The Student Room Group

Opinions on austerity?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SotonianOne
We never had full austerity because Osborne has cut taxes and delayed cuts in 2011-12. I'm not sure what "huge recession" you are talking about.

Keynesian economics have been out of touch with our understanding of economics for 30+ years. I do not take any non-New Keynesian economists/sources seriously because they are just wrong.

I have listened to Paul Krugman's podcast and his explanation of why austerity does not work seems to focus too much on the short term rather than the long term, in fact he never even talked about the long term. Krugman fallaciously points to countries such as Iceland and Ireland as an "example" of why austerity does not work despite both of these countries fully recovering and now growing at the fastest rates in Europe, compared to nations which issued a fiscal stimulus like Japan which Krugman advocates despite the fact that Japan at current levels looks ****ed in a decade.

Krugman focuses too much on the failures of austerity, like Greece, rather than even bothering studying why austerity is good, like in Central/Eastern Europe, especially UK, Ireland, Estonia and Poland. By no means am I of the same calibre on Economics like Krugman, but his tactics of pointing to failures and avoiding the successes are slimy.

That's despite the fact that most advocates of austerity don't even advocate what happened in Greece. Spending cuts should be done when the economy is growing. Not when it is stagnant or contracting. And they also must be done, keeping spending consistent or rising is equally terrible. Greece has firstly cut too slow in 2008/9/10 and when they realised they are ****ed they cut too fast in 2011/12/13. No logic applied.

And I use the term "austerity" very liberally, since UK's situation can hardly be labeled as such.

If you can give me a case of austerities success that would be good. Austerity measures in the UK increased the wealth divide, stilted growth, caused poverty and homelessness and harmed society in may other ways. Workers and ordinary people did not cause the crash it was neoliberal economics and bankers so it is unjust that we pay while austerity doubles their wealth.
Reply 41
Original post by Quady
Yeah, because they never get things wrong...

Oh yes well lets not listen to experts. Millionaires in parliament who personally benefit from austerity are much more trustworthy.
Reply 42
Original post by MatureStudent36
And yet the Office of national statistics figures don't bear out any of that.

Yes they do, facts are universal.
Reply 43
Original post by McCannKay
Oh yes well lets not listen to experts. Millionaires in parliament who personally benefit from austerity are much more trustworthy.

How have Cameron and Osbourne personally benefited from austerity?
Reply 44
Original post by Quady
How have Cameron and Osbourne personally benefited from austerity?

Idealogically they have unnecessarily reduced the size of that stae. Most tory donations come from the financial sector which hugely benefits from austerity and not having to pay for c crisis they caused, they are both millionaires and the class politics of austerity increase the wealth divide and therefore the power of the rich over the poor.
Reply 45
Idealogically they have unnecessarily reduced the size of that stae. Most tory donations come from the financial sector which hugely benefits from austerity and not having to pay for c crisis they caused, they are both millionaires and the class politics of austerity increase the wealth divide and therefore the power of the rich over the poor.

So the closest you can get is the party they are a member of might be getting more donations?

Hardly a personal benefit is it?

How about Ed Milliband then? Or Alex Salmond?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Quady
So the closest you can get is the party they are a member of might be getting more donations?

Hardly the most direct benefit is it?

How about Ed Milliband then? Or Alex Salmond?

No, that was one of the reasons. Camerons family is extremely wealthy and have benefited from tax havens and other neoliberal policies. You asked how those two benefited from austerity in particular. As for Ed Milliband also benefits although to a lesser degree which is why i was skeptical of his austerity lite. If you think the damaging effect of austerity on economics and society is a good thing then you have different values to me.
Reply 47
No, that was one of the reasons. Camerons family is extremely wealthy and have benefited from tax havens and other neoliberal policies. You asked how those two benefited from austerity in particular. As for Ed Milliband also benefits although to a lesser degree which is why i was skeptical of his austerity lite. If you think the damaging effect of austerity on economics and society is a good thing then you have different values to me.

Well I thought I'd ask about the two parliamentarians who created austerity. I didn't really ask about their families, but unless you can identify any tax havens that were created and used by them I don['t see the relavence really.

How does Ed personally benefit?

You're being very vague you know...
Reply 48
Original post by Quady
Well I thought I'd ask about the two parliamentarians who created austerity. I didn't really ask about their families, but unless you can identify any tax havens that were created and used by them I don['t see the relavence really.

How does Ed personally benefit?

You're being very vague you know...

I'm being vague because how they personally benefit is not important and it was only a side comment i made that said that. If you would like to delve into why austerity is supported by members of the cabinet and the opposition we can but the most important issue is the effect of austerity on the economy and society. I have given lots of evidence that austerity is class politics that has harmed the poor and benefited the rich (a group many of the cabinet belong to and are funded by which is the reason i said that). Many people here are saying it has benefited the economy which is untrue but I think the damaging effects it has had on the poor and society are equally important.
Reply 49
Many people here are saying it has benefited the economy which is untrue but I think the damaging effects it has had on the poor and society are equally important.

And you've said it caused a huge recession which is also untrue...
Reply 50
Original post by Quady

Ignoring the huge social and economic effects something you like to do, 2010 saw growth which Osbournes austerity budget choked off and caused a triple dip recession that has only returned to growth after austerity measures were halted in the middle of their term.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/ng-interactive/2015/apr/29/the-austerity-delusion - This article by Paul Krugman brilliantly explains this better than i could. If for some reason the place he wrote this degrades it then you can read his other articles or articles by other economists like Mark Blyth.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 51
Ignoring the huge social and economic effects something you like to do, 2010 saw growth which Osbournes austerity budget choked off and caused a triple dip recession that has only returned to growth after austerity measures were halted in the middle of their term.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/ng-interactive/2015/apr/29/the-austerity-delusion - This article by Paul Krugman brilliantly explains this better than i could. If for some reason the place he wrote this degrades it then you can read his other articles or articles by other economists like Mark Blyth.

There wasn't even a double dip recession let alone a triple dip...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_recessions_in_the_United_Kingdom
Reply 52
Original post by Quady

Another in depth study on austerity:
http://international.ucla.edu/media/files/Przeworski_Vreeland.pdf
Reply 53

If you're going to use my quote where I say there wasn't a recession in the UK caused by austerity, could you at least direct me to when your supposed recession(s) were?
Reply 54
Original post by Quady
There wasn't even a double dip recession let alone a triple dip...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_recessions_in_the_United_Kingdom

My apologies I should have said growth was decreased along with the many other harmful effects like widening of the wealth divide.
Reply 55
My apologies I should have said growth was decreased along with the many other harmful effects like widening of the wealth divide.

Yeah, quite different to a 'huge recession'.

Not that you have the counterfactual obviously...
Reply 56
Original post by Quady
Yeah, quite different to a 'huge recession'.

Not that you have the counterfactual obviously...

https://theconversation.com/fact-check-has-austerity-held-back-economic-growth-40578 - Once again more evidence. The huge recession was caused by other right wing policies like unregulation of the banks. Either disprove the many negative effects of austerity i have mentioned or prove it has had a positive effect.

The triple dip recession (which has been revised away) is a statistical fluke when you compare annual growth figures which are far more representative of the real picture (growth was 2.1%, 1.4%, 0.4% for the 2010-2012 period). It was also not broad given that the service sector continued to grow. Austerity has continued since 2012 but at a slower pace and backed by increased capital spending.

- Osbourne's austerity budget in 2010 did not cause the Q4 contraction, for one thing it only cut £6bn during that financial year (not close to affecting the economy as an amount).
Reply 58
Original post by Rakas21
The triple dip recession (which has been revised away) is a statistical fluke when you compare annual growth figures which are far more representative of the real picture (growth was 2.1%, 1.4%, 0.4% for the 2010-2012 period). It was also not broad given that the service sector continued to grow. Austerity has continued since 2012 but at a slower pace and backed by increased capital spending.

- Osbourne's austerity budget in 2010 did not cause the Q4 contraction, for one thing it only cut £6bn during that financial year (not close to affecting the economy as an amount).

The recession caused by the banks was not a fluke. Growth declined when austerity occurred and i have given you a lot of sources and i will continue to until you give me evidence that austerity has benefited the economy. The lessening of austerity has increased growth, doesn't that show it is a bad thing. Ignoring still the wealth divide and poverty caused by it.

http://www.economonitor.com/dolanecon/2015/04/08/did-austerity-work-in-britain-one-chart-tells-it-all/ - Another one.
https://theconversation.com/fact-check-has-austerity-held-back-economic-growth-40578 - Once again more evidence. The huge recession was caused by other right wing policies like unregulation of the banks. Either disprove the many negative effects of austerity i have mentioned or prove it has had a positive effect.

You haven't listed any negative effects of austerity. Literally no one cares about "inequality" the moment you go past the centre dividing line of the political compass to the right. As long as there is a general increase in wealth (which there was) then no right-winger (bar facists) will care about inequality. Further explanation can be sought after from Thatcher with her "down here, up there" PMQ comment.

"Decreased growth" is not a negative effect of austerity because GDP includes government spending, your argument is that by not increasing government spending we haven't increased GDP. Yes, we could tax absolutely all the wealth, assets and income in this country of every single person and grow our GDP by 100% in a single year but that doesn't mean it's good, yet it also means we lost growth if we didn't. There is no evidence that austerity harms growth in the form of most importantly investment, and secondly private consumption. It's quite obvious it will harm public spending, because that is what it means.

There is no benefit for anyone through increase government spending by 100 billion through spending it on building bunkers around the Shetland Islands yet it increases our GDP. No one will benefit from it, including the Government itself. No one benefits from numbers. Plus, private investment grows on private consumption, not public spending. Investing that 100 billion into bunkers will not move investment by an inch.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending