of mosques

This poll is closed

is there enough mosques in the united kingdom??

there is enought mosques stop the building now8%
more mosques should be built8%
building should be monitored with strict permission2%
Nobody cares82%
Total votes: 377
with all the recent information comming to light about radical muslims,and the inside a mosque"dispatches"programme it is obvious that some muslims are using these places to stir racial hatred and to encourage extremists to become active,i think a good way to help prevent this would be for the government to stop the building of any more mosques on british land,after all go to a muslim country and build a christian church,it wouldnt last 2 minutes there is mosques being built at a frightening speed and i dont think there is any need for more to be erected ok they are a place of worship but i still think there is now enough...................what say you.
give valid reasons for or against

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ermm.. mosques can be used as a place to meet + stir racial hatred but it can occur anyway, in public, at homes etc, mosques are built as a place for worship... can't exactly stop people having a place for worship in a 'democratic' country ._.
Reply 2
barte nephew
after all go to a muslim country and build a christian church,it wouldnt last 2 minutes

This is the major fallacy in your arguement. I like to think that the UK has a greater level of personal freedom than those countries
So you're suggesting the immediate withdrawal of property rights for all Muslims?

Also, are you sure that there are no Churches in Islamic countries? You might want to check your facts.

Oh and finally, yes there is a problem with Islam in our society, but do you think that the best way to tackle intolerance is to become intolerant ourselves? Personally, I am a proponant of attacking extreme forms of Islam but allowing those Muslims who don't care for such things to live in this country and worship here.

The problem with all-out attacks on Muslims (which is what a refusal to allow the construction of Mosques would be) from Britain's point of view is that:

a. It creates widespread resentment which causes more people to sign up for the extremists' version of Islam.

b. In a similar vein, it would prevent the Muslim community from taking an active role in solving the problem from within - something which I believe needs to start happening PDQ.

So, whilst I can understand your frustrations, I don't think you've thought this through.
The Muslims I know are all complaining that their mosques are too packed. Especially on Fridays. There's obviously demand, and they have every right to build their own religious buildings.

When they're not feeding on Aryan babies, Muslims are actually OK. :p:
They should stop building churches if anything - apparently its on the downturn.
haha - seems I hit a nerve with a Christian with my above post - I'd love to hear why (you know who you are)... AFAIK the facts speak for themselves and nothign I said was untruthful.
Reply 7
name and shame :biggrin:
Regarding churches, their architecture if nothing else ought to justify saving them as buildings; even if they become local libraries or something rather than places of worship due to lack of congregation. On the other hand mosques, at least in Britain, tend not to be architecturally notable; many are simply functional buildings, nothing like the huge ornate magnificence of Middle Eastern ones (eg). Obviously there are exceptions, but in the main I don't think the architecture argument would apply if the future of a given British mosque was in doubt.

But of course, the architecture of a place of worship is secondary to its chief function, namely to allow people to feel closer to God. If it is indeed the case that mosques are cramped, then basic health and safety (regarding the risk of fire) demands that they be expanded or supplemented by new ones. In general terms, if worship is being inhibited by the lack of space or facilities, reason and common decency suggest that an expansion of some kind is needed.

The primary cause of "stirring up hatred", ie spewing racism from the minbar, is not the building of new mosques - indeed, that is a total non sequitur. It is the influx of foreign, frequently Saudi or Iranian, imams with radical ideas who are spoiling things as far as British Islam is concerned.
Carl: They know who they are :biggrin:

Agent Smith: Yea but we are talking of building NEW places of worship - I don;t have a problem with old style churches - infact I wonder if new churches are built like that anyway?

I have found that many Mosques used to be general plain looking buildings but newer ones look liek the ones from the middle east as they are custom built to make space for all the worshippers.
Quite often, new churches are horribly and ostentatiously modern in their design. The new supermosque that is going to be dumped on London as part of the Olypmic complex is a prime example of this not being limited to Christianity.

I have no problem with the building of new places of worship, as long as they're not white elephants - there must be sufficient demand, otherwise what's the point? It would just be a waste of valuable real estate that could be far better employed being bought by Tesco and lying empty for ten years.
Reply 11
Maybe old churches should be turned into mosques? If demand is falling for the former and rising for the latter surely that's the obvious solution?
Reply 12
Ozymandias
Maybe old churches should be turned into mosques? If demand is falling for the former and rising for the latter surely that's the obvious solution?

Over my dead body. I'd rather see them razed to the ground that put to the service of Islam.
Reply 13
Howard
Over my dead body. I'd rather see them razed to the ground that put to the service of Islam.

Plenty of old churches have become mosques.

Shall I bring the axe? :biggrin:
Reply 14
Socrates
Plenty of old churches have become mosques.

Yes. But I'd still rather they'd be razed.
Reply 15
But I thought you were liberal? :biggrin:
Reply 16
building should be monitored with strict permission

Because, ofcourse, getting planning permission is piss easy...grow up.
Very loaded choices here.
I don't agree with any of them.
Reply 18
Socrates
But I thought you were liberal? :biggrin:

In most areas.
Reply 19
this post annoys me...I am a muslim and I definitely wud not tolerate it if sum1 were to ban the building of churches, synagogues etc... so y shud any1 else when it comes to building mosques?
and for those who use it for plotting terrorist acts, are idiots.. and am sorry to say but theres radicals like them in nearly every1 religion. predominantly, were all safe, and wudent hurt a fly.

Latest

Trending

Trending