The Student Room Group

Changing course on Student Finance application - advice needed urgently, please??!

Hi! :smile:

Right, so I've been having loads of problems with Student Finance Wales. Basically, I've applied for finance for a first degree, to start my first year in September. It's a 3 year Business course. I've previously studied part-time, which has caused so many problems, with two different advisers getting involved and sending my application to be reassessed a total of three times, telling me different things each time. It resulted in me finally having to speak to a manager directly to set things straight (needless to say SFW will be receiving a massive complaint letter from me!). Anyway, I am eligible for full funding (ie. tuition and maintenance support for the 3 years + the 1 complimentary year that they add if you're a first-time student).

Now, I spoke to the Uni the other day who have now offered me the 4 year Business course (the third year is a paid placement year) which, to be honest, is the best option because it means I gain work experience and better prospective opportunities.

However, if I accept this 4 year course, and change my course details on my student finance application, will my entire application have to reassessed? Because I'm understandably really concerned that if this is the case, then I run the risk of another adviser sticking their ore in and wrongly questioning the previous study again, which has already been sorted. But I don't think I can face going through all this rubbish with them again, especially as I work and have to hand in my notice to my employer within the next couple of weeks (at the very latest).

So what should I do? Change my course to the one I have been offered and the better choice, or leave it to the 3 year course because at least then I know that my finance is safe and ready for September? It doesn't seem at all fair that I'm being forced to choose because of their ****ty inconsistencies, but I really can't afford to have any more problems with them? :s-smilie:

Sorry for the essay. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! x
Original post by Claire062
Hi! :smile:

Right, so I've been having loads of problems with Student Finance Wales. Basically, I've applied for finance for a first degree, to start my first year in September. It's a 3 year Business course. I've previously studied part-time, which has caused so many problems, with two different advisers getting involved and sending my application to be reassessed a total of three times, telling me different things each time. It resulted in me finally having to speak to a manager directly to set things straight (needless to say SFW will be receiving a massive complaint letter from me!). Anyway, I am eligible for full funding (ie. tuition and maintenance support for the 3 years + the 1 complimentary year that they add if you're a first-time student).

Now, I spoke to the Uni the other day who have now offered me the 4 year Business course (the third year is a paid placement year) which, to be honest, is the best option because it means I gain work experience and better prospective opportunities.

However, if I accept this 4 year course, and change my course details on my student finance application, will my entire application have to reassessed? Because I'm understandably really concerned that if this is the case, then I run the risk of another adviser sticking their ore in and wrongly questioning the previous study again, which has already been sorted. But I don't think I can face going through all this rubbish with them again, especially as I work and have to hand in my notice to my employer within the next couple of weeks (at the very latest).

So what should I do? Change my course to the one I have been offered and the better choice, or leave it to the 3 year course because at least then I know that my finance is safe and ready for September? It doesn't seem at all fair that I'm being forced to choose because of their ****ty inconsistencies, but I really can't afford to have any more problems with them? :s-smilie:

Sorry for the essay. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! x

i think if you change course they ll end up reassessing it again especially if you have to cover the small tution costs that some unis charge on placement years.

Are you able to swap to the one with a placement year once you ve already started?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
i think if you change course they ll end up reassessing it again especially if you have to cover the small tution costs that some unis charge on placement years.

Are you able to swap to the one with a placement year once you ve already started?

That's what I thought :/ The tuition costs would be £1,000 (I think), so I would have to apply for a loan for that :/

Is that a possibility? I thought if I changed my course once I'd started, SF would take my old course as one year study and then I'd be eligible for less in the long run?
That's what I thought :/ The tuition costs would be £1,000 (I think), so I would have to apply for a loan for that :/

Is that a possibility? I thought if I changed my course once I'd started, SF would take my old course as one year study and then I'd be eligible for less in the long run?

I d think it d be possible to swap once you start at least from a unis perspective as in ask to swap a few months in or something as long as its the exact same course except one has a placement year.
I m not sure of the maintenance allowed in placement years anyway its much less than normal, this might help?
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/maths/placements/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Student_Support_Service_Presentation_14-10-2014.pdf
Reply 4
I d think it d be possible to swap once you start at least from a unis perspective as in ask to swap a few months in or something as long as its the exact same course except one has a placement year.
I m not sure of the maintenance allowed in placement years anyway its much less than normal, this might help?
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/maths/placements/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Student_Support_Service_Presentation_14-10-2014.pdf

That is really helpful, thank you so much :biggrin:
That is really helpful, thank you so much :biggrin:

no problem:smile: hope you dont have any more trouble with SFW, I m welsh myself and found them to be much better than what i hear about sfe but may their not so good after all.
no problem:smile: hope you dont have any more trouble with SFW, I m welsh myself and found them to be much better than what i hear about sfe but may their not so good after all.

SFE, SFW and SFNI are really all the same people - it's all the Student Loans Company. It's only SAAS that's an actual separate body.

Personally I think the SLC do a great job on the whole. SFE have more complaints simply because they have more customers! I think most problems are actually caused by mistakes on applications, or incorrect evidence being sent.

Quick Reply