The Student Room Group

What to put on a CV as a teenager?

Hey guys I am 17 and just finished my AS levels and I am planning on getting a part-time job to save up for university. But I am wondering what to put on my CV, I know I should put education and qualifications down. However as I have not had a job previously I have no experience and am unaware of what else to put.

If someone has some guidance/advice of what to put on it, I would appreciate it very much.

Reply 1
Hey—well done on completing your AS levels. :smile:

How about including skills, and any volunteering you've done? (If you haven't really volunteered before, maybe you could look into it. There are so many places in need of volunteers, and you could even apply some of your interests. I had some fun helping out at the cathedral, and learned a lot about its history!)

A list of skills might not be a bad idea if you know what to include. When my team at work were recruiting my successor recently, they were keen to see Adobe InDesign mentioned on the CVs as it's a huge part of the job.

Good luck! :yy:
Reply 2
Original post by Skyf4ll
Hey—well done on completing your AS levels. :smile:

How about including skills, and any volunteering you've done? (If you haven't really volunteered before, maybe you could look into it. There are so many places in need of volunteers, and you could even apply some of your interests. I had some fun helping out at the cathedral, and learned a lot about its history!)

A list of skills might not be a bad idea if you know what to include. When my team at work were recruiting my successor recently, they were keen to see Adobe InDesign mentioned on the CVs as it's a huge part of the job.

Good luck! :yy:

I started volunteering this week, would I still be ok to put it? And with the skills should I include times I have needed it, such as teamwork in an orchestra?
Reply 3
Original post by ozzie2
I started volunteering this week, would I still be ok to put it? And with the skills should I include times I have needed it, such as teamwork in an orchestra?

Yeah, that'll be fine to include. :smile: It will actually look good that you've started to volunteer immediately after finishing college, it shows you're keen to be doing something as opposed to just taking the time off before starting university, whether that's a couple of months or a year depending on your plans.

Great idea on including how you've applied each skill. It also gives you the chance to include some interests, like the orchestra you've mentioned. You can mention the volunteering quite a bit here. Remember the CV can be updated and adapted as often as you like, and it's a good idea to "tailor" it a little towards each individual role as well. Have a look at some job descriptions and think about what the recruiters are looking for to short-list from.

Good luck!
Original post by ozzie2

You need to think about why you are writing a CV. You are hoping to convince someone - an employer - to pay you money in return for using your skills. So you have to show them that you have skills they would want to use.

So first of all that should tell you that as different jobs need different skills, you will probably have to write different CVs for different jobs. If you want a job in the local kennels, you should mention your pets and how you care for them. A cafe isn't going to care a job about your pets, but might want to know you've dealt with money at a car boot sale.

To find evidence of relevant skills, as you haven't had a job before, you are going to have to consider all your other activities, sports, societies, clubs, cadets, faith groups, home circumstances etc.

Quick Reply

Latest