The Student Room Group

What university for Medicine?

So I want to apply to do medicine at university:
GCSE's - 1A*, 10A, 2B
International Baccalaureate - 40 predicted
UCKAT - 735
BMAT - Doing in November

What medical universities should I apply to based on my current grades?
(edited 8 years ago)
Wolverhampton BSc Medical Sciences.
You've a good UKCAT score, so scout for Unis which require an above average UKCAT.
Original post by jelollipop
So I want to apply to do medicine at university:
GCSE's - 1A*, 10A, 2B
International Baccalaureate - 40 predicted
UCKAT - 735
BMAT - Doing in November

What medical universities should I apply to based on my current grades?

Have a good read of this:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

Why are you taking the BMAT if you don't even know where you are applying? Only a handful of med schools require it.
Sounds like something Nottingham would like? Or if you get really good A Levels Hull?
I would say Birmingham but I don't know how much work exp you've done, plus they're anal about GCSEs unless you apply w/ A2B.

Why take BMAT? Only Oxbridge want that and some other London Uni I think???
Original post by jonsnow:(
Sounds like something Nottingham would like? Or if you get really good A Levels Hull?
I would say Birmingham but I don't know how much work exp you've done, plus they're anal about GCSEs unless you apply w/ A2B.

Why take BMAT? Only Oxbridge want that and some other London Uni I think???

His/her (tl) grades are more than good enough for those universities. Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't nottingham better than hull?
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
His/her (tl) grades are more than good enough for those universities. Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't nottingham better than hull?

True but Hull is easier to get into if you've got the grades but lack in the work exp. department - I know someone with no work experience but got A*AA and got in. I think Nottingham is into UKCAT so he/she should definitely look into that.

Birmingham wise they want A*s in at least one english (literture or language), maths and the sciences so based on the fact they only got 1 A* I wouldn't recommend Birmingham - sounds extreme but Birmingham are crazy.
OP avoid the following unis at all costs as your gcse aren't up to scratch

- Oxford, birmingham, liverpool. Cardiff and bristol. Potentially KCL and St George's but your ukcat could compensate depends on what other applicants got

Your ukcat is strong. If your Personal statement is weak consider applying to:

- queen Mary
- newcastle
- Durham

These couldn't care less about personal statements as long as your ukcat is above the cut off. Exeter and plymouth are the same (I.e. Be above the cutoff and you get an interview with a decent PS)

Consider manchester and notts as well

You want to do BMAT right? Bmat unis you could apply to are cambs, imperial, UCL, brighton and Lancaster (lancaster might be gcse heavy so check). Not sure if your predicted IB score is high enough as I don't know how IB compares to A level. Again check.

If you have a strong Ps consider: keele, UEA, Brighton and Sussex,
[QUOTE=jonsnow:(;57944005]True but Hull is easier to get into if you've got the grades but lack in the work exp. department - I know someone with no work experience but got A*AA and got in. I think Nottingham is into UKCAT so he/she should definitely look into that.

Birmingham wise they want A*s in at least one english (literture or language), maths and the sciences so based on the fact they only got 1 A* I wouldn't recommend Birmingham - sounds extreme but Birmingham are crazy.

Op should avoid birmingham at all costs. Unless they've got 7/8+ A* they've got no shot at Birmingham.
swansea
Original post by jonsnow:(
True but Hull is easier to get into if you've got the grades but lack in the work exp. department - I know someone with no work experience but got A*AA and got in. I think Nottingham is into UKCAT so he/she should definitely look into that.

This is true about Birmingham - OP would get an instant rejection. They look for 7-8 A*s and apart from Oxbridge and Cardiff they're pretty much the only ones who do that... it's strange but oh well
Original post by Koloterrorita
Op should avoid birmingham at all costs. Unless they've got 7/8+ A* they've got no shot at Birmingham.

Oh I thought the OP's number of A*s and As was the other way round ie. 10 A*s. Sorry
Original post by Gaiaphage
This is true about Birmingham - OP would get an instant rejection. They look for 7-8 A*s and apart from Oxbridge and Cardiff they're pretty much the only ones who do that... it's strange but oh well

Is Durham not a good medical university?
OP avoid the following unis at all costs as your gcse aren't up to scratch

- Oxford, birmingham, liverpool. Cardiff and bristol. Potentially KCL and St George's but your ukcat could compensate depends on what other applicants got

Your ukcat is strong. If your Personal statement is weak consider applying to:

- queen Mary
- newcastle
- Durham

These couldn't care less about personal statements as long as your ukcat is above the cut off. Exeter and plymouth are the same (I.e. Be above the cutoff and you get an interview with a decent PS)

Consider manchester and notts as well

You want to do BMAT right? Bmat unis you could apply to are cambs, imperial, UCL, brighton and Lancaster (lancaster might be gcse heavy so check). Not sure if your predicted IB score is high enough as I don't know how IB compares to A level. Again check.

If you have a strong Ps consider: keele, UEA, Brighton and Sussex,

Liverpool? Erm OP would score full marks for GCSE, I don't know what you're talking about. I'd avoid KCL too, though, but an IB predicted score of 40 might compensate.
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
Is Durham not a good medical university?

Durham as a university is very good and well respected, however you'd have to go to the Stockton campus which has put many people off as it has a very bad reputation. If you went to an Open Day you could see what it's like and if you think it's not that bad then yes, Durham would be a good choice
Original post by AnnekaChan173
Liverpool? Erm OP would score full marks for GCSE, I don't know what you're talking about. I'd avoid KCL too, though, but an IB predicted score of 40 might compensate.

I made a mistake chill. I forgot that liverpool see A/A* as equal - which is stupid because they're not. His IB score wouldn't compensate at all for kcl - kcl have a sliding scale which uses gcse and ukcat not IB
I made a mistake chill. I forgot that liverpool see A/A* as equal - which is stupid because they're not. His IB score wouldn't compensate at all for kcl - kcl have a sliding scale which uses gcse and ukcat not IB

It's a pretty big mistake though ^^'
But don't Kings take predictions into account too, along with GCSE and UKCAT? Idk
Original post by AnnekaChan173
It's a pretty big mistake though ^^'
But don't Kings take predictions into account too, along with GCSE and UKCAT? Idk

Yh you don't know - Kings don't take into account predicted grades. At least they don't openly admit they do..
Yh you don't know - Kings don't take into account predicted grades. At least they don't openly admit they do..

We had an admissions tutor come into my school and say that they take predictions into account too... Hmm, idk. I'm not really thinking of applying to Kings myself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending