The Student Room Group

Government investing £2mill in Blackpool Illuminations, but not maintenance grants?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Dalek1099
You really think that people should have their educational choices limited by their background?(this is very unfair and immoral as children can't control what their parents earn and this reduces social mobility).

I also mentioned that without Student Finance I wouldn't be able to go to any University(never mind Durham) and would be signing up for JSA.

Nearly every city has a university. It's not the end of the world if you don't attend Russell Group.
Original post by Plutonian
Nearly every city has a university. It's not the end of the world if you don't attend Russell Group.

He has an offer from Cambridge. You're entering a dangerous zone... :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have already mentioned that I couldn't attend any University without Student Finance, even a University in my front garden as my mam doesn't have enough money to support me without benefits and these benefits stop at the end of August/start of September so I would have to sign up for JSA and not go to University if Student Finance was scrapped.There are several local Universities in my area that I could live at home and travel to like Sunderland,Newcastle,Northumbria and Durham(compulsory to live in one the first year though).

Why should poor students have to have their educational opportunities and indeed job chances limited by having parents, who don't earn enough for them to support them at University?All Students should have the opportunity to visit any University they would like and to get into the top russell group Universities/Oxbridge, these shouldn't be reserved for the very richest students.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Dalek1099
I have already mentioned that I couldn't attend any University without Student Finance, even a University in my front garden as my mam doesn't have enough money to support me without benefits and these benefits stop at the end of August/start of September so I would have to sign up for JSA and not go to University if Student Finance was scrapped.

It's not being scrapped, it's being turned into a loan.
It's not being scrapped, it's being turned into a loan.

Yes and the conversation started with me replying to someone claiming that noone needed a Student Loan and only needed to loan Tuition Fees.

I actually support the grants being changed into loans, at the same time the Government will actually up the total loan to £8000 that poor students get helping them even more.
Original post by nulli tertius
One man's cost is another man's investment.

The effect of the British system is to concentrate large numbers of young adults in about 100 student towns for a little over half the year.

Would having the 18-21 year olds of Market Harborough and its surrounding villages commuting to Leicester and Northampton every day contribute more to the economy than having them live in London, Bristol and a campus 3 miles outside Hull?

Well it might be ruinous for Rigsby but the government would be lending students less money.

A subtler problem might be that supporting student choice encourages wasteful peacocking in universities - I'd assume all their new buildings would look rather more functional and plain if unis just had a fixed catchment area.
The government should only give grants to students of the 'worthwhile' degrees. This would discourage pointless degrees simultaneously encouraging the degrees that would benefit society such as STEM subjects and teaching.
Original post by Icing_on_the_cake
The government should only give grants to students of the 'worthwhile' degrees. This would discourage pointless degrees simultaneously encouraging the degrees that would benefit society such as STEM subjects and teaching.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending