The Student Room Group

Is anyon else revising in the summer holidays?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lularose83
Ok, I know this is really sad, but I've started doing an hour a day of each of my three A2 subjects... I can't fall behind because I need AAA prediction so desperately, and as my AS results are uncertain, I'm thinking of plan B- to try and convince my teachers that I can achieve AAA!

I don't really know the purpose of this thread, I'm just trying to make myself feel better about results day. It's not working :frown: :frown: :frown:

I'm doing the same as you, only I'm a GCSE student. I've started to get ahead on my AS because I don't know how strong my performance was at GCSE. I'm really anxious about results day ( I always expect the worst case scenario). So I figured that I need a strong set of A-levels, especially because I would like to study physics at either Cambridge or Warwick University in the future. Good luck with results day. :smile:
Original post by aish98xo
I'm doing the same as you, only I'm a GCSE student. I've started to get ahead on my AS because I don't know how strong my performance was at GCSE. I'm really anxious about results day ( I always expect the worst case scenario). So I figured that I need a strong set of A-levels, especially because I would like to study physics at either Cambridge or Warwick University in the future. Good luck with results day. :smile:

I remember worrying so much about my GCSE results last year, it's horrible isn't it? You always do much better than anticipated though, trust me! I researched stuff outside of the a level spec and it really helped me understand the subjects better. Good luck with your results, the wait is almost over now :smile:
Gimps
Reply 63
I've started revising for Computing A2 (already learnt how to do floating point binary :P) and I am also keeping up with coursework at the moment. My teacher has set a winter deadline for our entire projects, so it would be pretty bad to not do any work on them over summer.
Reply 64
Original post by pineneedles
Ah, I'm Edexcel :P We have separate books for everything. I was wondering because I'm having trouble finding the books I need.

You can find the books online, as well as free online notes.
I remember worrying so much about my GCSE results last year, it's horrible isn't it? You always do much better than anticipated though, trust me! I researched stuff outside of the a level spec and it really helped me understand the subjects better. Good luck with your results, the wait is almost over now :smile:

It really is :frown: I just hope I meet my predicted grades because they were quite decent. I can't even imagine what results day is going to be like. :/
Original post by Clytaemnestra
Exactly, have a good break now. I'm sure everyone here has done well. I've finished my A levels now so I'm now nervously waiting for results day to see if I'm going to uni.

Thanks, you too.
Same, A Levels over and done with 😎 which makes results day 1000x more stressful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aish98xo
It really is :frown: I just hope I meet my predicted grades because they were quite decent. I can't even imagine what results day is going to be like. :/

Honestly, just try and relax. Focus on your AS subjects, watch films when you start worrying. On results day I'd advise opening them on your own because when I picked mine up, I started to cry and couldn't speak properly as I was so scared and people kept coming up to me and telling me what they got! It's actually quite funny because this time last year I thought that getting a grade lower than I wanted for GCSE would be the end of the world, but when you get to AS they seem so insignificant. :smile:
Original post by diamondluck
Thanks, you too.
Same, A Levels over and done with 😎 which makes results day 1000x more stressful

Posted from TSR Mobile

Much more so than last year, agreed. Good luck with results and after :smile: are you going to uni this year? I'm so scared haha
Original post by thechemistress
Haha, no. Tried it last year when going into AS and it was basically no use. You'll have forgotten what you learnt by the time it comes to actually learning it in class. All my teachers said not to bother, they've seen it done every year and it makes absolutely no difference. Apparently the people who've learnt stuff early actually tend to focus less in lessons because they think "Oh, I know this" and subsequently don't grasp the concepts that are being taught. So this year I'm just going to have a chilled, relaxed summer. I also have the UKCAT to prepare for so I couldn't even if I wanted to xD

Instead of learning A2 course material, why not try going beyond the syllabus and learning stuff you know you won't be learning next year? Coursera do a lot of university level courses, those are good for expanding your knowledge. Read a couple of books around the subjects you're applying for? Or why not pick up a new language? I've picked up French again :biggrin:
I mean guys, it's summer. You have a break from the rigidity of the AS and A2 courses yet you want to spend it learning A2 stuff? Doesn't make much sense to me, but whatever floats your boat :lol:

but that was for AS though you probably had 0 idea what you were up against...plus A2 has more content and unfourtanetly all of my teachers have said we have tests when we come back so i have 0 choice...
Now that I have some more notebooks, I'm starting to up my efforts.
Original post by scrawlx101
but that was for AS though you probably had 0 idea what you were up against...plus A2 has more content and unfourtanetly all of my teachers have said we have tests when we come back so i have 0 choice...

Haha, poor you :lol: don't think we have any tests when we get back, but I could be wrong.
I'm also revising but it's starting next week,but I'm not going overboard,I will be doing at least 1 hour on Mon,Tues,Wen, and on Sunday;it's the summer holiday anyway,you need to give at least some break for yourself,I suppose I need to do the same thing,but I'm really worried over my sociology exam,because I think I've done bad within my unit 1,so I might recap a bit on the unit just in case I have failed,I'm doing my Religious Studies AS with A2 as well next year,because my teacher felt like I was not capable of passing next year,which made me a bit upset,but hey it is better to take the advantage now then ditching it to exam season where you won't have enough time,but most importantly,try and be lenient with your revision during summer,because you might lack motivation next year,because you may know the information now,but in further months,you might forget and it will stress you out even more.
I finished revising C3, C4, FP2, FP3.
Reply 74
Revising for entrance exams, and exams soon after the holidays... clever idea.
Revising for A2s? Generally a waste of time tbh,
Original post by Clytaemnestra
Much more so than last year, agreed. Good luck with results and after :smile: are you going to uni this year? I'm so scared haha

Haha thank you! Good luck to you too :smile:
Nah, I'm actually taking a gap year to work and stuff, how about you? Don't be scared, I'm sure you did well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by diamondluck
Haha thank you! Good luck to you too :smile:
Nah, I'm actually taking a gap year to work and stuff, how about you? Don't be scared, I'm sure you did well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Uni for me haha, hopefully! And thank you :wink:
Good luck for your A2 results! Tbh, it is perhaps a bit futile to revise over summer, as I just spend the whole time worrying about AS results :smile:

aw thankyou! and im sure you've done well:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kkboyk
For me, its Bristol, Bath, Aberdeen and probably Warwick.

For maths?
Original post by thechemistress
Haha, no. Tried it last year when going into AS and it was basically no use. You'll have forgotten what you learnt by the time it comes to actually learning it in class. All my teachers said not to bother, they've seen it done every year and it makes absolutely no difference. Apparently the people who've learnt stuff early actually tend to focus less in lessons because they think "Oh, I know this" and subsequently don't grasp the concepts that are being taught. So this year I'm just going to have a chilled, relaxed summer. I also have the UKCAT to prepare for so I couldn't even if I wanted to xD

Instead of learning A2 course material, why not try going beyond the syllabus and learning stuff you know you won't be learning next year? Coursera do a lot of university level courses, those are good for expanding your knowledge. Read a couple of books around the subjects you're applying for? Or why not pick up a new language? I've picked up French again :biggrin:
I mean guys, it's summer. You have a break from the rigidity of the AS and A2 courses yet you want to spend it learning A2 stuff? Doesn't make much sense to me, but whatever floats your boat :lol:

I second this. See if you can find any "bridging the gap" kind of exercises but otherwise don't work. Take a break, write your PS, do research for the unis you want to apply for. You'll forget everything the moment you get back into school.

Quick Reply

Latest