The Student Room Group

A-Level results day: Didn't do as well as you'd hoped? Advice here - 13 August 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cosmicluma
I'm been offered a foundation science course at Leeds (firm) instead of food science, or I could decline that and do the course at cardiff met (insurance) instead - any advice on this?

Was dissappointed with my grades overall - AQA moderated my coursework down by 27ums...

You ve 5 days to decide if you want to do it but you can reject it and go to your insurance if you want to:smile:
Hi there,

Could anyone reply to my thread with advice on what unis/courses to pursue on Clearing now? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3502609&p=58424717
Thanks in advance
Hello,

I received conditional offers for two top 15 universities with entrance grades of AAA and AAB. Today I got my results and the offer turned unconditional for both of them and I was offered to be put into UCAS adjustment. The strange thing is that I got my results and they were strangely low, I received Ds in subjects I got As and A*s all year long. Can the unis reverse these unconditional offers? also might there have been a mistake with the grades?

Thanks for all you help
AS results - so I got a CD in health and social and the individual units were ok other than unit 1. I got a U. I was wondering if I should get it remarked! And how would I do that? And how much would I
It cost? If that doesn't change it, I will resit it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Frank15482
Hello,

I received conditional offers for two top 15 universities with entrance grades of AAA and AAB. Today I got my results and the offer turned unconditional for both of them and I was offered to be put into UCAS adjustment. The strange thing is that I got my results and they were strangely low, I received Ds in subjects I got As and A*s all year long. Can the unis reverse these unconditional offers? also might there have been a mistake with the grades?

Thanks for all you help

In theory they can reverse the decision but they have to notify you first and explain it was a mistake.

In practice - this is normal behaviour. Most universities will take applicants with grades below the offer.

Everyone who is accepted to their firm choice gets the Adjustment button - it doesn't mean you're eligible, it means UCAS aren't clever enough to judge if you're eligible and so give everyone the option and rely on universities to spot mistakes.
Got a B in the Unit so I'm not overly fussed, but I was expecting an A: for WJEC ICT you have to bring in a spreadsheet booklet thing to answer questions about. I used an extra sheet of paper in the exam and I think I might have put it within this booklet rather than within the exam paper. Is it possible to check this extra sheet was marked (do exams officers record when extra paper is sent off?). Thanks!
Hey there! Hopefully this is the right place XD

I recently got my results and although I'm happy with most (I'm a AS Level student), I'm a little disappointed with my Psychology mark. I received a C and by calculating the UMS marks, it turns out I got 69% (which is one percent of a B I believe). I'm asking if anyone thinks it is worth it to have my Psychology exam(s) remarked?

I'm not really sure on how to actually have it remarked either, although I've read the initial post. Would I pay Psychology as a whole or would I have to pay the two Psychology papers that add up to my mark separately? Hopefully this makes sense!
Reply 27
Hi there guys. So this past year was really difficult for me, but overall I managed to get 2Cs & a D at AS Level; for having not put in much effort, I got what I expected :/. The D, however, was in "Health & Social Care", & I was expecting a higher grade. I got a mark of 60 in unit 1 (the portfolio) which was a C, & a mark of 55/60 on the written exam paper - unit 2 - which was apparently a D somehow. The exam bored was AQA & I just can't make sense of it - any advice...? Could this actually be a mistake...? Any advice would be much appreciated & I'm going to my school on Tuesday for further advice, but would like some input before then. Long time to wait when it comes to exam result clearance :smile: thanks guys.
Reply 28
Original post by bekki_97
Hi there guys. So this past year was really difficult for me, but overall I managed to get 2Cs & a D at AS Level; for having not put in much effort, I got what I expected :/. The D, however, was in "Health & Social Care", & I was expecting a higher grade. I got a mark of 60 in unit 1 (the portfolio) which was a C, & a mark of 55/60 on the written exam paper - unit 2 - which was apparently a D somehow. The exam bored was AQA & I just can't make sense of it - any advice...? Could this actually be a mistake...? Any advice would be much appreciated & I'm going to my school on Tuesday for further advice, but would like some input before then. Long time to wait when it comes to exam result clearance :smile: thanks guys.

If you think you did really well then ask for your paper back....its worth a shot imo..to see where you wrong so you can make amends.

If i were you concentrate fully on having a good PS and getting those grades. That all that matters tbh.
I didnt meet my firmoffer but they offered me a revised offer. I dont wish to take this up and therefore willbe taking mh inurance offer. If I accep my insurance/Decline my firm am I tied into attend here, or will I still get 7 days to decjde if I want to acceptmg insurance.
Just got my AS grades.B in English Literature, B in English Language and finally, an A in Sociology. I'm wanting to study English at uni, I'm thinking St Andrews or Edinburgh as my two top choices. Will these grades be alright (the requirement being AAA) if I work my socks off at A2 or should I resit Language and Lit?
Hi, I was predicted to get A's at AS level and got CDDD, with a C in Biology and DDD in Chemistry , Economics and Maths. I was hoping to apply for medicine in september but with these grades I will struggle to get the predictions needed. Would I still have a shot at doing medicine if I retake most of my AS papers and apply next September with my final A-level results? Also, I was going to drop Maths, but would a D in my fourth AS hurt my application if I applied post A-levels? Help is much appreciated, I'm really confused right now.
Original post by Hsjdjejfjdnf
I didnt meet my firmoffer but they offered me a revised offer. I dont wish to take this up and therefore willbe taking mh inurance offer. If I accep my insurance/Decline my firm am I tied into attend here, or will I still get 7 days to decjde if I want to acceptmg insurance.

Is your insurance conditional or unconditional on Track?
I got my as results today and didn't go well at all I got kicked out of my school because I didn't get the minimum grades to continue to a2 and I don't really know what to do now. I never thought it would be this bad so I never had a plan b. I'm not sure what my opinions are I think maybe doing a betec or looking at apprenticeships but I don't know what subject area to go towards someone please help me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure what to do here.

I've got a C in Travel & Tourism A2, a D in English Literature & Language A2 and an E in Food & Nutrition.

My mum is really dissapointed I didn't get a C in English and wants me to get it no matter what. I was 12 UMS points away from a C, scoring 228 and needing 240. Is it possible I can retake the coursework and get those 12 points there? Or will I have to retake the exam? How many marks is 12 UMS points, would I need to do drastically better? Is it even worth retaking and can I retake?, can CCE get me ANYTHING decent in university? Or is it worth just having a C in English Lit and Lang in general when applying to any job?

Really looking forward to any replies with advice on what's best to od.
1 ums off A* in Maths, but have already met the conditions of my firm. Worth a remark? - Considering it's maths and the price...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Kloekayne
I got my as results today and didn't go well at all I got kicked out of my school because I didn't get the minimum grades to continue to a2 and I don't really know what to do now. I never thought it would be this bad so I never had a plan b. I'm not sure what my opinions are I think maybe doing a betec or looking at apprenticeships but I don't know what subject area to go towards someone please help me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

retake the year?
Hi so I got my AS results today and I got AAAC although I was predicted 4 As (English lit, politics, maths, and history). I got the C in History even though I usually got As/Bs in class and one C in a mock but I had read the question wrong lol. One of the papers was horrendous (I finished 20 mins early and stared at the clock because my mind was just blank) and the other, which was my weaker one, I thought went well but it turned out I got 38/60 in both. I checked and I'm 4 marks off a B and so I was wondering if I should get it remarked or just retake it?
There's also the problem that I want to drop English, which i got an A in, instead of History since I want to do international relations and uni so what are peoples thoughts on which one I should drop? My school is strongly suggesting English:s-smilie:
Reply 38
Original post by stimpy27
AS results - so I got a CD in health and social and the individual units were ok other than unit 1. I got a U. I was wondering if I should get it remarked! And how would I do that? And how much would I
It cost? If that doesn't change it, I will resit it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll need to speak to your examinations officer to arrange a remark. See the OP to get an idea of the prices.

Original post by Mattematics
Got a B in the Unit so I'm not overly fussed, but I was expecting an A: for WJEC ICT you have to bring in a spreadsheet booklet thing to answer questions about. I used an extra sheet of paper in the exam and I think I might have put it within this booklet rather than within the exam paper. Is it possible to check this extra sheet was marked (do exams officers record when extra paper is sent off?). Thanks!

Hmm...I'd imagine it to be unlikely that they didn't send that off too. To be sure, you could request a copy of your script or something? :smile:

Original post by SamHewetson
Hey there! Hopefully this is the right place XD

I recently got my results and although I'm happy with most (I'm a AS Level student), I'm a little disappointed with my Psychology mark. I received a C and by calculating the UMS marks, it turns out I got 69% (which is one percent of a B I believe). I'm asking if anyone thinks it is worth it to have my Psychology exam(s) remarked?

I'm not really sure on how to actually have it remarked either, although I've read the initial post. Would I pay Psychology as a whole or would I have to pay the two Psychology papers that add up to my mark separately? Hopefully this makes sense!

It's completely up to you! It's unlikely that your mark will go down but just bear in mind that if your grade doesn't change, you will have to pay.

In terms of arranging a remark, you'll need to speak to your examinations officer. The prices for a remark in the OP are per paper. :smile:

Original post by Throwaway13
Hi, I was predicted to get A's at AS level and got CDDD, with a C in Biology and DDD in Chemistry , Economics and Maths. I was hoping to apply for medicine in september but with these grades I will struggle to get the predictions needed. Would I still have a shot at doing medicine if I retake most of my AS papers and apply next September with my final A-level results? Also, I was going to drop Maths, but would a D in my fourth AS hurt my application if I applied post A-levels? Help is much appreciated, I'm really confused right now.

As long as you work hard and score at least AAA next year, you will have a shot at Medicine. In terms of AS requirements, different Medical Schools will have different requirements for the fourth AS subject. Some will be happy to accept a pass in one whereas others may want a bit higher so you'll need to check with them. :smile:
Reply 39
Wondering if I could have some advice with my AS results.

In maths I got Core 1 as 96, Core 2 was 80 and Decision 1 was 80 which adds to 256. - an A
In further maths I got FP1 as 83, Stats 1 as 87 and Decision 2 was 69 which adds to 239. - a B

If I swap decision 1 and 2, I get 250 and 245 which would get me 2 As. Can I swap these over? Is it worth it for AS? Can I swap them next year?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest