The Student Room Group

Aerospace engineering - Italian student

Hello everybody!
My name is Luigi and I am writing this message in order to receive information regarding my university choice.

I am an Italian students and I have applied for the "Meng-aerospace engineering" course at the University of Surrey. At the moment I am waiting for their decision, but I am a little bit doubtful and I wanted to ask you something.

First of all, my course includes a "placement year", how does it work? The university will help me finding a job in a company? Will I be paid or it is just an year to gain experience? Does it mean that after that year I will be hired in that company?

Another question is about finances. The university in England is really expensive compared with Italian universities, and in order to afford it, I am intended to ask for a student loan. I have estimated that my experience in England will cost me around 100.000£ in 5 years, is this amount true or it will cost me more? but the real question is: will I be able to earn so much? will I cover the expenses in the future? Is this kind of study really worthy?

My 3rd question is about the amount of study in England. I have recently checked online the books required for Aerospace engineering at Surrey and I have found out that for each exam there are at least 10 books to study (which means at least 2000/3000 pages to study for each exam), is it possibile, or I am mistaken? Could you briefly explain me how does exams work in England?

My last question is about contacts. I am experiencing difficulties in getting in touch with someone who could help me in this difficult decision and who could broaden my mind regarding education in England.
How could I find someone who is willing to help me? or maybe someone who wants to attend the same course?
Waiting for your replies I thank you for your precious help.
Luigi.
Original post by LuigiRu
Hello everybody!
My name is Luigi and I am writing this message in order to receive information regarding my university choice.

I am an Italian students and I have applied for the "Meng-aerospace engineering" course at the University of Surrey. At the moment I am waiting for their decision, but I am a little bit doubtful and I wanted to ask you something.

First of all, my course includes a "placement year", how does it work? The university will help me finding a job in a company? Will I be paid or it is just an year to gain experience? Does it mean that after that year I will be hired in that company?

Another question is about finances. The university in England is really expensive compared with Italian universities, and in order to afford it, I am intended to ask for a student loan. I have estimated that my experience in England will cost me around 100.000£ in 5 years, is this amount true or it will cost me more? but the real question is: will I be able to earn so much? will I cover the expenses in the future? Is this kind of study really worthy?

My 3rd question is about the amount of study in England. I have recently checked online the books required for Aerospace engineering at Surrey and I have found out that for each exam there are at least 10 books to study (which means at least 2000/3000 pages to study for each exam), is it possibile, or I am mistaken? Could you briefly explain me how does exams work in England?

My last question is about contacts. I am experiencing difficulties in getting in touch with someone who could help me in this difficult decision and who could broaden my mind regarding education in England.
How could I find someone who is willing to help me? or maybe someone who wants to attend the same course?
Waiting for your replies I thank you for your precious help.
Luigi.

Hi,

I'm also an international student studying Aeronautical Engineering (although at a different uni).

My course doesn't offer a placement year but as far as I'm aware the university should give you some guidance on the process of getting a placement and they probably have industrial links but you'll probably need to get through a recruitment process at your company of choice. I think most placements are paid - you can search for the approximate amounts on various employers' websites. Some unis still charge you fees for this year (albeit considerably less than in a normal year). If you do a good job on a placement it increases your chances of getting hired after you graduate.

The amount of money you quote sounds about right but bear in mind that you probably only meet the criteria for tuition fee loan from the UK government and you'll need to pay your living costs yourself. Engineers tend to get paid around 20k GBP after graduation (depending on uni and branch of engineering). As to whether it's worth it it's up to you to judge.

Exams-wise: the books listed for each module are not obligatory to read - in fact you might get by without them at least in your first year. Printed notes are usually provided for each module. Textbooks are listed so that if you want some further reading or find explanations from the notes unclear you have some titles readily available.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending