The Student Room Group

Best boarding high schools in London

Scroll to see replies

well i applied there over 8 years ago.

i just remeber my parents telling me that if i did get in then it would be
extremly difficult for them because back then they hadnt sorted out their
visas etc and had to regularly return to our home country. part of the reason
why i didnt go to Merchant Taylors..but apparently they have since then
built a board house? god i wish i could have used the internet back then..
my parents hardly spoke english and only relied on advice of family friends
who live in UK previously (and their advice was always awfull in retrospect).
Reply 21
abrp
well i applied there over 8 years ago.

i just remeber my parents telling me that if i did get in then it would be
extremly difficult for them because back then they hadnt sorted out their
visas etc and had to regularly return to our home country. part of the reason
why i didnt go to Merchant Taylors..but apparently they have since then
built a board house? god i wish i could have used the internet back then..
my parents hardly spoke english and only relied on advice of family friends
who live in UK previously (and their advice was always awfull in retrospect).

No-Westminster has been boarding for quite some time I would've thought.

8 years ago, I would have gone to Haberdashers over Merchant Taylors...Habs was the number 1 school in the country at that point, but it's gone down and Merchant Taylors has overtaken them now. :frown: Won't last for long though...
bah both of them are rubbish now :cool:
Reply 23
abrp
bah both of them are rubbish now :cool:

I hope for your sake that that was a joke...otherwise, that was quite an embarrassing comment.
well they are rubbish compared to my school :cool:
Reply 25
abrp
well they are rubbish compared to my school :cool:

Which is? Habs and Merchant Taylors aren't rubbish compared to any school. They're bona fide top 10/20 in the country (well Habs is, MT's have cropped up a bit recently). I don't understand how a school that finished 1st in the country just a few years ago could be rubbish compared to anywhere...

But hey, we all have different standards here...
:wink:

how is Sevenoaks viewed by everyone btw?

i think i only heard of them this year when i was looking at
school league tables..never heard of them before that :eek:
Reply 27
It's a good school but it's IB dominated, few people (maybe 3) do A Levels at 6th form so that's probably why it's not talked about as much as other schools.

Also, Merchant Taylors isn't top 10/20, it's more 20-30, still an excellent school nonetheless but I think my school has kicked it's butt the last 2 years, good thing too :p: lol. It's practically the brother school of my school but not officially like Habs boys and girls, but we do a lot together and have so many jokes about MTs that I can't help but laugh to hear it talked about here.

Also, I'm guessing when you say top 10/20 for MTs and saying Habs was no.1 a few years ago, you're meaning it terms of only boys schools because otherwise I would have thought the school topping the league tables would be Habs girls, which always outperforms Habs boys.
us boys tend to miss out the girls school because if we look at
all the results combined the top15 spots are usually dominated
by girls schools for some unknown reason :eek:
Reply 29
Harrow?
Harrow is one of the best boys schools but girls school still
outperform it...
Reply 31
belle_27
It's a good school but it's IB dominated, few people (maybe 3) do A Levels at 6th form so that's probably why it's not talked about as much as other schools.

Also, Merchant Taylors isn't top 10/20, it's more 20-30, still an excellent school nonetheless but I think my school has kicked it's butt the last 2 years, good thing too :p: lol. It's practically the brother school of my school but not officially like Habs boys and girls, but we do a lot together and have so many jokes about MTs that I can't help but laugh to hear it talked about here.

Also, I'm guessing when you say top 10/20 for MTs and saying Habs was no.1 a few years ago, you're meaning it terms of only boys schools because otherwise I would have thought the school topping the league tables would be Habs girls, which always outperforms Habs boys.

Look at the rankings circa 1998 which is when I first started going. In that year Habs Boys finished no 1. Then there were a few years where we came around 4/5 and still out performed the girls. Then in about 2002 the Girls started outperforming the boys and it's been than way ever since *sigh*.

Now as an Old Haberdasher, I'm sure we're going to decline even further; but we will get back up there again, as soon as we sack the Headmaster.

Belle, I'm guessing you're at St. Helens? If you're beating MT's, both schools must have really come up in the world recently...

I should add abrp, that academically Harrow is not a particularly good school and that amongst public schoolers it is regarded as a school for thick kids who are good at sport. Eton is much better.
Reply 32
AdamTJ
Look at the rankings circa 1998 which is when I first started going. In that year Habs Boys finished no 1. Then there were a few years where we came around 4/5 and still out performed the girls. Then in about 2002 the Girls started outperforming the boys and it's been than way ever since *sigh*.

Now as an Old Haberdasher, I'm sure we're going to decline even further; but we will get back up there again, as soon as we sack the Headmaster.

Belle, I'm guessing you're at St. Helens? If you're beating MT's, both schools must have really come up in the world recently...

I should add abrp, that academically Harrow is not a particularly good school and that amongst public schoolers it is regarded as a school for thick kids who are good at sport. Eton is much better.

Ah, that explains it. Yeah, recently both St Helens and MTs are doing really well! We used to be way down the tables but I think we're both in the Premier League as the tables call it now, either there around 20s-30s or near the top of the first division. I'm not at St Helens anymore, left there last year.

But I ditto the comment about Harrow, it used to be a great school but these days it's considered harder to get into MTs than it is to get into Harrow, which is saying something as Harrow used to beat MTs hands down.
really? i always thought that Harrow was the good school
academically + for rich people and that Eton was the one
for thick kids with money + family connections etc :eek:
either way a smart student would thrive in most environments
imo.
Original post by *River
I doubt very much that any good boarding school will accept a student into the final year of GCSEs as most of the material is covered in the first year. Most IB schools in the UK do GCSEs as well, unless he enters an American school, but I don't know if ASL is boarding (the other American schools are in the Windsor area, which might be a bit far out if you're looking for central LondoN). My school (all girls so not very useful for you!) won't accept students into year 11, but will allow them to 'go back a year' into year 10.

What is the name of your school, if you don't mind me asking, and could you tell me more about it? I am looking for an all girls boarding school in London because I am moving there, that is, if I can find a school first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending