The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Alternative Accomodation

Hi, I have applied late for accommodation in UCL and I'm looking for alternatives. Does anyone have any recommendations? The most important factors are being within close proximity of UCL and within range £150-£250 pw. Self catered and decent looking preferably as well.
Reply 1
Hi, I am in the exact same position! I am starting to freak out that I am not going to find anywhere to live! I looked at the alternative accommodation on the UCL website but none of them really appealed to me. Guess I shouldn't be picky...
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by v.zanotto
Hi, I am in the exact same position! I am starting to freak out that I am not going to find anywhere to live! I looked at the alternative accommodation on the UCL website but none of them really appealed to me. Guess I shouldn't be picky...

Hey! Yeah pretty much the same position here too
You can try UNITE or university of London halls (although they might have the same problem.) Although, if your budget is that wide, you'll be able to find private accommodation within walking distance (up to 30mins) of UCL.

If you're still in a pickle quite late in the game, you can still contact the accommodation office and see if they have any spaces for students. I think they open up again for students around 10th September.
Reply 4
Original post by That_Clever_Guy
Hey! Yeah pretty much the same position here too

I am actually freaking out because I'm international and I am not arriving in London until a couple weeks before fresher's...Im starting to think that I might get a flat and live with complete strangers
Original post by v.zanotto
I am actually freaking out because I'm international and I am not arriving in London until a couple weeks before fresher's...Im starting to think that I might get a flat and live with complete strangers

Join a facebook fresher's page and there will be other people in your position. You might be able to get a flatshare with some other students.
Hey there! Hope everyone is doing good!

I'm looking for someone to take over my contract at urbanest St. Pancras for an ensuite room from September 2015 to Sept 2016. You'll be sharing a kitchen and living room with 4 other people. Nice location with great transport links and within walking distance to Russell Square! £269ppw. Please PM me if interested! :smile:
Somebody else asked ghe same question in the accommodation thread so I've copied my answer from there :smile:

"Yeah don't bother with the UCAS adverts. They never advertise anything that the majority of students can afford and apparently some of those private halls have a lot of issues.

You could try signing up to the University of London housing services as they will show you properties that are basically covered by UoL so you have a low chance of getting ripped off.
Another option is looking on the facebook fresher pages as around this time of year people post for their spare rooms to be filled.
Also I suggest spareroom.co.uk and look for properties about in a 2/3 mile radius of the post code WC1A (assuming you're studying at the Bloomsbury campus). There is a slight chance you could end up with something dodgy since you can't visit the properties but most places are legit and cheap. There are some spare rooms in Camden going around for £150-£170 with bills included

You could also go on the 'find a flatmate' section of TSR and look for threads from London students who want to share/have a spare room."

EDIT: Also, I strongly avoid year long contracts!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kanonym
Hi, I have applied late for accommodation in UCL and I'm looking for alternatives. Does anyone have any recommendations? The most important factors are being within close proximity of UCL and within range £150-£250 pw. Self catered and decent looking preferably as well.

Hi, I'm a pharmacy student at UCL and I have a ensuite room at UNITE Emily Bowes Court. Its £179 a week including all bills and its a 40 week contract. Its about 4 stops to get to Kings cross on the Victoria line which doesn't take long. Tenancy starts on the 19/09/2015Tenancy end date is 26/06/2015 Message me if you're interested =D I need someone to replace me because I've booked it but I want to live with friends next year instead.
Reply 9
I'm looking for private accommodation as well (I'm international student). Maybe we could gather a few people and rent a flat in London I guess?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I'm also a international student and will start my postgraduate studies at UCL. I'm interested in renting a flat with other freshers :smile:
Reply 11
I'm also a international student and will start my postgraduate studies at UCL. I'm interested in renting a flat with other freshers :smile:
Reply 12
Beautiful two bedroom flat in period mansion - BIDBOROUGH STREET!

£500 per week

NEWLY REFURBISHED

Via. professional private lettings agency

Call 020 7907 1805rtj.jpg
Liberty Hall St. John's and Sebastian street still have rooms available.
Flatmates Wanted for a flat near King's Cross, London.(£90 per week). Four places available. Must be a non-smoking, tidy, quiet, serious student. To arrange to meet, please PM me.
Original post by StudentFlatmate
Flatmates Wanted for a flat near King's Cross, London.(£90 per week). Four places available. Must be a non-smoking, tidy, quiet, serious student. To arrange to meet, please PM me.

Can you expand on this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Moonstruck,are you looking for accomodations in London near UCL?
Original post by mdaniluk

im interested in a flatshare!
Hi All,

Hopefully, I'll be able to help!

Based on what some of you have mentioned in regards to proximity, and roughly £150-£250pw budget, I hope that I can give you a few recommendations as a bench mark to begin your search:

Woodland House
Popular with UCL residents (we have roughly 350 staying there this year), en suite bedrooms are from £235pw and is all-inclusive of bills (including up to 100 Mb Wi-fi, gym, private cinema etc.).
It's two stops on the Piccadilly like, so it will take you roughly under 20 minutes to reach your campus [MAP]

They have roughly around 20 rooms left available.

Wedgwood House
One stop further up on the Piccadilly Line [MAP], due to availability, the cheapest rooms we have available are studios for £269pw.
Has almost all the same facilities as Woodland :smile:

Tufnell House
Roughly 25 minute journey on the tube [MAP], Tufnell House is one of our most popular residences as en suite bedrooms begin from £219pw.

Hopefully that will help you to begin somewhere.

Please let me know if you have any questions on these, or our other London residences, and I'd be happy to help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending