The Student Room Group

Hill Dickinson Video Interview

I am applying to Hill Dickinson next year, and someone from law class noticed part of their application requires a video interview. I've never heard of a pre-recorded video interview before. Has anyone had experience with this? What does this entail? Please help. Thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)
I just answered this - but basically, you log on, with your lap top and use the camera in it to record the IV - the software guides you through. A bod pops up in a small screen within your screen - basically what is called a box in a box in TV - and asks you questions; you then reply and there is a little clock that counts you down. You cant record it again and there are 3 or 4 qus. You get a warm up qu which you can record again and you get lots of instructions and get to adjust the audio etc.

Make sure there is no naughty pictures on the wall behind; make sure the cat does not walk in on you and dress smartly, smile, speak slowly DONT look at the small screen of you look into the camera. If you don't you will look like a dork in the audience at X factor watching themselves on the studio monitor.

anyway that is how it was for me. remember it is a person who is reviewing you, even though you are speaking to a machine. its not that bad. Oh and on mine you get a30 second delay before it records so you can slightly prepare yourself. good luck. 'wear a suit and some make up even if you are a boy

Original post by Fmacca
I am applying to Hill Dickinson next year, and someone from law class noticed part of their application requires a video interview. I've never heard of a pre-recorded video interview before. Has anyone had experience with this? What does this entail? Please help. Thanks.
Reply 2
Original post by happyinthehaze
I just answered this - but basically, you log on, with your lap top and use the camera in it to record the IV - the software guides you through. A bod pops up in a small screen within your screen - basically what is called a box in a box in TV - and asks you questions; you then reply and there is a little clock that counts you down. You cant record it again and there are 3 or 4 qus. You get a warm up qu which you can record again and you get lots of instructions and get to adjust the audio etc.

Make sure there is no naughty pictures on the wall behind; make sure the cat does not walk in on you and dress smartly, smile, speak slowly DONT look at the small screen of you look into the camera. If you don't you will look like a dork in the audience at X factor watching themselves on the studio monitor.

anyway that is how it was for me. remember it is a person who is reviewing you, even though you are speaking to a machine. its not that bad. Oh and on mine you get a30 second delay before it records so you can slightly prepare yourself. good luck. 'wear a suit and some make up even if you are a boy

Thank you so much for the reply.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3

What type of questions do they ask in the video interview?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Fmacca

Sounds like somebody has a VI this weekend. :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by SLS55
Sounds like somebody has a VI this weekend. :wink:

Nope. When I do apply next year, I have no time this year and I'm doing more uni, I want to be prepared. My careers office at uni told us to get as much information about firms before we actually apply. I guess you're more with the last-minute fire brigade approach? lol
Original post by Fmacca

Mine was competency-based - can't remember now what they were, but they were kind of 'tell me about a time you had conflicting deadlines' or 'about a mistake, what did you learn from it and what would you do differently' - probably different from firm to firm though - their grad recruit site probably gives some of the competencies that they are looking for, so check and see; probably based around that - standard stuff. Look on the VS and TC threads, you will probably find more info
Reply 7
Mine was competency-based - can't remember now what they were, but they were kind of 'tell me about a time you had conflicting deadlines' or 'about a mistake, what did you learn from it and what would you do differently' - probably different from firm to firm though - their grad recruit site probably gives some of the competencies that they are looking for, so check and see; probably based around that - standard stuff. Look on the VS and TC threads, you will probably find more info

This wasn't HD? It was another firm?
No it wasn't with HD; it was another firm. Your question didn't ask about the HD video interview - you asked whether anyone had any experience with pre-recorded video interviews - that's the question I was answering. Loads of firms do video interviews

Original post by Fmacca
This wasn't HD? It was another firm?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending