The Student Room Group

2016 Physics Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SophieBarlow87
The other place? With a remark if its better i should still be in a good position. Otherwise im hoping my teachers will express how good i am at maths (trying not to sound big headed here, but i haven't handed in a homework with less than 100%)

You were on Cambridge thread, Oxford is the other place lol

Best of luck with remark:yy:

Also you can remark if you request a COPY of your script. If you request original script (which you wrote on) you can't remark

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Can you do that? I thought you couldn't in case i changed something on it.

You can request of photocopy of the original. Ask your exams officer about a 'priority script'.
Original post by Messier31
You can request of photocopy of the original. Ask your exams officer about a 'priority script'.

Oh right thanks :smile: and congratson your results !
Original post by C0balt
You were on Cambridge thread, Oxford is the other place lol

Best of luck with remark:yy:

Also you can remark if you request a COPY of your script. If you request original script (which you wrote on) you can't remark

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! and don't accuse me of being a traitor here, but i kind of decided to apply to oxford instead anyway *smiles sheepishly* It was because i wanted to do a straight physics course instead of natsci.
Reply 24
Oh right thanks :smile: and congratson your results !

Thank you, I hope your remark goes well :smile:
Reply 25
Thanks! and don't accuse me of being a traitor here, but i kind of decided to apply to oxford instead anyway *smiles sheepishly* It was because i wanted to do a straight physics course instead of natsci.

Lol fair enough :tongue:
I'm open minded...I just go with the rivalry because it's funny :ahee:
I was once considering straight physics or chemistry once anyway....I've ended up going back to NatSci every time though :tongue:
Original post by C0balt
Lol fair enough :tongue:
I'm open minded...I just go with the rivalry because it's funny :ahee:
I was once considering straight physics or chemistry once anyway....I've ended up going back to NatSci every time though :tongue:

Yeah i think it's funny too i've just changed sides :P I thought i would really like natsci but then when i looked at the content of straight physics courses I was totally swayed. And I went up to the open day in oxford which helped :smile:
A Levels chosen and AS grades

Physics: B Maths: A Further Maths: B History: B

Favourite areas in physics?

Probably Astrophysics, but not totally sure.

Best and worst exam

Best Exam: C1 Edexcel with 93 UMS
Worst exam: OCR Mechanics with 54 UMS (Embarrassing considering I want to do Physics)

Universities you're looking at

Bristol, Oxford, Nottingham, Southampton, Surrey

Anything physics related you're doing/planning to do over summer?

Reading, EPQ research pretty much.

A couple questions if anyone is reading this:
Do you think a university would be more lenient with grades if further maths is one of your subjects? I have heard from professors that a lot of students aren't ready for the maths that comes with a physics degree so I am hoping this would paint me in a good light.
Secondly, if anyone has any advice about the EPQ/ any ideas for a topic that would be great. I'm struggling a lot with my research(which I am supposed to complete over the summer even though I haven't seen my supervisors about anything related to the EPQ yet).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by StaticImpulse
A Levels chosen and AS grades

Physics: B Maths: A Further Maths: B History: B

Favourite areas in physics?

Probably Astrophysics, but not totally sure.

Best and worst exam

Best Exam: C1 Edexcel with 93 UMS
Worst exam: OCR Mechanics with 54 UMS (Embarrassing considering I want to do Physics)

Universities you're looking at

Bristol, Oxford, Nottingham, Southampton, Surrey

Anything physics related you're doing/planning to do over summer?

Reading, EPQ research pretty much.

A couple questions if anyone is reading this:
Do you think a university would be more lenient with grades if further maths is one of your subjects? I have heard from professors that a lot of students aren't ready for the maths that comes with a physics degree so I am hoping this would paint me in a good light.
Secondly, if anyone has any advice about the EPQ/ any ideas for a topic that would be great. I'm struggling a lot with my research(which I am supposed to complete over the summer even though I haven't seen my supervisors about anything related to the EPQ yet).

Hi, I'm not sure that university's would be more lenient, but they would probably prefer you to someone with the same grades who hasn't done further maths.

If you're thinking of applying to Oxford you might want to have a look at the PAT if you haven't already
Original post by Messier31
Hi, I'm not sure that university's would be more lenient, but they would probably prefer you to someone with the same grades who hasn't done further maths.

If you're thinking of applying to Oxford you might want to have a look at the PAT if you haven't already

Yeah I have done a couple past papers for the PAT, its pretty terrifying. I'm going to come back to it after I have done more A2 studying as there was a lot of things I haven't learnt yet. Do you know if there is some kind of specification for the PAT? I haven't really been able to find much information on it as a whole so far.
Reply 30
Yeah I have done a couple past papers for the PAT, its pretty terrifying. I'm going to come back to it after I have done more A2 studying as there was a lot of things I haven't learnt yet. Do you know if there is some kind of specification for the PAT? I haven't really been able to find much information on it as a whole so far.

Nah sorry I'm not sure there is a specification. I think it's worth sticking at it now as it should be fairly accessible which AS knowledge, it's just that the questions are phrased in difficult ways :redface:
Reply 31

There is a vague "syllabus" here, it's just a list of topics but it's a start for checking you know everything. You might (probably should) do some A2 studying in advance on relevant topics so you can continue working on the PAT ready for November.
Reply 32
is anyone here looking to apply to kings?
Reply 33
Physics FTW! This thread must be old because I've already applied to Unis but I see people here still speculating 0_0

Predicted grades: A*A*A*A in physics, maths, chemistry and Fmaths (which is an AS I've just taken up this year). Also dropped biology but got an A in the AS.

Favourite part of physics: I think the variety is my favourite part, so labelling one better than the others would somewhat contradict my reasons for picking it. However, I'm a sucker for a bit of time dilation and multi dimension theory.

Best/worst exams: 100% in C1 and the bigger biology paper. Only exams I got B's in where ISAs but I was more disappointed with Unit 1 physics, I did pretty well but it was the kind of paper I'd expect full marks in, until I miscounted how many wires there were in a parallel resistance question. That potato screwed me over to.

Unis: Like I said I've already applied to Oxford (Jesus college), Imperial, Birmingham and St Andrews (that order in preference).
I haven't really got much further reading, currently half way through a brief history of time. Been to see CERN and got a place at a Cambridge summer school but it was more of an experience into life as a student than anything to do with physics.
Reply 34
Original post by JoshZ_98
Physics FTW! This thread must be old because I've already applied to Unis but I see people here still speculating 0_0

Predicted grades: A*A*A*A in physics, maths, chemistry and Fmaths (which is an AS I've just taken up this year). Also dropped biology but got an A in the AS.

Favourite part of physics: I think the variety is my favourite part, so labelling one better than the others would somewhat contradict my reasons for picking it. However, I'm a sucker for a bit of time dilation and multi dimension theory.

Best/worst exams: 100% in C1 and the bigger biology paper. Only exams I got B's in where ISAs but I was more disappointed with Unit 1 physics, I did pretty well but it was the kind of paper I'd expect full marks in, until I miscounted how many wires there were in a parallel resistance question. That potato screwed me over to.

Unis: Like I said I've already applied to Oxford (Jesus college), Imperial, Birmingham and St Andrews (that order in preference).
I haven't really got much further reading, currently half way through a brief history of time. Been to see CERN and got a place at a Cambridge summer school but it was more of an experience into life as a student than anything to do with physics.

Good luck with Oxford! The thread was made before results,
; turns out I was completely wrong about my unit 2 exam :lol: . How's your preparation for the PAT going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Nicked an exercise book from school and made some detailed notes for confidence as not everything was covered on syllabus. My first past paper (done BEFORE the notes) was 57%, which I was pretty pleased with given 60% is the typical pass mark :P now just gotta do test after test after test until that fateful day in November! And thanks man, good luck to you too to wherever you're applying :smile:
Reply 36
What kind of questions do they expect you to ask them at interviews? I have an interview at QMUL on Wednesday but they only questions I can think of are actual physics questions and not about the course/uni so I don't think that's what they're after when they say the interview is also for you to ask questions.
Also if anyone has any advice on what to expect from a physics interview as this will be my first one.
Reply 37
Original post by Geoo98
What kind of questions do they expect you to ask them at interviews? I have an interview at QMUL on Wednesday but they only questions I can think of are actual physics questions and not about the course/uni so I don't think that's what they're after when they say the interview is also for you to ask questions.
Also if anyone has any advice on what to expect from a physics interview as this will be my first one.

In general the advice teachers give you about "you must ask a question!" is complete rubbish, don't worry about it unless you have an actual question :smile: interviews vary, it may just be a short chat where they might ask you some questions, just keep calm and it'll be fine :smile:
AS: aaab
A: predicted a*a*a
Best exam: bigger physics exam (100% hehe)
Worst exam: D2! Definitely retaking, as I got a C :frown:
Favourite part of physics: I'm a sucker for anything subatomic or fundamental haha

I've applied for Oxford, Nottingham, Exeter, Bristol and UCL:smile:
I've got offers from Bristol and ucl, and an interview for Exeter:smile: good luck to everyone who has the PAT on Wednesday, I'm crapping myself!! Those tests terrify me 😖!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by Geoo98

Not sure if this has already been answered but typically it's not an interview before. If you've heard of tutorials which are done at a lot of big units, you will sit down with a teacher and they will introduce you to a problem (examples include "Estimate how many grains of sand in a bucket" and "if a ship drops its anchor, on a small scale what happens to the water level") and work through it with you, introducing new concepts (such as the sand particles may have air between them) and seeing how you cope and think. You won't be sat down answering questions, mostly you will work on a whiteboard and they will spectate and offer advice - the interviews are designed to see if you work well with the tutorial system which Cambridge and Oxford are very fond off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending