The Student Room Group

Are we going to uni too young?

Poll

Should we be holding off uni until later in life?

This gentleman is called Harold Paragamian, and is 91 years young.

He recently graduated from Merrimack College in the US with his liberal arts degree.

Personally I think this is such a nice story, it proves it is never too late to do something with your life. Perhaps this degree was more for personal achievement than job prospects, however.

It has got me thinking though, are we going to university all too young?

We live the best parts of our lives when we are young, and as we turn 18 we have just escaped 13 years of compulsory education and hit the realities of the big, wide and sometimes ugly word very quick. We should be getting drunk, getting real word work experience and visiting the world whilst we are fit and able rather than slog 3 even more stressful years of our lives studying.

Should we perhaps be leaving for uni later on, maybe at the more mature age of 22/23?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The earlier you go, the sooner you can hopefully start earning. Plus I have no idea how I'd have filled the gap between college and uni if I went at 22.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes we should go much later on in life, gain some real world experience.
Original post by Bill_Gates
Yes we should go much later on in life, gain some real world experience.

Doing what?
No, I think the age is right if you want to have enough time to get a job, move up through the ranks, start a family etc. Time to do all that would be a major issue if everyone started Uni in their late twenties or later.
Reply 5
If we started any later we would have zero chance of ever paying back all our university debts
Nope, 18 is the perfect age. Actually I think we should be going earlier, bearing in mind how much time is wasted in the education system. Really, reception to year 13 could be cut down to 10 years. Then we'd be able to start earning even earlier. Anyway, I'm starting my training as an airline pilot next year, so I've got plenty of time to see the world when I'm working.
A large chunk of education is totally wasteful

You have stupid lessons especially in secondary school which are completely useless

More time should be spent on educating youth about the world of work, opportunities, alternatives to uni, careers etc.. This would be far more productive and better for society

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it depends on the person. For me, I went to uni aged 17 and would go earlier if possible. But for a lot of other people they are way off on the maturity scale for self motivated studying. I picked the in-between option, but I think it should be completely flexible.
In Finland (where I live at the moment, will be moving to Glasgow in September) most people don't go to uni right after high school. Uni places are usually not offered on a high school grade basis but based on entrance examinations. These exams can be very demanding (especially Law/Medicine/Economy/Teaching/Science degrees) and many people struggle with getting in for years - sometimes in vain. Almost all of my friends who went to uni last year (the year they turned 19) were among the youngest on the course - yet I feel really old when going to uni in the UK at 19. :biggrin: But the system is different and as of next year Finnish universities will have to offer a certain percentage of places to first-time applicants in order to make people graduate earlier.
Original post by General Josh
Nope, 18 is the perfect age. Actually I think we should be going earlier, bearing in mind how much time is wasted in the education system. Really, reception to year 13 could be cut down to 10 years. Then we'd be able to start earning even earlier. Anyway, I'm starting my training as an airline pilot next year, so I've got plenty of time to see the world when I'm working.

I thought you were going to Sixth Form next year? Or can you start both at the same time?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=57861199&highlight=
I don't think so, in certain countries people go to uni at 16 or something because they don't have A levels.
Reply 12
In Sweden, it's very common to start higher education in your early to mid-twenties. On one hand, there is less pressure to jump straight into an education you might not be sure about, and you can take a year or a few to gain work experience and try to figure out what you actually want to do, as opposed to just deciding based on what you got good grades in at school.

On the other hand, it also means that the average age for people to get their first degree is 29,4, compared to Britain's 24. This means that many of our young citizens who plan on going to university "eventually" work in fairly insecure sectors like hospitality, aren't very financially independent etc. This ultimately begins to damage Sweden's economy when we have fewer qualified employees.

I think a year off is perfectly fine and if you don't know exactly what you want to study or you need to take a year to do something else to be able to focus and do well at university, then that should definitely be encouraged. But taking 6 gap years is a bit excessive.
Original post by flibber
I thought you were going to Sixth Form next year? Or can you start both at the same time?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=57861199&highlight=

Well I currently fly as part of my private pilot's licence but yeah I'm going to sixth form then off to Uni to commence the ATPL training.
I started at 23 and think it's the best decision I ever made. I had 5 years relevant work experience, gained more relevant qualifications, and I feel I'm more motivated to do well now. I think I'd have failed if I'd gone straight after A Levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by German123
I don't think so, in certain countries people go to uni at 16 or something because they don't have A levels.

Mention few countries.
Original post by daryZ
Mention few countries.

In Poland they don't have A levels.
I think if you got a job between the gap of leaving sixth form/college to the age of 22/23, you are probably less likely to sacrifice earning your wage - to get student finance...

I am doing everything whilst I am young, I am going into my third year at university in September then I have palns to do a Masters Degree. Then my education will stop and put everything I have learned over the past few years into practice and work my way up the ladder.
Personally I found 18 was perfect for me to start uni. Having lived abroad when I did my GCSES id already done the gap year kind of thing and travelling, and as a result I felt like I was quite mature for my age - thus uni was really the next logical step for me - I felt ready aged 16 in terms of living independently, but feel like my Alevel years were good for my overall education - i would have struggled at uni without having done alevels.

The hardest thing i would find if i went to uni later is going back into an educational environment - its been hard enough psyching myself up for final year having been out on placement. at 18 if i went into a job id have likely got some qualifications on the job, and then i would not have needed to go to uni, and just progress in the job - i wouldnt want to leave after a few years, go to uni, and then go back into the world of work - ive always said that once i start my career thats it in terms of education - the exception being doing a PGCE once ive had a few years in industry under my belt.
Reply 19
Original post by German123
In Poland they don't have A levels.

In Poland they have pre-university education which lasts 3-4 years and which is the same as A-levels or FE in the UK. So Poland isn't the best example. Keep trying harder.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending