The Student Room Group

Is taking 5 A-Levels in one year realistic?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RenaissanceThou
I want to do volunteering for a year. Not just volunteering, but mostly that, yes. Then, school drives me nuts, absolutely dingly-dongley carrot pie ass crazy. It is so boring I can't take it. I moved to the school where I am not in Year 10, and studied hard all Year 10, but in Year 11 I just couldn't take it anymore. My school only let me study Triple Science in the last 3 months before exams, because I came first after they (after 1 1/2 years of trying) let me sit Triple Science exams and I came first. But by that point I was so bored I only learned the P3, C3, and B3 2 hours before each of those exams. I even sat the Physics ISA without knowing what it was about.

You can always take a year out after your A Levels (my gap year has been lovely!). Also don't let secondary school dictate how you will find sixth form; being in an environment with people who want to learn, where you're studying subjects that you enjoy, and are given a lot more independence, is so much more enjoyable. If I were you, I would keep my options open and start with 5 AS subjects; you can drop any if the workload is too much and you have room to decide on what degree you 100% want to do before second year :smile:
Well, A*AA is what they're looking for, but like I said, I won't be dissuaded from Architecture if I get lesser grades.

What if you change your mind about architecture? I.e. just in general
Well, A*AA is what they're looking for, but like I said, I won't be dissuaded from Architecture if I get lesser grades.

If you really wanna do it in a year, why not just do 3 of them?

Btw have you thought about how you're going to learn all the content for 5 A levels in one year?
Original post by EllyAylwen
You can always take a year out after your A Levels (my gap year has been lovely!). Also don't let secondary school dictate how you will find sixth form; being in an environment with people who want to learn, where you're studying subjects that you enjoy, and are given a lot more independence, is so much more enjoyable. If I were you, I would keep my options open and start with 5 AS subjects; you can drop any if the workload is too much and you have room to decide on what degree you 100% want to do before second year :smile:

That's actually a really good idea. Start with 5, then, if the workload is too much, just drop a few off. That's a really good line of thought right there. Thank you!

Original post by Conor Walsh
What if you change your mind about architecture? I.e. just in general

I doubt it, but, if I do, I'm sure I'll want to attend University for some other subject.
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
If you really wanna do it in a year, why not just do 3 of them?

Btw have you thought about how you're going to learn all the content for 5 A levels in one year?

That's why I created this thread. Of course I've thought of it, and that's my biggest concern.
Hmmm I see the general mood is not in favour then. I would like to confirm I'm absolutely serious, since some people think I'm joking. In that case, which 1 subject would you recommend I drop, so I'm doing 4 A-Levels instead of 5 A-Levels. What study tips would you recommend?

If you really want to do it, I'd honestly think you'd be better of at home self studying.

With access to a teacher to ask questions you may have.

You could do AS in the first 3 months for all the subjects, and A2 for the rest.

Art will be a challenge throughout with the workload.

I suggest doing Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Art.

Easily self taught, A2 can be done in a year. Only issue is they'll all be summer exams, and the practicals, not sure how that'll work.
That's actually a really good idea. Start with 5, then, if the workload is too much, just drop a few off. That's a really good line of thought right there. Thank you!

I doubt it, but, if I do, I'm sure I'll want to attend University for some other subject.

That's why I created this thread. Of course I've thought of it, and that's my biggest concern.

5 AS levels?
Afternoon Comrades!

So, just as many of you here, I am eagerly awaiting results day to discover my GCSE results. But something has dawned on me. I decided I want to do all the 4 A-Levels (Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Physics) in 1 year, but, since I now want to do Architecture instead of what I was planning to do previously, I want to also add on Art at A-Level, but I've never done Art at GCSE. Is what I'm attempting to do here realistic? At the Sixth form I've applied to, they certainly don't think so, meaning I've had to take measures and appeal to a few Sixth Forms asking to take all exams as an external candidate at the end of this year, alongside all the practical assessments needed for Biology, Physics, and Chemistry. I will also be taking the old course for these subjects, since the new exams are not yet available.

Finally, how long would you guesstimate I would have to spend a day on studies?

Many thanks, and I await forthcoming advice!

Wow, that's a brave choice. I would suggest that if you really want to do architecture then keep maths, and drop a science. A levels are harder than GCSEs A LOT and the quality of marks matter rather than quantity of A levels. Have a look at the syllabuses and rethink all your options. Also, when I did my A levels I typically spent about 4 hours each day after the lessons revising, some days it was making notes for hours rather than revising. Planning early is the key, if you make notes from the start it helps with revision later on, even though it may feel like you wasted an evening making notes. That's just my view. Good luck.

Ah okay, do what L'evil fish said, start with the AS and aim to finish that in 3 months then spend the rest of your time on A2. Your subjects are such that you need the AS foundation to understand A2.

I would advise you to start studying now to lessen the workload a bit. Print off the specifications of the subjects you're doing. Look at the exam boards for the sixth form you think is most likely to accept you
Reply 48
Afternoon Comrades!

So, just as many of you here, I am eagerly awaiting results day to discover my GCSE results. But something has dawned on me. I decided I want to do all the 4 A-Levels (Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Physics) in 1 year, but, since I now want to do Architecture instead of what I was planning to do previously, I want to also add on Art at A-Level, but I've never done Art at GCSE. Is what I'm attempting to do here realistic? At the Sixth form I've applied to, they certainly don't think so, meaning I've had to take measures and appeal to a few Sixth Forms asking to take all exams as an external candidate at the end of this year, alongside all the practical assessments needed for Biology, Physics, and Chemistry. I will also be taking the old course for these subjects, since the new exams are not yet available.

Finally, how long would you guesstimate I would have to spend a day on studies?

Many thanks, and I await forthcoming advice!

You would never really need 5 A-levels. It's better to do 3/4 to get a higher mark and understand as well as read around your subject fully, then to do more and get a mediocre grade. To begin with, you'll have so much to do and it will just be a pain in the ass. I regrettably decided to do 6, and it didn't turn out to be great after I realised how much of a pointless decision it was.

Most of the other A-levels you can self teach yourself (like I do with Physics) out of self interest.
Original post by kkboyk
You would never really need 5 A-levels. It's better to do 3/4 to get a higher mark and understand as well as read around your subject fully, then to do more and get a mediocre grade. To begin with, you'll have so much to do and it will just be a pain in the ass. I regrettably decided to do 6, and it didn't turn out to be great after I realised how much of a pointless decision it was.

Most of the other A-levels you can self teach yourself (like I do with Physics) out of self interest.

Agree with you there, I did 4, probably should have done 3 and got A's, but we'll see in August!
Hmmm I see the general mood is not in favour then. I would like to confirm I'm absolutely serious, since some people think I'm joking. In that case, which 1 subject would you recommend I drop, so I'm doing 4 A-Levels instead of 5 A-Levels. What study tips would you recommend?

Why do you want to do them all in one year anyway?
Ah okay, do what L'evil fish said, start with the AS and aim to finish that in 3 months then spend the rest of your time on A2. Your subjects are such that you need the AS foundation to understand A2.

I would advise you to start studying now to lessen the workload a bit. Print off the specifications of the subjects you're doing. Look at the exam boards for the sixth form you think is most likely to accept you

Are you even allowed to do this, I thought you had to be in full time education (fixed to a specific school) till you were 18?
Reply 52
I fail to see why you would even consider putting yourself under that much pressure
Reply 53

you have to realise that as and a levels are a big step up from gcse the reason they are saying it will be a disaster is because the mind grows as it tackles difficult things.

the intense work ethic you develop for as carries over as a base for a2, thus those you settle into it.

don't do it. It's not impossible but the workload will be too much too handle to get anything good out of it.

also don't forget graduate schemes ask for your a levels in first sitting

tips for learning
have the syllabus for for all your subjects. From the exam board.
gradually chip away at each point o. It
use mindmaps
read university level textbooks for your subjects find them through the net in ebook form
Original post by Conor Walsh
Are you even allowed to do this, I thought you had to be in full time education (fixed to a specific school) till you were 18?

Not too sure about the legality of it lol, although i do know people who are my age and aren't in full time education and nothing has happened to them :smile:
Not too sure about the legality of it lol, although i do know people who are my age and aren't in full time education and nothing has happened to them :smile:

Hiding from the law aha :tongue:
Reply 56

do it like a normal human being amf come our with great results

you cannot self learn a2 physics in one year enough to get an a imo. Maths even its difficult

I did 6 subjects at as and 4,at a2.

I know what..im talking about
Reply 57
Original post by kkboyk

what are your predicted grades for a2 and whar are you expecting for as?
Original post by Furios
do it like a normal human being amf come our with great results

you cannot self learn a2 physics in one year enough to get an a imo. Maths even its difficult

I did 6 subjects at as and 4,at a2.

I know what..im talking about

Individually to sit in one year...
Physics- Highly unlikely
Maths- No way
Chemistry- Unlikely
Biology- Unlikely
Art- No way

...All together= No way aha
And why would you do that please?? Do you want to have no life? I also don't think you're taking into consideration the actual difficulty and the amount of content in sciences... plus you're waiting for your GCSEs? Then why do you want to do everything in year 12? Just do it over two years like every normal person because it's just utterly pointless and every sixth form will tell you that too

Quick Reply

Latest