The Student Room Group

Maths A Level in a Year

Due to complications in a previous school I have been forced to move to another which has in turn resulted in me having to sit a whole maths A Level in one year..
I was just wondering if there was anyone on here who had done the same. If so, how did it go?
Also any tips in regards to revision and preparing before the academic year starts would be extremely helpful!!
Original post by Courtney2905
Due to complications in a previous school I have been forced to move to another which has in turn resulted in me having to sit a whole maths A Level in one year..
I was just wondering if there was anyone on here who had done the same. If so, how did it go?
Also any tips in regards to revision and preparing before the academic year starts would be extremely helpful!!

I studied Further Maths in a year, which is slightly different but the method should be the same. (A overall)

I think that the key to success is practicing until you gain an understanding of each topic, so do as many questions as you can, particularly from the textbook.

As you're on a tight schedule your aim should be to finish the AS modules by the end of the calender year, and the A2 ones by around April. That is of course, unless you're being taught them in class then you don't really have to worry about the timing.

It would be worth buying the textbooks and starting to teach yourself some of it - use videos online if this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
I studied Further Maths in a year, which is slightly different but the method should be the same. (A overall)

I think that the key to success is practicing until you gain an understanding of each topic, so do as many questions as you can, particularly from the textbook.

As you're on a tight schedule your aim should be to finish the AS modules by the end of the calender year, and the A2 ones by around April. That is of course, unless you're being taught them in class then you don't really have to worry about the timing.

It would be worth buying the textbooks and starting to teach yourself some of it - use videos online if this helps.

That schedule sounds great, actually.
I have purchased C1, C2 and D1 text books and will be studying C3, C4 and M1 throughout the next year.
My main concern was not being taken seriously in regards to my UCAS application as I do not have an AS result to declare - do you think this will have a massive impact?
I have purchased C1, C2 and D1 text books and will be studying C3, C4 and M1 throughout the next year.
My main concern was not being taken seriously in regards to my UCAS application as I do not have an AS result to declare - do you think this will have a massive impact?

I'm not terribly familiar with what kind of impact it would have, if any, but I imagine you would be predicted a grade by your school. As you're moving there I'm not sure what/how they would predict you - perhaps some tests very early on in the academic year? Best to ask them.

My predicted grade for Further Maths (where I did not have an AS result to declare either) formed part of my offer, so it might not have a massive impact to not have one as long as you're predicted what you need.
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
I'm not terribly familiar with what kind of impact it would have, if any, but I imagine you would be predicted a grade by your school. As you're moving there I'm not sure what/how they would predict you - perhaps some tests very early on in the academic year? Best to ask them.

My predicted grade for Further Maths (where I did not have an AS result to declare either) formed part of my offer, so it might not have a massive impact to not have one as long as you're predicted what you need.

The school i'm moving to is in fact a school I was in for 5 years...confusing I know!
So i'm hoping they take the 3 AS grades I achieve and try to some how think of an overall result..
The work load is extremely frightening for me though, do you think a tutor would be a good option?
Reply 5

I pretty much covered AS in two months, and now covering all of A2 Maths.

You should start now, and focus more on doing lots of questions. There are many tutorials on Youtube, as well as useful revision notes. Also create a timetable and ensure you write down what you will need to cover each day, using your textbook and the specification.

Here's most of the sites I use:
physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/
http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/alevel.htm
http://www.examsolutions.net/
http://m4ths.com/
The school i'm moving to is in fact a school I was in for 5 years...confusing I know!
So i'm hoping they take the 3 AS grades I achieve and try to some how think of an overall result..
The work load is extremely frightening for me though, do you think a tutor would be a good option?

A tutor is a v. good option. They're are loads of desperate for cash uni students who've gotten A*s in Maths and are studying a maths based subject. I have many friends who fall into that category.
Reply 7
Original post by YellowWallpaper
A tutor is a v. good option. They're are loads of desperate for cash uni students who've gotten A*s in Maths and are studying a maths based subject. I have many friends who fall into that category.

Ah, I see!
Although now I am a bit confused as how to find these students?
I'm really desperate to achieve a high grade in maths and so thus would really appreciate finding a tutor soon!
Reply 8
Original post by kkboyk
I pretty much covered AS in two months, and now covering all of A2 Maths.

You should start now, and focus more on doing lots of questions. There are many tutorials on Youtube, as well as useful revision notes. Also create a timetable and ensure you write down what you will need to cover each day, using your textbook and the specification.

Here's most of the sites I use:
physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/
http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/alevel.htm
http://www.examsolutions.net/
http://m4ths.com/

Ah yes I definitely will, unfortunately I have never properly revised before (silly I know), do you have any tips for making a timetable?

Thank you I will definitely have a look at those sites now!!
Ah, I see!
Although now I am a bit confused as how to find these students?
I'm really desperate to achieve a high grade in maths and so thus would really appreciate finding a tutor soon!

do you have a local university with a maths department or any friends who are uni students and may know maths-based-subject students. If so, basically get word around that you're an A-level maths students interested in some tutoring and provide details as to how much you're willing to pay. Similarly, ask your teacher if they know any tutors/former students who are willing to tutor you.

For Maths, I think the good things about a tutor are that they can explain stuff to you if you get stuck, help you structure your learning, like learn this chapter by ... and maybe if they're really good teach you stuff they know about the exam itself.

But you can do all of that by yourself and with the internet, it just takes a little more time and costs a lot less.

If you/your parents have the money for it I'd recommend it, but I think you can get by without it as long as you're motivated.

Being a member of Edexcel, i would not recommend A-Level Mathematics over an academic year. You may find AS doable however A2 in 5 months will be a struggle. Good luck.
Original post by Jonfrancis
Being a member of Edexcel, i would not recommend A-Level Mathematics over an academic year. You may find AS doable however A2 in 5 months will be a struggle. Good luck.

I have already been taught around 60% of AS maths but just did not sit the exam, and will be doing A2 in school itself.
Is the pass rate low in regards to those who sit in one year?
Original post by SeanFM
For Maths, I think the good things about a tutor are that they can explain stuff to you if you get stuck, help you structure your learning, like learn this chapter by ... and maybe if they're really good teach you stuff they know about the exam itself.

But you can do all of that by yourself and with the internet, it just takes a little more time and costs a lot less.

If you/your parents have the money for it I'd recommend it, but I think you can get by without it as long as you're motivated.

I will of course have to speak to my parents in regards to the finance but it is extremely reassuring to know that it is possible to achieve with the correct motivation :smile:
I have already been taught around 60% of AS maths but just did not sit the exam, and will be doing A2 in school itself.
Is the pass rate low in regards to those who sit in one year?

Not necessarily. People sit the whole course in 1 year for different reasons - resits for example.
Original post by YellowWallpaper
do you have a local university with a maths department or any friends who are uni students and may know maths-based-subject students. If so, basically get word around that you're an A-level maths students interested in some tutoring and provide details as to how much you're willing to pay. Similarly, ask your teacher if they know any tutors/former students who are willing to tutor you.

I unfortunately do not know any uni students..
My local uni is the University of Liverpool - is it worth getting in touch with the maths department there?
Reply 16
Ah yes I definitely will, unfortunately I have never properly revised before (silly I know), do you have any tips for making a timetable?

Thank you I will definitely have a look at those sites now!!

Unfortunately I can't help much, since for my timetable I only put what I need to complete each day... but this will be very useful:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationadvice/10726397/Create-the-perfect-revision-plan.html
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/studentservices/supportforyourstudies/academicsupport/studyresources/dissertationsandprojects/creatingaworkingtimetable.aspx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOTYTuiNaho
Reply 17

I did Maths last year and got an A. I resat this year to get an A* :u:. It's achievable with enough effort.

In terms of revision, you won't need to do much before the start of the academic year, but if you really want to, start having a look through some of the papers for C1 (you should be able to do quite a bit of it) and perhaps buy a revision guide or two. It depends on how much you like maths to be honest. Good luck! :bee:

EDIT: Just seen that you've been taught quite a bit of AS. In that case, replace "C1" above" with C3. :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
I unfortunately do not know any uni students..
My local uni is the University of Liverpool - is it worth getting in touch with the maths department there?

Yes, I'd say so. See if the Maths department has a noticeboard and ask if you can advertise for a tutor. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest