The Student Room Group

is there ANY positives with the choices I have made?

I've just finished my AS and am awaiting results like all of you. I feel I've kind of choose the wrong A level subjects and will do terrible and get CCD or CCC at best. I didn't know what course I wanted to do when I choose my a levels at uni so choose broad ones so I could do most things outside science but now I have decided I want to do accounting and finance and nearly every uni in the country has no specific subjects required, just grades... I feel I would have been better of doing easier a levels like buissness, IT and phycology for example and get a solid BBB. I want to avoid doing the whole year again due to the new changes and think I'll achieve 3 C's overall at A2 at best. One sort of 'way out' is I'll do an extra general studies a level while doing my A2's as this requires little time but I can still get someore ucas points. The uni I want to go to is de montforf for accouting and finance and it requires 300 points. Its worth noting I did get good gcse's mostly A's and B's. I'm really upset that no one has told me this and feel im at a huge disadvantage now when I see people doing easy levels and getting really high grades.
to the main point, am i at a advantage here at all for doing these subjects and will it benefit me more in the long run or is all uni"s and employers care about grades?
(edited 8 years ago)
Harder A levels would be a better preperation for university. The course you mention is numerate; having a numerate a level like maths would be useful, and strong essay subjects would help you for analytical ability.
Original post by alexp98
I've just finished my AS and am awaiting results like all of you. I feel I've kind of choose the wrong A level subjects and will do terrible and get CCD or CCC at best. I didn't know what course I wanted to do when I choose my a levels at uni so choose broad ones so I could do most things outside science but now I have decided I want to do accounting and finance and nearly every uni in the country has no specific subjects required, just grades... I feel I would have been better of doing easier a levels like buissness, IT and phycology for example and get a solid BBB. I want to avoid doing the whole uear again due to the new changes and think I'll achieve 3 C's overall at A2 at best. One sort of 'way out' is I'll do an extra general studies a level while doinh my A2's as this requires little time but I can still get someore ucas points. The uni I want to go to is de momtford for accouting and finance and it requires 300 points. Its worth noting I did get good gcse's mostly A's and B's. I'm reallu upset that no one has told me this and feel im at a huge disadvathe now when I see people doing easy levels and getting really high grades.
to the main point, am i at a advantage here at all for doing these subjects and will it benefit me more in the long run or is all uni"s and employers care about grades?

Not many universities accept general studies i m afraid so you ll have ask de monfort if they do sure. Some subjects give you an advantage as unis specifically ask for them. You ve not had your results yet so dont lose home, wait till august then come up with a plan (CCC is not terrible and you can improve on that in a2 if needs be).
Reply 3
Original post by KingStannis
Harder A levels would be a better preperation for university. The course you mention is numerate; having a numerate a level like maths would be useful, and strong essay subjects would help you for analytical ability.

Thanks, thats kind of cheered me up a bit :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
Not many universities accept general studies i m afraid so you ll have ask de monfort if they do sure. Some subjects give you an advantage as unis specifically ask for them. You ve not had your results yet so dont lose home, wait till august then come up with a plan (CCC is not terrible and you can improve on that in a2 if needs be).

Thanks for the reply :smile: yep I went to an open day and talked to the entry people at the stand and they said they do for all courses apart from the science based ones. Problem I have now is when I do my ucas form when i go back for A2 what will happen as if I do get ccd eg this year at AS- this is no where near 300 so im sure I wouldn't get a conditional offer. Is there a way I could tell them I'm doing an extra a level and get the predicted points or would I just have to wait for clearing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by alexp98
Thanks for the reply :smile: yep I went to an open day and talked to the entry people at the stand and they said they do for all courses apart from the science based ones. Problem I habe no is when I do my ucas what will happen as if I do get ccd eg this is no where near 300 so im sure I wouldn't get an offer. Is there a way I could tell thwm I'm doing an extra a level and get the predicted points or would I just have to wait for clearing

you can put the extra a level down as pending and your referee would have to give a predicted grade for it.
Reply 6
you can put the extra a level down as pending and your referee would have to give a predicted grade for it.

Omg you have no idea how much that has cheered me up!! :smile: I literally haven't been able to sleep lol. I was scared that as I didnt do the general studies AS all they could offer is from my current AS predicted grades so I would have no chance! now i should get very close to 300 at least. Lets presume worse case this year and I get CDD if I put the extra work in with no resits what would be a realistix target that I could achieve overall?
Thanks so much for your help
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by alexp98
Omg you have no idea how much that has cheered me up!! :smile: I literally haven't been able to sleep lol. I was scared that as I didnt do the general studies AS all they could offer is from my current AS predicted grades so I would have no chance! now i should get very close to 300 at least. Lets presume worse case this year and I get CDD if I put the extra work in with no resits what would be a realistix target that I could achieve overall?
Thanks so much for your help

Realistically i ve heard people going of a grade increase in each subject so BCC could be a good aim, all depends on UMS really.
Reply 8
Realistically i ve heard people going of a grade increase in each subject so BCC could be a good aim, all depends on UMS really.

Ok thanks

Quick Reply

Latest