The Student Room Group

A level options ( Help make decisions)

1 2 hours ago Report post
Hello

I am writing this, as essentially I wish to study Physics, or a branch of that, such as astrophysics, or aerospace engineering. at university, but I have some struggles trying to pick my a levels.
I have been told I would need to take mathematics to have a chance of getting into the course, as it's the required subjects, but unfortunately , I am only predicted a B in maths GCSE, but A* in physics, and so I don't think I should take maths at a level.
I have seen the foundation years, but I don't think I am aloud to study Physics (or maths), to be eligible for entry. And so I am very stuck with what to do, and what a levels to pick!?
Thanks
(sorry i posted prior but I accidently put" a level" predictions instead of "GCSE" predictions
Original post by Mileshooper
1 2 hours ago Report post
Hello

I am writing this, as essentially I wish to study Physics, or a branch of that, such as astrophysics, or aerospace engineering. at university, but I have some struggles trying to pick my a levels.
I have been told I would need to take mathematics to have a chance of getting into the course, as it's the required subjects, but unfortunately , I am only predicted a B in maths GCSE, but A* in physics, and so I don't think I should take maths at a level.
I have seen the foundation years, but I don't think I am aloud to study Physics (or maths), to be eligible for entry. And so I am very stuck with what to do, and what a levels to pick!?
Thanks
(sorry i posted prior but I accidently put" a level" predictions instead of "GCSE" predictions

Hi, I think the big question you need to ask yourself is if you enjoy or at least tolerate maths? I've had many friends who have taken maths at alevel with a B grade and done really well because they've worked hard but enjoyed it. Unfortunately, universities with physics degrees will be very competitive and without maths you won't be as disireable when in comparison to most of the other students who have done maths. I wouldn't take the risk in not doing it:smile:, check if your sixth form/ college has a swap not drop scheme in which if you really don't like an a level chosen you can swap in the first few weeks.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest