The Student Room Group

Don't want to attend my graduation

Do you have to go to it?

My graduation is in a few years time but I am already having thoughts not to attend it. First year for me has absolutely dreadful. No friends, the people I try to talk to move away/ignore me it is not my fault I have social conditions. Every time I go to events e.g. societies people ignore me and do not really seem interested in me. People say stupid things without understanding my problem "you should talk more" if only it was that easy I try my best but to no avail. People on my course do not want to know me either. I am not lying when I say that I cannot wait to leave university I am not going to miss anyone it would in fact be a relief as I do not have to go through "failure" no more. Therefore I see no point of graduating everyone is going to have a ball with their friends photos, talk, go out then my parents would only see me staring at the ceiling in sadness due to no friends. What is the point of going somewhere where you aren't really acknowledged uni is a joke and so overrated. I am not asking for going to parties everyday and having tonnes of friends I just want to have a few good friends and enjoy uni knowing that I have achieved something here.
I am sorry you feel that way. You don't have to attend it I hope that you are able to make some friends you are right some things are beyond your control
Heya Health is Wealth,

I kind get where you are coming from so I will speak from what I experienced since I just graduated last week.

Honestly I wouldn't be able to say that my uni experience was the greatest and I didn't graduate with the degree I wanted (my uni is stupid by giving our degree classification 2 days before we graduate!) Since all of my friends seemed to do a lot better than me I honsetly didn't want to talk to anyone. I was rather depressed when I got my results to the point where I told my parents I didn't want to go. However my family were still pretty supportive and I mainly stayed with them for most of the day. That really helped me and so I don't regret going at all (and I really didn't want to go, I cried to my parents lol).

I have very few pictures with my friends but for me, friends come and go. It was easier going through the day speaking to as few people as possible.

I think it's a bit early to be thinking that you don't want to go but if your university has the option, you can graduate in abstena. I don't know what your relationship is with your family but if you have a good relationship with them and explain, you should be okay. I didn't really party much or go to my graduation ball, I just wanted to get the ceremony over and done with. Now it's done and it feels like it was a lifetime ago.

Advise: In the grand scheme of things it's a very small event so don't let it get to you now. I have always had issues getting close with people since I tend to be the "outsider looking in" but I didn't stop that from letting me go. I made sure to go in just for the ceremony (depending how yours works out) and then I went out to eat with family. If you don't make a big fuss, it won't be and you'll be fine
Reply 3
You don't have to go to your graduation ceremony if you don't want to. Plenty of people "graduate in absentia" because they can't get there. Reasons include things like they've started a job and can't get the time off, they live too far away, they can't afford the travel/gown hire, or they just plain don't want to. Your absence won't cause any comment and it won't stop you formally graduating as long as you let the uni know in advance that you won't be going.

To be honest the only reason I went to either of mine, was because my parents were keen and they'd helped me financially. If I hadn't wanted to keep them happy,I wouldn't have bothered. It was half a day of dressing up and choreographed hanging around. I hate that sort of ceremonial faffing about. It's really no big deal. The main reason I'll remember my graduations, is because they annoyed me so much!
Reply 4
No you don't have to. I didn't go to mine and my brother didn't go to his either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending