The Student Room Group

Biochemistry Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vildeung
Can I ask you guys: what aspect(s) of biochemistry fascinates you the most?

I have a thing for viruses...especially phages...I don't know why... :biggrin:
Original post by TheFroyoBear
I have a thing for viruses...especially phages...I don't know why... :biggrin:

they look like aliens :lol:
Original post by enaayrah
That's very true. From the very start of the year, I was completely determined to get into Cambridge, at all costs, but now things have changed :redface: If anything, I might have a better chance with Oxford idk, even though it's still low. Have you looked at any colleges?

Hmm, I could probably type out my whole personal statement for this...
But I like how, for every biological concept we learn, there are underpinning chemical ideas. Like, we learn in biology about how cells are adapted for their function, but then biochemistry goes into the details and explains why, and more of how.

Plus, it explains so many things we see in real life, from poisons to clothes.

Spoiler

Well I went to the open days which were really cool....in Oxford, I think either Exeter college or St Edmund Hall - just because there are so many biochemists there! The biochem banter must be booming in those places....! :tongue:
they look like aliens :lol:

retrovirus.png

True....they're just so awesome...
Well I went to the open days which were really cool....in Oxford, I think either Exeter college or St Edmund Hall - just because there are so many biochemists there! The biochem banter must be booming in those places....! :tongue:

Oooh, I shall have a look at those. Sometimes I just think that I'll randomly apply to somewhere popular like Christ Church and see what happens :tongue:

Hmm, I'm trying to think of some biochem jokes...
retrovirus.png

True....they're just so awesome...

They look like spiders...which scares the hell out of me...
Reply 25
I've already accepted defeat on Oxbridge but you keep up the hope :yep:
Ah, good luck for results day :redface: I'm worried to death about them

I've thought about applying to the US but I can barely afford uni over here never mind in America :colondollar:

I have thought about doing my post-grad over there, but I really want to live in New York at the same time...
The Biophysics and Biochemistry major at Yale looks amazing though, but I don't really how American unis work :lol:

I think the nice thing about Biochem is the openness after finishing the degree. I don't really want to work as a doctor but it's nice to know that graduate medicine would be very possible if I wanted to pursue it!

yeah ikr! personally i'm relying only on the financial aid and maybe scholarship from my school (which is highly unlikely oh well) but yeah i still have a safe option in my country (i'm an international applicant :biggrin:)
You can ask me whatever and whenever you want to about the application process and i will try my best to help you!
Reply 26
I've been dreaming about attending UChicago, only to realise I cannot afford it... At least not for a Bachelors degree, as there are very few scholarships available at that level (for a Norwegian, that is). Lucky you! (if you get in though ;-) )

I believe your ECs are as strong as you make them. If you can highlight what you have gained from them, that is "all" that matters. Focus on what is relevant and what skills you developed form it, and you'll be sweet.

thank you!! :colondollar:
UChicago seems amazing!! But super hard to get in :s-smilie:
personally i will do my BS in the US only if at least one of the colleges i chose will give me a very generous amount of financial aid ( there is no way i can afford it :frown:)
don't worry about it though, if not Bachelors, there are still a lot more scholarships being offered for grad and postgrad applicants :smile:
good luck to you!!:h:
Original post by baebae
yeah ikr! personally i'm relying only on the financial aid and maybe scholarship from my school (which is highly unlikely oh well) but yeah i still have a safe option in my country (i'm an international applicant :biggrin:)
You can ask me whatever and whenever you want to about the application process and i will try my best to help you!

Same here, do ask about the British system and I'll try to help :h:
I just thought I'd give this thread a bump since results have been released! Hopefully we can get more Biochemistry applicants :h:
Hi guys, it's good to see this thread up :h:

I got AABB at AS which eh, I could have done better, but I'm sure it'll be good enough for some offers. The As were in bio and maths and the Bs in chem (drat) and English.

I've looked at a couple of places, but I'm having some trouble narrowing it down to only 5. I'm certain of St Andrews, but I'm deciding between York, Nottingham, Sheffield, Bath, Durham, Cardiff and Warwick (just because lower grade requirements). It's kinda hard to narrow it down...

Extra curriculars - EPQ, Volunteered at primary school, volunteered at pharmacy, science mentor to year 8 class, mentor to a year 7, more volunteering within school, and then the usual extra reading.

So yeah, it's nice to meet some other biochemists, I hope you all did ok at AS and it'll be great to help one another get into uni :h:
Universities applying to: Oxford, Durham (Biological Sciences), Bath, Exeter, Sheffield/Nottingham.
Extra curriculars: Public lectures, Chemistry Summer School, Copper award in Cambridge Chemistry Challenge, Biology and maths GCSE mentor, read New Scientist, done extra reading, part of an outside of school youth council, do a lot of volunteering, run my school's Feminist Society.
Future plans: not a clue!

Got 4 As and a B (in general studies) yesterday and I am doing further maths AS next year so hopefully that puts me in a good position for these competitive universities!
Original post by Applescruff
Hi guys, it's good to see this thread up :h:

I got AABB at AS which eh, I could have done better, but I'm sure it'll be good enough for some offers. The As were in bio and maths and the Bs in chem (drat) and English.

I've looked at a couple of places, but I'm having some trouble narrowing it down to only 5. I'm certain of St Andrews, but I'm deciding between York, Nottingham, Sheffield, Bath, Durham, Cardiff and Warwick (just because lower grade requirements). It's kinda hard to narrow it down...

Extra curriculars - EPQ, Volunteered at primary school, volunteered at pharmacy, science mentor to year 8 class, mentor to a year 7, more volunteering within school, and then the usual extra reading.

So yeah, it's nice to meet some other biochemists, I hope you all did ok at AS and it'll be great to help one another get into uni :h:

Hey, well done on your results! Good luck with your applications, and just narrow it down to what you feel is best :h:
Original post by Katie.R.S.
Universities applying to: Oxford, Durham (Biological Sciences), Bath, Exeter, Sheffield/Nottingham.
Extra curriculars: Public lectures, Chemistry Summer School, Copper award in Cambridge Chemistry Challenge, Biology and maths GCSE mentor, read New Scientist, done extra reading, part of an outside of school youth council, do a lot of volunteering, run my school's Feminist Society.
Future plans: not a clue!

Got 4 As and a B (in general studies) yesterday and I am doing further maths AS next year so hopefully that puts me in a good position for these competitive universities!

Ooh, well done on some amazing results!
I personally achieved 3 As and a B (Lit-sigh, but it's very likely that I'll get a paper remarked so that may be converted to an A...)
Guys, I need some help!

My teachers are too lazy to write me a proper letter of recommendation, so they want me to write it myself and then send it to them..
Do you have any suggestions on how I can describe myself as a suitable candidate for Biochemistry, from a teacher's perspective?

Thanks!
Guys, I need some help!

My teachers are too lazy to write me a proper letter of recommendation, so they want me to write it myself and then send it to them..
Do you have any suggestions on how I can describe myself as a suitable candidate for Biochemistry, from a teacher's perspective?

Thanks!

Do they not write references every year though for people applying for uni?! Talk about how attentive and curious you are in class and are always willing to explore beyond the syllabus and all that kind of stuff!
Hmm...could ask UCAS or the uni you want to apply to for more info
Do they not write references every year though for people applying for uni?! Talk about how attentive and curious you are in class and are always willing to explore beyond the syllabus and all that kind of stuff!
Hmm...could ask UCAS or the uni you want to apply to for more info

I'm from Norway, and here we only use our grade point average to get into uni!
Universities applying to: Manchester, Belfast, Sheffield, Nottingham and York
Extra curriculars: EPQ on chemical warfare, lab placement at local uni, extra reading, online course on cancer, researchers project on undergraduate teaching of NMR, year 6 science mentor, biology and chemistry society
Future plans: I'd love to go onto further study and do research but who knows when you get to it it could all change.

I'm applying for biochemistry with biological chemistry at Nottingham and chemistry with medicinal and biological chemistry at Sheffield.
I got 4 As at AS but I dropped maths in order to continue with Religious studied and I am aware that some unis would prefer a more traditional subject - note ably York whom told me that preference would be given to others over me.
Original post by RESstudent
Universities applying to: Manchester, Belfast, Sheffield, Nottingham and York
Extra curriculars: EPQ on chemical warfare, lab placement at local uni, extra reading, online course on cancer, researchers project on undergraduate teaching of NMR, year 6 science mentor, biology and chemistry society
Future plans: I'd love to go onto further study and do research but who knows when you get to it it could all change.

I'm applying for biochemistry with biological chemistry at Nottingham and chemistry with medicinal and biological chemistry at Sheffield.
I got 4 As at AS but I dropped maths in order to continue with Religious studied and I am aware that some unis would prefer a more traditional subject - note ably York whom told me that preference would be given to others over me.

Hey, don't worry about dropping Maths, you seem strong in Biology and Chemistry anyway and you're sure to get some offers :smile:

I'm applying to York, Manchester and Sheffield too :h:
Holy moly, I just sent my application for Biochem at
UCL
Imperial
Oxford
St Andrews
Edinburgh
SO excited! When will I hear back you think???
Has anybody got offers for biochemistry yet?? I'm becoming slightly (unjustifiably) impatient... :smile:
Has anybody got offers for biochemistry yet?? I'm becoming slightly (unjustifiably) impatient... :smile:

I got one from Kings College but I wouldn't worry too much as they have gave quite a few people quick offers! Where have you applied? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest