The Student Room Group

**Official 2016 Banking Graduate Applications

Many firms will start accepting application in just a few weeks for their 2016 graduate programmes so I though I would create the thread for this year.

How are you all preparing for your applications/interviews. Also when do you plan on starting your applications?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

New here so apologies if I do something wrong!

I'm busy updating my CV and getting a half decent cover letter template together at the minute. I'm putting all the application open days in my calendar too so I don't miss anything haha.

I do have a question though. I, basically, only really focussed my attention on a career in investment banking around January this year. I therefore didn't get any experience at any banks this Summer (got a couple of local things but nothing special). Is it worth me even trying? I know most positions are taken up by people with experience already so I'm feeling like I haven't really got a chance at a graduate place at even a boutique bank
Reply 2
Original post by rockypee123
New here so apologies if I do something wrong!

I'm busy updating my CV and getting a half decent cover letter template together at the minute. I'm putting all the application open days in my calendar too so I don't miss anything haha.

I do have a question though. I, basically, only really focussed my attention on a career in investment banking around January this year. I therefore didn't get any experience at any banks this Summer (got a couple of local things but nothing special). Is it worth me even trying? I know most positions are taken up by people with experience already so I'm feeling like I haven't really got a chance at a graduate place at even a boutique bank

Depends on what you're applying for. If you're wanting to apply for IBD/Markets full-time without any experience then yes it's pretty much a waste of time. You'd be much better off applying for summer internships.
Reply 3
May as well join this thread (although I already have a banking job) as I may end up in the process if the partners at my firm decide to shut up shop and I can't join an existing analyst class.
Reply 4
Hi all,

Good to see a thread popping up nice and early. I am currently doing an internship at Blackrock but I really want to make the change to investment banking. I'm not in the investment team or anything overly fancy but not ops either.So I was wondering if anyone has any experience of moving from an asset management summer into a full time IB, I really want to be front office and I like the idea of capital markets and M&A, don't know a lot about eq research or S&T but could be tempted, I know these are the most sought after parts but does any1 have an idea of whether its even realistic to bother?

Thanks!
Reply 5
Does anyone know if any firms have opened up their application process yet, or when the first set will be?
I applied for Goldman Sachs last week. Apparently HR don't look at the applications until October. Have any of you applied anywhere else?

I think I will apply for Deutsche Bank too, not sure yet.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi guys,

I am in a similar situation that I have graduated from a non-target uni, currently conducting a middle office internship at a top 5 bank (on track for an offer) and going to start my master in LSE.

I am interested in front office role and I have been working really closely with asset management in the paat couple of weeks. Do people ever get into asset management without doing an internship? Or any front office role in general?

I also had some experience in the trading floor so could apply for S&T as well.

Would really appreciate for some advice as to which grad positjon I should apply to (or whether I should apply at all)
Reply 8
I have no WE/internship but I am graduating from a relatively decent course (econ at warwick). Where should I look to be applying? I guess a better question is where do I have a chance? I know having no WE/internship puts me at a disadvantage and some areas like IBD,markets I should avoid.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Hey ppl,

a question to the collective wisdom of tsr..

I'm an oxbridge undergrad and am currently undertaking an internship at an IB in markets. Supposing I wanted to work at another bank, would I be better placed to apply for grad jobs or internships?

I have heard a lot about the only way into grad jobs is through internships so I was planning on just applying for more internships.
Reply 10
Does anyone know where I can get materials to help me write a decent cover letter?

Thanks
Do they send assesment tests after the deadline ?
Anyone done the UBS tests? Are they the standard shl tests, difficult wise?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey I am applying for Sales and Trading in Investment Banks and as you guys know you need to sit a bunch of numerical and logical tests for them. I've had the 'assessment day' package for a while, but would anyone recommend any of the other ones?
The other ones I've seen but have no idea if they are any good are 'practice aptitude tests', 'graduate monkey' and 'job test prep'.

- My view on 'assesment day' for those who are interested:I think it's really good value for money, you've got plenty of tests to practice through, most of the numericals are usually a little harder than the ones the banks give but the answers are pretty thorough so I would recommend it.

Any advice on other packages will be massively appreciated!
Original post by LearnedFriend
Anyone done the UBS tests? Are they the standard shl tests, difficult wise?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,

Yeah I've done the UBS tests, they aren't difficult and actually you are given more time to complete them than I found with other banks. However I think their pass mark must be really high as I didn't pass it. Whilst I have passed numericals for other banks. So I reckon you've actually gotta try and finish all the questions and get them right!
Original post by helpmeimagrad
Hey,

Yeah I've done the UBS tests, they aren't difficult and actually you are given more time to complete them than I found with other banks. However I think their pass mark must be really high as I didn't pass it. Whilst I have passed numericals for other banks. So I reckon you've actually gotta try and finish all the questions and get them right!

Thanks for this. Yeah if it's the standard shl test it probably isn't that it's difficult but that UBS set their pass mark really high. Perhaps at 85%. I'll be taking it later today so I'll see how it goes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, i recently completed a summer internship at a broking service in India, it is only an indian based company and I learnt a lot and found it incredibly useful, I also have work experience working at a retail bank in the uk. Though I didn't get an internship at an IB in the UK, is it best for me to apply grad schemes or internships? i'm currently going into my final year at university! Thank you for any help.
Reply 17
Does GS recruit on a rolling basis?
How important is IB experience when applying to IB full time role? I've a lot of experience but it doesn't relate to IB
Original post by LIONHEART007
How important is IB experience when applying to IB full time role? I've a lot of experience but it doesn't relate to IB

I have no experience in IBD but I'm applying to full time roles. If you feel like you have enough past experience in regards to societies / businesses you've started etc then it shouldn't put you off. Don't listen to people who say it's completely essential as it's wrong. Work experience demonstrates certain skills and knowledge but these skills can be shown elsewhere.

For example, IBD requires an extreme level of commitment and determination. How do you show that? Well I've started my own business on the side of university that takes up a lot of my time and is doing quite well. Of course, work experience shows this trait but I feel like other things I'm doing show this just as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending