The Student Room Group

Biochemistry Applicants 2016 Entry

Just thought I'd make a thread exclusively for the biochemists! :party:

Hopefully we can all support each other in our applications :yep:

So, what are the universities you are thinking of? Do you have any relevant extra curriculars? What are your plans for the future?
Enter your details and update as you get offers!

As for myself

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes get some biochemists together!! :biggrin:

Universities applying to: Sussex, Portsmouth, Aberystwyth (for biochemistry and genetics) Salford, and I'm not entirely sure for my fifth choice!
Extra curriculars: Additional reading, class rep (a rather crappy one but whatever :tongue:) and hopefully science club next year! Considering volunteering in a charity shop too, the experience couldn't hurt and apparently universities love volunteer stuff
Future plans: Uhh not entirely sure, something to do with genetics maybe? Not a clue haha!
Reply 2
I'm from Norway, but planning to study Biochemistry (or Neuroscience - depends on where I get in) in the UK!

Universities applying to: Oxford, UCL (neuroscience), Imperial, York, King's (neuroscience)
Extra curriculars: The most relevant ones are the two research internships I'm doing. A lot of extra reading, especially when it comes to Neuroscience. I also have two jobs (support person for boy w/ autism and girl w/ epilepsy), rock climb and illustrate for a philosophy journal.
Future plans: PhD + Research!
Original post by vildeung
I'm from Norway, but planning to study Biochemistry (or Neuroscience - depends on where I get in) in the UK!

Universities applying to: Oxford, UCL (neuroscience), Imperial, York, King's (neuroscience)
Extra curriculars: The most relevant ones are the two research internships I'm doing. A lot of extra reading, especially when it comes to Neuroscience. I also have two jobs (support person for boy w/ autism and girl w/ epilepsy), rock climb and illustrate for a philosophy journal.
Future plans: PhD + Research!

Ooh neuroscience is such an interesting area! I'm sort of open to anything at the moment but I do really like the sound of enzymology :mmm:

I've also thought about Oxford. I'll see how I feel after I get my AS Results :colondollar:

Original post by urbanforestry
Yes get some biochemists together!! :biggrin:

Universities applying to: Sussex, Portsmouth, Aberystwyth (for biochemistry and genetics) Salford, and I'm not entirely sure for my fifth choice!
Extra curriculars: Additional reading, class rep (a rather crappy one but whatever :tongue:) and hopefully science club next year! Considering volunteering in a charity shop too, the experience couldn't hurt and apparently universities love volunteer stuff
Future plans: Uhh not entirely sure, something to do with genetics maybe? Not a clue haha!

Universities definitely do love volunteering stuff, and I've volunteered at a local charity shop :tongue:

Genetics is very fascinating :u::
I guess the following depends (to an extent) on my Higher results but here goes:

Unis: Oxford, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Imperial, possibly Bath
Extra stuff: Lab placement at my local uni, Gold CREST (research project on bacteria & viruses), background reading...

It would be cool to see what you guys are all thinking about applying to uni and so on... :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by TheFroyoBear
I guess the following depends (to an extent) on my Higher results but here goes:

Unis: Oxford, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Imperial, possibly Bath
Extra stuff: Lab placement at my local uni, Gold CREST (research project on bacteria & viruses), background reading...

It would be cool to see what you guys are all thinking about applying to uni and so on... :smile:

How would you compare St Andrews and Imperial for Biochem?
How would you compare St Andrews and Imperial for Biochem?

That's quite a hard one in my opinion. I think I would prefer St Andrews: nice, quaint town with an excellent reputation in life science (I think its ranked third in the UK)...and its free (if you're an EU or Scottish student)...

I haven't been to Imperial but Ithink the course theres pretty good as well and it's got a good reputation as well.
That's quite a hard one in my opinion. I think I would prefer St Andrews: nice, quaint town with an excellent reputation in life science (I think its ranked third in the UK)...and its free (if you're an EU or Scottish student)...

I haven't been to Imperial but Ithink the course theres pretty good as well and it's got a good reputation as well.

That's my kind of conflict between St Andrews and Imperial. St Andrews has amazing scenery and is quiet and beautiful but it seems a little too isolated for my liking.

On the flip side, Imperial is in one of the busiest cities in the world and it's all very chaotic but I think I'd like the experience because I do want to move to New York someday :tongue:

We have 3 (or even 4) universities in common :u:
Original post by enaayrah
That's my kind of conflict between St Andrews and Imperial. St Andrews has amazing scenery and is quiet and beautiful but it seems a little too isolated for my liking.

On the flip side, Imperial is in one of the busiest cities in the world and it's all very chaotic but I think I'd like the experience because I do want to move to New York someday :tongue:

We have 3 (or even 4) universities in common :u:

Yeah St Andrews can get quite claustrophobic I bet...from what I hear, you either love it or hate it! I'm not sure how I'd feel there to be honest as sometimes I find Edinburgh really claustrophobic as well...! :frown:

So the odds of us going to the same uni is....erm....i'm not too good with stats...
Yeah St Andrews can get quite claustrophobic I bet...from what I hear, you either love it or hate it! I'm not sure how I'd feel there to be honest as sometimes I find Edinburgh really claustrophobic as well...! :frown:

So the odds of us going to the same uni is....erm....i'm not too good with stats...

*Draws a probability tree*

First, the probability of us both getting into Oxford (with standard application success rates) would be 0.25 x 0.25, which is 0.0625 :frown:
Then, I guess it depends on which one would be our next choice...

Hey, which A-Levels are you, and others, taking?

I'm doing Biology, Chemistry (of course), Maths (S1 ^ :colonhash:) and English Literature
*Draws a probability tree*

First, the probability of us both getting into Oxford (with standard application success rates) would be 0.25 x 0.25, which is 0.0625 :frown:
Then, I guess it depends on which one would be our next choice...

Hey, which A-Levels are you, and others, taking?

I'm doing Biology, Chemistry (of course), Maths (S1 ^ :colonhash:) and English Literature

Haha well considering that Oxford is the least competitive place to apply for biochemistry from a statistical point of view (says the Oxford tutor at open day)...this isn't looking too promising... :frown: Ah well...hopefully St Andrews will be better...he says...

I assume you mean for Advanced Highers (A2)...Chemistry, Biology, Pure Maths, Stats (ironically)
Reply 11
hey everyone :biggrin:
haven't decided whether i'll be applying to UK :colondollar:, but still wanted to post here hehe :smile:
Universities applying to: Harvard (dream school, super unrealistic though), U of Chicago, UBC (Canada), Duke, a couple of ivies and some LACs (not firmly decided yet)
oh, and i have always dreamt of attending Imperial, so hopefully will be applying there.
If there are people here who are planning to study biochem in the US, i would love to talk to you :h:
Extra curriculars: summer school, a lot of volunteering hours, member of some school clubs, 1 month of shadowing doctors, dancing. ( still think my ECs lack a bit :frown:)
Future plans: getting MD :colondollar:
Haha well considering that Oxford is the least competitive place to apply for biochemistry from a statistical point of view (says the Oxford tutor at open day)...this isn't looking too promising... :frown: Ah well...hopefully St Andrews will be better...he says...

I assume you mean for Advanced Highers (A2)...Chemistry, Biology, Pure Maths, Stats (ironically)

I've already accepted defeat on Oxbridge but you keep up the hope :yep:
Ah, good luck for results day :redface: I'm worried to death about them

Original post by baebae
haven't decided whether i'll be applying to UK :colondollar:, but still wanted to post here hehe :smile:
Universities applying to: Harvard (dream school, super unrealistic though), U of Chicago, UBC (Canada), Duke, a couple of ivies and some LACs (not firmly decided yet)
oh, and i have always dreamt of attending Imperial, so hopefully will be applying there.
If there are people here who are planning to study biochem in the US, i would love to talk to you :h:
Extra curriculars: summer school, a lot of volunteering hours, member of some school clubs, 1 month of shadowing doctors, dancing. ( still think my ECs lack a bit :frown:)

I've thought about applying to the US but I can barely afford uni over here never mind in America :colondollar:

I have thought about doing my post-grad over there, but I really want to live in New York at the same time...
The Biophysics and Biochemistry major at Yale looks amazing though, but I don't really how American unis work :lol:

I think the nice thing about Biochem is the openness after finishing the degree. I don't really want to work as a doctor but it's nice to know that graduate medicine would be very possible if I wanted to pursue it!
(edited 8 years ago)
Ah, good luck for results day :redface: I'm worried to death about them

I've thought about applying to the US but I can barely afford uni over here never mind in America :colondollar:

I have thought about doing my post-grad over there, but I really want to live in New York at the same time...
The Biophysics and Biochemistry major at Yale looks amazing though but I don't really how American unis work :lol:

I think the nice thing about Biochem is the openness after finishing the degree. I don't really want to work as a doctor but it's nice to know that graduate medicine would be very possible if I wanted to pursue it!

Thanks...you're not the only one mildly nervous about results!! Good luck! :smile:
Original post by baebae

I've been dreaming about attending UChicago, only to realise I cannot afford it... At least not for a Bachelors degree, as there are very few scholarships available at that level (for a Norwegian, that is). Lucky you! (if you get in though ;-) )

I believe your ECs are as strong as you make them. If you can highlight what you have gained from them, that is "all" that matters. Focus on what is relevant and what skills you developed form it, and you'll be sweet.

What exactly made you "accept defeat"? :smile:
What exactly made you "accept defeat"? :smile:

A combination of worry about results, admissions statistics and generally not feeling like I'm good enough. I don't mind though, there are other great universities and hopefully my grades are such that I can go into any of those :h:
A combination of worry about results, admissions statistics and generally not feeling like I'm good enough. I don't mind though, there are other great universities and hopefully my grades are such that I can go into any of those :h:

Hehe that's what everybody feels...those who are academically brilliant included...! Don't let that deter you...you don't lose anything if you apply and at least if you do you'll have a chance...if you don't apply then obviously you don't even form the statistic...
Can I ask you guys: what aspect(s) of biochemistry fascinates you the most?
Hehe that's what everybody feels...those who are academically brilliant included...! Don't let that deter you...you don't lose anything if you apply and at least if you do you'll have a chance...if you don't apply then obviously you don't even form the statistic...

That's very true. From the very start of the year, I was completely determined to get into Cambridge, at all costs, but now things have changed :redface: If anything, I might have a better chance with Oxford idk, even though it's still low. Have you looked at any colleges?

Can I ask you guys: what aspect(s) of biochemistry fascinates you the most?

Hmm, I could probably type out my whole personal statement for this...
But I like how, for every biological concept we learn, there are underpinning chemical ideas. Like, we learn in biology about how cells are adapted for their function, but then biochemistry goes into the details and explains why, and more of how.

Plus, it explains so many things we see in real life, from poisons to clothes.

And there's the ridiculous dream of finding the cure for cancer :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending