The Student Room Group

Current year 11s, what advice would you give to year 10s starting year 11

Since I'm starting year 11 in September and have many questions to ask year 11s I thought I would make this thread.

My first question to start with is

When should you start revising for your real gcse exams?

And

When do you start picking your colleges/sixth form and A level subjects?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Use mygcsescience for sciences. Better than any teacher
Original post by Starlight15
Since I'm starting year 11 in Septemberand have many questions to ask year 11s I thought I would make this thread.

And

As soon as possible?
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Use mygcsescience for sciences. Better than any teacher

But I do OCR 21st century for science...
But I do OCR 21st century for science...

It's advisable to start revising in September. Not like me who started in March. Eventhough it is still possible to get straight A*'s despite the lateness.
My advice is you study everything you do at school in a day at home after school.

For the sixth form question I had to apply in December and I got interviewed in March.
As an AS student I can say:
-don't stress over GCSEs, revise a few months before and have a good timetable
-no one cares about your GCSEs (unless you want to go into medicine/dentistry/law)

Personally I winged the whole year and just revised a few months before and got some good grades. Honestly don't stress about it, all your teachers will make it sound like it's the most important thing in your life.
I actually recommend looking for some work experience so you can relax a bit more during AS.
Original post by jonsnow:(
As an AS student I can say:
-don't stress over GCSEs, revise a few months before and have a good timetable
-no one cares about your GCSEs (unless you want to go into medicine/dentistry/law)

Personally I winged the whole year and just revised a few months before and got some good grades. Honestly don't stress about it, all your teachers will make it sound like it's the most important thing in your life.
I actually recommend looking for some work experience so you can relax a bit more during AS.

Thanks for your advice x +rep

Do you think getting some work experience when I finish year 11 a good idea?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Since I'm starting year 11 in Septemberand have many questions to ask year 11s I thought I would make this thread.

And

The teachers at my school advised us to start revising around January time, however a lot of students didn't start revising until around March time. It may not seem it but the time will fly by and before you know it the exam season will be fast approaching. I'd say to just make the most of the time before the exam season kicks in. Good luck, you'll be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kieran26199
It's advisable to start revising in September. Not like me who started in March. Eventhough it is still possible to get straight A*'s despite the lateness.
My advice is you study everything you do at school in a day at home after school.

For the sixth form question I had to apply in December and I got interviewed in March.

Thanks for your advice +rep

What happens in a sixth form/college interview and what do you wear?
Thanks for your advice +rep

What happens in a sixth form/college interview and what do you wear?

When you do your mocks you get a mock results day. Then when you get your predicted grade a few days later you get your interview. I dressed smart but casual. But anything will do, as long as it's not an outrageous outfit lol. They look through your contacts and grades and the information you gave them and advise you on what to do. And then ask you if you have any questions and don't worry 4 people are interviewed at once.. So it's not intimidating.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Advice from a sixth form leaver:

STUDY LIKE HELL BECAUSE IT ONLY GETS WORSE.

Good luck :colondollar:
No need to study like hell I only started in April with my first exam on the first week of May. I am very hopeful for good grades, do not worry at this moment in time. When it's new year have it on the back of your mind and just build and build it up. I find studying at high intensity over short periods of time better. I suggest you do the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey,

I would say if you can start revising from February it would be great because most students simply do not understand how quickly exams come around. For example, I started revising for my GCSE's in November but stopped in the Christmas holidays because I felt like they were ages away and I should be concentrating on my Spanish controlled assessment or my mocks in January. There was too much to handle with the masses of homework and end of unit tests to revise for every other week to try and juggle revision for the actual exams. So I made the terrible mistake of essentially 'waiting' until the panic set in. Unfortunately I came to this realisation in the Easter holidays and freaked out as I had planned since the start of year 10 this long term strategy of revising for half an hour every night until the exams come around so that I would not have to rely on the last minute absorption of facts.

To be honest, I wasn't at a disadvantage. A month and a bit for me is plenty when you have no homework coming up to exams. I will admit I was disappointed in myself for revising for the subject the night before (I am against cramming) but it worked out for me, the information was fresh as apposed to the decayed and flaky memories of the November revision. You will also have free periods in school time to revise for your subjects once you start finishing the exams one by one.

To answer your question in a non-anecdotal form, I think starting in February/March is great because otherwise you will forget the information and the revision will be worthless unless your memory is superb.

I thought about my sixth form options CONSTANTLY (not a hyperbole unfortunately). I changed them twice. I am now going to do Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I chose them in December and had another meeting in February about them- Although you don't have to be 100% certain until you collect your results- That day is the deadline for me anyway.

Good luck and enjoy it!- Apart from the homework and stress, the GCSE content is not too bad :smile:

Another piece of advice is to sort out a problem as soon as possible on the day if you can. If you don't understand something in September SORT IT OUT as it will be harder to seek help around exam time as everyone is so busy can't talk right now, call you later and also while revising, sometimes it's good to revise with someone (I absolutely hated it as I couldn't concentrate as well but it will be good for you- if they are also studios as they may know something you don't like something that isn't specifically in any textbook.

Also, I want to add that even with 36 days of revision after the easter holidays I am confident I will get 10+ A*s. Don't think you need to revise 24/7, trust yourself as you know how your mind works and how much time you need to dedicate to your revision.
(edited 8 years ago)
You should start revising now, you may think this is too early but, time goes by fast and by the time you know it another summer will be here.

Btw, i am not in year 11.
Original post by German123
You should start revising now, you may think this is too early but, time goes by fast and by the time you know it another summer will be here.

Btw, i am not in year 11.

Hi I have started revision I'm gonna be in yr11 but I don't know if I'm doing it right!
Triple science I do mindmaps is that effective?
History I don't know which way is best cos there is so much info
Business I'm completely lost I dont know how cos there is so much info!
Reply 15

And

1) As soon as you get into year 11 decide what you would like to do as a career, if you already know then research about what you need to become that profession. So if you need to do a certain degree, then look at the A Level requirements, are thry specific A Levels or can it be any at grades such as ABB? etc! As soon as you know your A level choices, decide where you would like to stuy them, is it your sixform at your current school, isit at another sixform? I'm not really sure if you can apply for colleges anymore as the rules are slightly changing. But i may be wrong so double check.

2) Take your GCSE's seriously and don't leave your revision till last minute. Everytime you learn something new , go home and make notes and ocassionally go over them.

3) If you struggle on a particular a subject e.g Maths attend as much revision classes as possible, use as much revision material as you can.

If you need anymore tips/suggestions message me:smile:
Original post by skhan99
Hi I have started revision I'm gonna be in yr11 but I don't know if I'm doing it right!
Triple science I do mindmaps is that effective?
History I don't know which way is best cos there is so much info
Business I'm completely lost I dont know how cos there is so much info!

What is effective is down to the individual, mind maps may be effective for someone whereas as not effective for you, so you need to adjust and find out what works best for you-auditory, kinetic etc learner.

I did history GCSE and agree that there is too much to remember,so you should get flashcards and makes notes on them in your own words and base a question at the back of it.:smile:

mind maps, flashcards, post it notes, whatever works for you(figure it out)
And for science, there are tons of youtube clips that could help you to revise.

And most of all, do lots of past papers for all of your subjects but especially history you need to practice your analytical skills.
Start revising now and contemplate about your options in Mach.
Lol. Okay, I'd advise you to start revising in the easter holidays (so around april). GCSE's do not need long term revision, just effective revision. As for science, I did ocr 21st century as well so I recommend you buying the CGP revision guides. If you type up key points for each unit you will do fine.

Also, you MUST do well in the coursework. It is worth 25% which is equivalent to one exam. Get high marks on the coursework and then score highly on the 123s (core), you will get a minimum of an A!

Good luck, GCSE's don't matter that much really.
Since I'm starting year 11 in September and have many questions to ask year 11s I thought I would make this thread.

And

Hi I'm in ur stage too and I'm getting a move on now cos so much is gonnas cum in in the next byr so its best to be prepared!

Quick Reply

Latest