The Student Room Group

JK Rowling blocks traffic so she can trim her bush

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
I'm hedging my bets on this one.

I think everyone should leaf the poor woman alone :no:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I think everyone should leaf the poor woman alone :no:

Some people just have a chip on their shoulder. Tall trees and short trees.
10/10 for title.
Some people just have a chip on their shoulder. Tall trees and short trees.

They wooden like it if it was the other way round :no:
Reply 24

Wow. You don't beat around the bush, so you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

People complain, but their bark is worse than their bite.
People in very large houses pay nothing like their fair share of council tax. It's far lower per £ of house value than it is if you have a small house.

"I chose to remain a domiciled taxpayer for a couple of reasons. The main one was that I wanted my children to grow up where I grew up, to have proper roots in a culture as old and magnificent as Britain’s; to be citizens, with everything that implies, of a real country, not free-floating ex-pats, living in the limbo of some tax haven and associating only with the children of similarly greedy tax exiles.A second reason, however, was that I am indebted to the British welfare state; the very one that Mr Cameron would like to replace with charity handouts. When my life hit rock bottom, that safety net, threadbare though it had become under John Major’s Government, was there to break the fall. I cannot help feeling, therefore, that it would have been contemptible to scarper for the West Indies at the first sniff of a seven-figure royalty cheque. This, if you like, is my notion of patriotism. On the available evidence, I suspect that it is Lord Ashcroft’s idea of being a mug". ~ J.K. Rowling
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by memoriial
Must be true if it's in the Daily Mail.

Guardian is hardly the saint of papers
Original post by Anunaki
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3171296/Harry-Potter-author-JK-Rowling-causes-four-days-travel-chaos-installing-temporary-traffic-lights-Leylandii-bush-trimmed.html

Just another case of rich people thinking they can do whatever they want without giving a rat's arse about how it affects everyone else.

Rich or poor, this is standard practice for any tree cutting carried out next to a public road. Last year we had one of our trees right next to the road cut back by some tree surgeons and they put up a road corden too, and we are not rich by any stretch of the imagination. Where was our article in the Daily Mail? Oh that's right there wasn't one, because it's not news, and neither is this.
I thought you meant pubes :getmecoat:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Greenlaner
Rich or poor, this is standard practice for any tree cutting carried out next to a public road. Last year we had one of our trees right next to the road cut back by some tree surgeons and they put up a road corden too, and we are not rich by any stretch of the imagination. Where was our article in the Daily Mail? Oh that's right there wasn't one, because it's not news, and neither is this.

After thinking about this for a while, I actually agree. Nobody should dictate what a woman does with her bush. Her bush, her choice...
This is a non story. So she had to trim her bushes, big whoop. It may be better to do at the weekend, other than that no big deal. Anyone complaining about this is just whinging for the sake of it.
Also, the puns in this thread are awful.
Reply 32
Would of been so much better had she employed 'goblins' on invisible cables to trim the bushes, whilst some Hogwarts students dressed in full regalia pretended to cast levitation spells.

At least it would give the people waiting in traffic something to talk about.
Shes keeping it clean and tidy, which is good. If it was an absolute mess and falling over the pathway - that would put pedestrians at risk and people would bitch about it. If she had it trimmed without gaining permission from the Highway Agency or whatever it is for the traffic management then the traffic chaos would have been much more worse. It would've been a ****ing wreck and people would bitch even more. People would bitch regardless of what she did. The way I see it, she has these bushes to stop people from peeping into her house but I don't see how. If I wanted to see her or her house, I'd buy a cheap Chinese drone off eBay for £30 with a camera and do what I need to do. The hedge doesn't really serve a great purpose. She has money, she could easily put a fence, gate or some sort of concrete barrier - but she would rather cause this chaos probably because the hedge "looks nicer". Its a stupid decision but also a good one at the same time I think.
Original post by Skip_Snip
Backed up with pictorial evidence, or was your head buried in too much sand to notice?

Someone's a bit touchy. Reading the Daily Mail taken away your sense of humour, and replaced it with a need to insult anyone who thinks differently from you? Okay then.

Original post by The two eds
Guardian is hardly the saint of papers

Not sure what that's supposed to mean. I was referring to the Guardian at all.
(edited 8 years ago)
Someone's a bit touchy. Reading the Daily Mail taken away your sense of humour, and replaced it with a need to insult anyone who thinks differently from you? Okay then.

So not reading the Daily Mail means you automatically disregard everything it says, for no reason Right then.
Original post by Skip_Snip
So not reading the Daily Mail means you automatically disregard everything it says, for no reason Right then.

The Daily Mail isn't particularly known for being accurate, reliable or generally a good source of news. Like this, as others have said. It's not really news.
People in very large houses pay nothing like their fair share of council tax. It's far lower per £ of house value than it is if you have a small house.

You've been reading too much left wing propoganda.

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/20005/council_tax/620/council_tax_bands_and_charges

£2.3k a year versus £700.

The top end is paying 3 times more money than the bottom end. It receives no better, or worse services from the council. It's less likely to draw off council services than the bottom end and it produces no more rubbish, sewage etc than the bottom
End.
The Daily Mail isn't particularly known for being accurate, reliable or generally a good source of news. Like this, as others have said. It's not really news.

There appears to be no love lost between the daily mail of Rowling.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._K._Rowling

She's been on a libel dispute with the paper since 2014.
You're not the only one :facepalm:
Original post by SecretDuck
I thought bush as in the dirty kind. My bad... :getmecoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending