The Student Room Group

I'm scared for my AS Levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WannaBMedStudent
Thanks for the solid advice! I'll defo post to update everyone how it went but the most difficult part for me isn't how well I do but more how people close to me will react and think BUT I need to get over that.

I completely see where you are coming from as I was ******* myself last year because I thought I was gonna get shocking results although I did better than I expected in the end. The thing is though often things are really not as bad as they seem and we over exaggerate things in our mind hugely and your parents may possibly do that. What this means is that it is important that you can keep a level head so that if your parents do shout at you, you don't get overwhelmed and can look at the situation from a rational perspective knowing that it isn't the end of the world hence why I would look at what your options are if you do get your worst case scenario grades. With what you said is your worst case, you still have a lot of options but if must be then push for retaking the year. 1 year late going into uni is nothing in the grand scheme of things and you wont care when you are like 30 or even 25 years old. Hope things do turn out for the best though :smile:
Original post by OrionMusicNet
I completely see where you are coming from as I was ******* myself last year because I thought I was gonna get shocking results although I did better than I expected in the end. The thing is though often things are really not as bad as they seem and we over exaggerate things in our mind hugely and your parents may possibly do that. What this means is that it is important that you can keep a level head so that if your parents do shout at you, you don't get overwhelmed and can look at the situation from a rational perspective knowing that it isn't the end of the world hence why I would look at what your options are if you do get your worst case scenario grades. With what you said is your worst case, you still have a lot of options but if must be then push for retaking the year. 1 year late going into uni is nothing in the grand scheme of things and you wont care when you are like 30 or even 25 years old. Hope things do turn out for the best though :smile:

Thanks :biggrin: May I ask what subjects you did and how you dealt with the run up to results day?
I would like to do Medicine but there have been so many bad things this past year that have affected me and thus my grades. Despite 3 deaths and just being generally unhappy at my Sixth form, everyone expects 4 A's from me which I know from the exams that it won't be. I'm scared of disappointing everyone including myself but more so I'm scared of not making the grades to be able to apply for my dream course (Medicine) as I have EVERYTHING else to make a strong application.

Any Advice?

Firstly, I know this is going to be hard, but try not to worry about your grades too much - there is nothing you can do to change your results right now. Also personally if I walk out of an exam thinking that I'd failed, and then spending ages worrying over it, it normally means I've actually done quite well. For example, in GCSE Maths I thought I'd got a C at best and actually got an A! Secondly, the only person you need to worry about disappointing is yourself - your parents should support whatever decision you make.

Additionally, your AS exams are not always your predicted grades. I've been told by my teachers that if someone was to get a C, but had extenuating circumstances that explained their 'poor' performance in the exam, the teacher might still predict them an A on the basis that if the student retook the exam the teacher strongly felt that he/she could do much better. Also, it is worth explaining your circumstances to UCAS/ask your sixth form to contact the unis you apply to. Some unis will lower their offer to you (I think Bristol may be one, I'm not sure)

The last piece of advice I can give you - even if you do decide to retake the year, it is not a shameful or bad thing. This is coming from someone who has had to retake AS levels themselves. I was absolutely terrified that I would be looked down on, but in reality my new college (and parents for the most part) have been wonderfully supportive and I have made some great friends. I've also been told by several RG unis that my application would not be affected by it as it was only AS levels I retook not A2s. Last year I got EEUU and now I'm predicted ABB (different subjects though).

I hope this helps! x
Thanks :biggrin: May I ask what subjects you did and how you dealt with the run up to results day?

I have only dealt with GCSE's atm so I am still waiting for my AS results (same as you) but my situation at GCSE's was sort of parallel of yours now. I did French, English Lang, English Lit, The three sciences, Maths, History and Computing. I thought I was going to get a C in english literature because I had been told by my school I would probs get an E in the coursework based on what they saw, thought I was going to get a B computing because I felt like the exam didn't go well, thought I would 2 E grades on 2 / 3 econ papers because I had barely revised and was basically just rambling / guessing for a lot of the questions, thought I would get an A in maths (really wanted an A* and my parents expected it too) and I feared I would might get a C in french too. In the end I got and A* in maths, a B in english lit and lang (ended up getting a C in the coursework when it actually got marked by examiners), an A* in computing, an A in economics, a B in french and A*s or As in the rest. Basically just saying that the predictions you make in your head can be vastly different to what you actually get because I felt certain I had flopped some of those papers but I was completely wrong in the end.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi OP :smile:
Firstly, please remember what everyone has said on this thread when you start to worry/ doubt yourself. I had some family problems just before my AS exams started and it definitely impacts your mind-set unfortunately. It would be advisable for you to inform the universities you want to apply to of your extenuating circumstances as well. I know what you mean about living up to parent/ teacher expectations, but in a couple of years you probably won't even remember your teachers, you'll be in med school with heaps of anatomy books and coffee to pull an all nighter. And everyone tends to do better than expected. You'll be fine :smile:
Original post by emiloujess
Firstly, I know this is going to be hard, but try not to worry about your grades too much - there is nothing you can do to change your results right now. Also personally if I walk out of an exam thinking that I'd failed, and then spending ages worrying over it, it normally means I've actually done quite well. For example, in GCSE Maths I thought I'd got a C at best and actually got an A! Secondly, the only person you need to worry about disappointing is yourself - your parents should support whatever decision you make.

Additionally, your AS exams are not always your predicted grades. I've been told by my teachers that if someone was to get a C, but had extenuating circumstances that explained their 'poor' performance in the exam, the teacher might still predict them an A on the basis that if the student retook the exam the teacher strongly felt that he/she could do much better. Also, it is worth explaining your circumstances to UCAS/ask your sixth form to contact the unis you apply to. Some unis will lower their offer to you (I think Bristol may be one, I'm not sure)

The last piece of advice I can give you - even if you do decide to retake the year, it is not a shameful or bad thing. This is coming from someone who has had to retake AS levels themselves. I was absolutely terrified that I would be looked down on, but in reality my new college (and parents for the most part) have been wonderfully supportive and I have made some great friends. I've also been told by several RG unis that my application would not be affected by it as it was only AS levels I retook not A2s. Last year I got EEUU and now I'm predicted ABB (different subjects though).

I hope this helps! x

Thanks for the advice- IT actually does help :smile: x
Original post by OrionMusicNet
I have only dealt with GCSE's atm so I am still waiting for my AS results (same as you) but my situation at GCSE's was sort of parallel of yours now. I did French, English Lang, English Lit, The three sciences, Maths, History and Computing. I thought I was going to get a C in english literature because I had been told by my school I would probs get an E in the coursework based on what they saw, thought I was going to get a B computing because I felt like the exam didn't go well, thought I would 2 E grades on 2 / 3 econ papers because I had barely revised and was basically just rambling / guessing for a lot of the questions, thought I would get an A in maths (really wanted an A* and my parents expected it too) and I feared I would might get a C in french too. In the end I got and A* in maths, a B in english lit and lang (ended up getting a C in the coursework when it actually got marked by examiners), an A* in computing, an A in economics, a B in french and A*s or As in the rest. Basically just saying that the predictions you make in your head can be vastly different to what you actually get because I felt certain I had flopped some of those papers but I was completely wrong in the end.

It all turned out well for in the end didn't it? Same thing happened at GCSE for me- I worked hard and thought I'd done okay then got 3 B's, 5 A's and 3A*'s but this year I really let all those predicted grades get to me I think and I don't want repeat that next year. They projected me 4 D's at best and that sucked when I knew I was capable of more (except for physics. I'll be lucky if I get a D in Physics). But yeah, I see what you're saying and am just sitting tight now!
Original post by Lularose83
Hi OP :smile:
Firstly, please remember what everyone has said on this thread when you start to worry/ doubt yourself. I had some family problems just before my AS exams started and it definitely impacts your mind-set unfortunately. It would be advisable for you to inform the universities you want to apply to of your extenuating circumstances as well. I know what you mean about living up to parent/ teacher expectations, but in a couple of years you probably won't even remember your teachers, you'll be in med school with heaps of anatomy books and coffee to pull an all nighter. And everyone tends to do better than expected. You'll be fine :smile:

Thanks for that! Do you know what Uni's count as extenuating circumstances? I just want to make sure that when I apply I know what I can say.

Quick Reply

Latest