The Student Room Group

[2016 ENTRY] Fine Art at the Ruskin School of Art

Hello all,

I thought it would be nice if there was an outlet for all prospective Fine Art applicants for Oxford (myself included) to talk about the process, share any information, offer advice and in a general sense, talk about our work and other artists. Consequently, I have made this thread! It would be great to talk to any of the few applicants :h: Also, any advice from previous applicants or current students would be much appreciated!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jcsiah
Hello all,

I thought it would be nice if there was an outlet for all prospective Fine Art applicants for Oxford (myself included) to talk about the process, evaporate all false rumours of the complexities of the admissions process (especially over the importance of an Art Foundation) and in a general sense, talk about our work and other artists. Consequently, I have made this thread! Art discussion and criticism is integral to the development of each of our practice, so it would be great to talk to any of the few applicants :h:

If you aren't doing a foundation during your application or don't have one already then I really wouldn't apply. (If you are speaking about y13 application that is)
Reply 2
Original post by Artfanatic
If you aren't doing a foundation during your application or don't have one already then I really wouldn't apply. (If you are speaking about y13 application that is)

Thank you for the advice but I am going to apply regardless. I've created a separate portfolio to A-Level work of the maturity that an art foundation would give me. I also spoke to the tutors who said last year 50% of successful applicants didn't have one. It's about the maturity of your work :-) That isn't the defeatist spirit to have!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jcsiah
Thank you for the advice but I am going to apply regardless. I've created a separate portfolio to A-Level work of the maturity that an art foundation would give me. I also spoke to the tutors who said last year 50% of successful applicants didn't have one. It's about the maturity of your work :-) That isn't the defeatist spirit to have!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had the exact mentality you had and yes there is a chance - but its reduced without one which you can't fight against. I know you will apply and who knows what may happen but I would still advise you to consider foundation during your application. Goodluck though!

(Plus the 50% figure may not be entirely representative due to some developing the work at different ages as mature students - thus don't have foundation or international students)
Reply 4
I do appreciate that this thread is for the 2016 entry but having just received my AS results I am now considering taking Fine Art. I got full UMS in my art exam but I wouldn't particularly say individualism shines through my work. I adore History of Art and tend to stick to drawing and painting and although I haven't always been the greatest in the class (I got an A for GCSE), my teachers always note how much I improve each year- could I still be a potential Ruskin applicant?
Reply 5
Original post by ismad
I do appreciate that this thread is for the 2016 entry but having just received my AS results I am now considering taking Fine Art. I got full UMS in my art exam but I wouldn't particularly say individualism shines through my work. I adore History of Art and tend to stick to drawing and painting and although I haven't always been the greatest in the class (I got an A for GCSE), my teachers always note how much I improve each year- could I still be a potential Ruskin applicant?

Firstly, congratulations on your results! However, it is important to note that for Fine Art the Oxford process doesn't work as you would expect - the grades count for next to nothing and will not improve your chances. If they like your work enough and you have 3 A's you're going to get in over someone who has less interesting work but 3 A*'s.

I think if 'individualism' doesn't shine through your work then there could be an issue as the Ruskin explicitly state they are looking for a unique contribution to the art arena. I would also be alarmed at your dedication to very traditional media, it could suggest a lack of experimentation / maturity and potentially result in the infamous "We like your work but consider an Art Foundation" response. However, the Ruskin state they are not looking for a specific kind of work but just someone who has a clear temperament to their work and inventive engagement in contemporary art. If you believe in your work, go for it. You should look at the degree show work - you really see the wide variety of artists they take on but the maturity they all possess in their ideas and breadth of engagement.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ismad

Well done in your AS result! I have been extremely lucky in attainting a place to study Fine Art at the Ruskin school of art for for this upcoming academic year. I would say that individualism is possibly one of the factors that separates the successful applicants from the unsuccessful. For me, it was my foundation course that brought out my own style in my artwork, so i would definitely recommend that you do a foundation course! (most of my portfolio work at interview was from my foundation year).
Reply 7
Original post by jcsiah
Firstly, congratulations on your results! However, it is important to note that for Fine Art the Oxford process doesn't work as you would expect - the grades count for next to nothing and will not improve your chances. If they like your work enough and you have 3 A's you're going to get in over someone who has less interesting work but 3 A*'s.

I think if 'individualism' doesn't shine through your work then there could be an issue as the Ruskin explicitly state they are looking for a unique contribution to the art arena. I would also be alarmed at your dedication to very traditional media, it would suggest a lack of experimentation / maturity and potentially result in the infamous "We like your work but consider an Art Foundation" response. However, the Ruskin also state that they have no set criteria for a desired artist but just someone who has a clear temperament to their work and inventive engagement in contemporary art. If you believe in your work, go for it. If you want to send me any pieces I would be happy to give my opinion on whether it may be of the correct standard (I am not proclaiming to be an expert but a second opinion is always good?). Or / and you should look at the degree show work - you really see the wide variety of artists they take on but the maturity they all possess in their ideas and breadth of engagement.

Thank you!! If I do go down the route of fine art, I will definitely do an art foundation as I feel my school has a very structured way to go about portfolios which limits you quite a bit. Could I send you some current work? That is so kind of you! I will definitely look at the degree work, thank you so much for your advice!
Reply 8
Original post by Fineart15
Well done in your AS result! I have been extremely lucky in attainting a place to study Fine Art at the Ruskin school of art for for this upcoming academic year. I would say that individualism is possibly one of the factors that separates the successful applicants from the unsuccessful. For me, it was my foundation course that brought out my own style in my artwork, so i would definitely recommend that you do a foundation course! (most of my portfolio work at interview was from my foundation year).

Many congratulations!! I was considering to do an art foundation if I were to do Fine Art and hoping that it would have the same effect! Does it matter where you do your art foundation?
Reply 9
Original post by ismad
Many congratulations!! I was considering to do an art foundation if I were to do Fine Art and hoping that it would have the same effect! Does it matter where you do your art foundation?

As a welsh student, i studied at Cardiff Art Academy (WJEC), i don't think where you study art foundation really matters, as long as your work is strong enough and you are passionate to progress in the field!
Reply 10
Original post by Fineart15
As a welsh student, i studied at Cardiff Art Academy (WJEC), i don't think where you study art foundation really matters, as long as your work is strong enough and you are passionate to progress in the field!

Brilliant! Thank you!
Hi all

I'm applying for the BFA course, however does anyone know the guidelines for the portfolio? Do they want us to submit pieces in some sort of theme, do they need to be linked together somehow? Or can it all be a bit random? Also people who are doing foundation like me, how are we supposed to create a portfolio of 20 pieces by November?? One full sketchbook counts as 1/20!! I am stressing out about this portfolio business someone please give some useful advice! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by paintbrush
Hi all

I'm applying for the BFA course, however does anyone know the guidelines for the portfolio? Do they want us to submit pieces in some sort of theme, do they need to be linked together somehow? Or can it all be a bit random? Also people who are doing foundation like me, how are we supposed to create a portfolio of 20 pieces by November?? One full sketchbook counts as 1/20!! I am stressing out about this portfolio business someone please give some useful advice! :smile:

Hey! Nice to see another applicant! Well, that appears to be the tricky thing trying to work out what they want - I won't pretend I know entirely. However, if you read their criteria they want to see your best 20 pieces (so chucking in lots of sketchbooks may not always be the best thing, I do know of cases where they have been left untouched), a strong temperament to your work (so conceptually or process wise I imagine there should be similarity), and a mature grasp of contemporary art. The criteria is very subjective so it's difficult, but I would imagine if you unite lots of very random unrelated ideas the clarity of you as an artist would be lost. 20 pieces is a maximum, you can create less but I think usually people just a. Do a lot of work or b. Put in work from A Level! I guess you can only pick the pieces that really define you as an artist and your practice and hope for the best...
(edited 8 years ago)
Ah crap. I didn't do art a-level which is why I don't really have that much work already. How many sketchbooks do you reckon they would want? I'm so worried I won't be able to make enough good pieces by November!! And with some sort of theme flowing through them! Quite a difficult task!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by paintbrush
Ah crap. I didn't do art a-level which is why I don't really have that much work already. How many sketchbooks do you reckon they would want? I'm so worried I won't be able to make enough good pieces by November!! And with some sort of theme flowing through them! Quite a difficult task!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't really think it's a matter of "how many sketchbooks do they want" but more how many sketchbooks do you need to evidence your practice. People have got in with none, others with many. It's a very difficult task, but I'm sure you are capable! After all, they have said they don't expect finished projects but more raw ideas / your best pieces to show your ideas with what you have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not going to say it's impossible to get in on a portfolio made entirely from 2 months work, but it is very difficult. I'd recommend finding a short foundation course as you'll benefit a lot from having a teacher to give you guidance, fellow students for encouragement and the resources the school can give you.

You know your own work ethic, and it may be that you can self motivate a portfolio in the time left, but I know I would never have managed it without the framework of the short Foundation.

As for sketchbooks specifically, I think I only included one.
Oh sorry I didn't see that you're already on a foundation. In that case this is definitely something to speak to your tutors about asap. If they don't have experience with Ruskin admissions then at least they'll have general portfolio advice. And don't worry about not having a-level work. Your foundation stuff is likely to be much better, you'd be surprised how quickly the 20 pieces can fill up.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
(this is annnaharding, I just changed my username)

So I'm going into the uni I did my foundation to talk to students about the application process and I thought I'd post the same info here in case anyone finds it useful.

A pared down version of my portfolio is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/129468501@N03/albums/72157649936606565 It's about half the size of the Oxford portfolio, I think it was one of the London colleges asked for only 10 pieces, but it gives you an idea of what the portfolio looked like. I only had the one main project, which was a little unusual. I also included some life drawing. I had 1 and a half sketchbooks, (not one, sorry, my memory is terrible). the one that went with the main project was actually made from about 3 half finished sketchbooks, I amalgamated and stuck pages in so it was all in one place. The half sketchbook was for a different project and some life drawing and miscellaneous.

So the first hurdle is the personal statement. There are so many guides online and your school/uni can probably help you with this also. My advice would be to get as many people as possible to read it over. Second, third, fourth opinions are great. Don't lie or exaggerate, you will get called out on it, but do give a positive spin to your achievements :smile:

For the portfolio, speak to tutors as much as possible, ask for their advice, get them to look over your portfolio as many times as you can. Get their advice on presentation, work order, what to include etc. They have the expertise and they should make time for you. It is their job so don't feel bad about asking (but do be polite and understanding of their other commitments). If you have family friends/other contacts, try and get them to look it over as well, maybe in digital form since an A1 folder is tough to lug around. Remember, you don't need a final piece, or a finished project, works in progress are great. I'm loath to say what tutors are looking for (since I don't know!), but I'd imagine they want to see a variety of approaches and methods, so be brave and experiment. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. If it doesn't go in the portfolio, it can go in your sketchbook.

Interview prep - think about your work. Talk about it to yourself (crazy artists can get away with this stuff :P) Write about it. I had pages and pages of what I called 'thinking sheets' where I just wrote down all my ideas about my work. Try and pull it into a structure (aims/process/evaluate) so you can speak clearly when you're on the spot. Read as much as you can, but readings connected to your work are especially useful, as you can quite easily name drop them in interview in a relevant way, not in an - oh look I read this random book - way! Be prepared for questions if you mention a book. Don't lie and say you've read more than you have! Visit exhibitions and be ready to talk about them if you mention them in interview on in personal statement. Don't be afraid of being honest. If you didn't get a show, say so, but be prepared to back it up (why? What could have been better? Can you compare it to a show that did work for you?)

PRACTICE INTERVIEWS. As many as you possibly can. With your friends, parents, siblings, teachers, friends of family. If they don't have technical expertise, they are at least getting you used to talking about your work.

For the interview they will have your portfolio on the table and will ask you questions about it, so think hard beforehand. Evaluate what went well, what went wrong and what you might do differently/develop in the future. They will expect you to bring in new work, perhaps a continuation of the existing project, perhaps a new one. So you can talk about that as well. Everyone is nervous. They're not expecting you to be super relaxed. They understand the pressure you're under. My mock interviews were way harder than the real one, and I still acted like a total dork in my interview. There's lots of general advice online about Oxford interviews, and the forums here can be really helpful. Don't dress up, choose something casual and comfortable that makes you feel good, remember you have to carry your portfolio away with you.

Google the course beforehand, don't ask questions that are already answered online. If you don't have a question to ask, that's fine, no need to force yourself to think of one, but if there is something you want to know it can show interest (maybe about the course, career prospects, facilities, mature or international student experience etc.). Google the tutors as well (student admissions, the only time you're encouraged to act like a stalker...) So you have an idea of who is in the room with you and what their area might be. Don't suck up though, play it cool :wink:

Remember the interviews are really short. They'll be over in a snap, that's why preparation is useful so you know how to cram the good bits in!

The practical test. I've attached past papers, apart from the 2014 one, the others I found online. They used to have them on the Ruskin website. I think I ended up using the wayback machine to get hold of some of them (like I said, stalking skills are a plus! Brush off that Google-Fu). Do the practice tests under as close to exam conditions as you can. If you can find a teacher to mark your work afterwards, it can't hurt. Again I don't want to predict what they're looking for, but I think they're looking for ideas, so don't worry too much about creating a perfect, polished piece. Going solely off my work: it had zero drawing skills, was v conceptual and slightly funny? (To me at least) Also I left an hour early. Once you're done, you don't have to stay until the time is up. You know your own work and abilities, so be confident in yourself.

On that somewhat trite, self-help book line, I'll finish the post. You're welcome to PM me for more info. I won't give out specifics because I don't think that's fair, but I will help with more general questions.

(Just to add, I'm a mature student and had no A-level work to fall back on, so all my work was from Sept/Oct/Nov. It's totally doable, just don't expect to have any free time for the next 3 months!)
Thank you so much for this! You have no idea how helpful it is!!

On the tests that you attached, when they say, 'make a model' and 'using paper', does that not mean drawing? How do you make a model out of paper? Also, some of the words on the test I was not very familiar with, for example lichens. Are you allowed to ask their meanings if you don't know what they are?

Your portfolio was brilliant! I found the video very funny and interesting! So you only submitted ten pieces? They all had the same theme which is what I should be doing I guess. Sorry just out of curiosity are you a 2015 Ruskin fresher?

My class for foundation starts tomorrow, when I am more into it and doing the work I will message more with questions once I know what I am doing, if you don't mind! :smile:

Thank you guys for your help, I am loving this website and this thread!

Btw, jcsiah which college are you applying for?
Reply 19
You're welcome :smile: I know I could have used it when I was applying :/

They provide paper, glue, tape, paperclips etc. So you could cut and glue things, scrunch them up, pin it together etc. There is a technician in the room with you, to help with any equipment issues you might have, I should imagine he'd be happy to explain what a word means. But they don't confiscate phones, and I don't recall any issues with looking things up online.

The online portfolio was only ten pieces because it was actually part of my submission for a different uni! I don't have images online of the full portfolio I used for my Oxford admission sorry!

I'll be starting this Oct, so I'm afraid I can only answer Qs about the admission process, no insights to the course itself yet :smile:

Just because I had a single project DOESN'T mean you should. (In fact I think I was a bit unusual to do so?) Speak to your tutors about what might suit you best, it might be 1, 2 or 3 projects. You're only constrained by the quality of your work and the 20 page limit.

Good luck on your first day! Obviously you don't want to jump on your tutors with too many questions, but establish soon that you're applying for the Ruskin and you will be needing priority help. The deadlines come up so fast, your tutor needs to know what you're aiming for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending