The Student Room Group

Feeling insecure about my teeth, should I get braces?

I've never had braces but my sister has and she has almost perfect teeth as a result. My mum naturally has very straight perfect teeth too. Most people I know have had braces and have very nice teeth.

When I went for a possible braces appointment as a teenager a few years ago the orthodontist said that I didn't need braces/couldn't get them for my front crooked tooth as it wasn't a medical problem - if I did want them I'd have to get them privately and not on the NHS. My parents decided not to pay for private dental treatment for me.

Now I'm starting to feel more and more insecure about the state of my teeth. My two front teeth are long sort of jut out and I have a crooked lateral incisor (the teeth next to the two front ones). I've asked my dentist but she just gave a very generic 'do it if you want' answer, but I'm not sure if it'll be worth it since I'll be paying out of my own pocket (and I'm not finishing uni for a another few years yet). Not to mention the fact that braces at this age would look weird.

Thoughts?
Reply 1
If some one is reasonably informed enough to have a look I don't mind posting pictures (or even a second opinion would be nice)
I've considered this actually, but I wouldn't spend so much money on something so minor unless it was really affecting my standard of living, which it isn't, I'm just a perfectionist and it's mildly irritating that I can't do anything about having overbite. However, if you feel that it is affecting your confidence and basic standard of living, social issues etc. I would say go for it. Even if it is really minor, you might post a picture in here that I considered to be completely normal and that you didn't need braces or any correcting treatment, but you might just think the opposite. The answer is, unfortunately...'if you want to do it, do it' haha.
I used to have an extremely crooked lateral incisor that was prominent, however as the rest of my teeth were near enough perfect it was considered a cosmetic issue. After years of contemplating, my mum agreed to pay for me to go privately and have braces on my top teeth - the process only took 6 months (would have been 5 but I requested to keep them on extra because I wanted to be 100% happy) however as I got translucent braces it cost £3000. I know this is easy for me to say as I didn't pay for them, but they were one the best decisions I've ever made.
Don't worry about how they look it is SUCH a short time compared to the rest of your life and once they are off it seems completely worth while. My only regret is getting translucent ones as they cost so much more and because they are uncommon they actually drew more attention to my mouth!
I'd recommend just booking a consultation with an orthodontist talk through pricing/timescale to help you make a decision. :smile:
If the problem you have with your teeth is only minor you should check out fastbraces, they are affordable and you only need to wear them for a few months :smile:
Today's orthodontics offer more types of braces than ever before. Don't worry you will be having the best teeth braces as per your requirement.Thanks for sharing…

Quick Reply

Latest