Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Law with European Legal Studies.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Obviously- but I'm talking about straight law. Are there exchange schemes- like at London or Notts?
Reply 3
AdamTJ
I know I should be finding this information out from the website, or some other source, but I'll be honest and say I'm just too lazy.

Are there any schemes at foreign universities that you're aware of that Durham participate in? This would be in law, obviously.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks

:rolleyes: Indeed.
Reply 4
Don't think so, I could be wrong though.
Reply 5
AdamTJ
Obviously- but I'm talking about straight law. Are there exchange schemes- like at London or Notts?

There are several. Most of those also teach in English abroad.

Some random page on the Durham Law site
Currently the members from the ELPIS group with whom the University of Durham has a bilateral agreement are: Groningen, Hannover, Leuven, Rouen and Fribourg.

Groningen and Leuven look incredible and are both taught in English. I fully intend to apply for those!
Reply 6
Danny_777
There are several. Most of those also teach in English abroad.

Groningen and Leuven look incredible and are both taught in English. I fully intend to apply for those!

yes, but AFAIK, those are law with european legal studies, and you get one year abroad. I dont think they involve exchanging with any UK universities, and despite quite a few being in English, it is highly preferable to have studied a modern language at A level.
Reply 7
6+6=6
yes, but AFAIK, those are law with european legal studies, and you get one year abroad. I dont think they involve exchanging with any UK universities, and despite quite a few being in English, it is highly preferable to have studied a modern language at A level.

This will have be something to be looked into very carefully when I get there- if the actual courses are in English that is. I didn't apply to Law with European Studies so if I can't get on the course, I can't get on- but surely they don't do Law with Dutch- it's such a minor language. Gronigen is in Holland isn't it- so presumably that's what they'd speak there.

I didn't do an A level in French but it's something I've always regretted, and I think this would be an ideal opportunity to learn a foreign language in the native environment. So Rouen would really appeal to me. If not- I'll just take a gap year in France after my degree...but that's more compliated.
Reply 8
6+6=6

You can't apply for the law with european studies course. It is a program that you transfer onto after the second year, doing your third year in Europe. It has no advantage to have done a modern language at A level; the university sites themselves state that candidates must have very good English skills or will struggle - not any other language. Perhaps socially, one might find it a struggle though.
Reply 9
Danny_777
You can't apply for the law with european studies course. It is a program that you transfer onto after the second year, doing your third year in Europe. It has no advantage to have done a modern language at A level; the university sites themselves state that candidates must have very good English skills or will struggle - not any other language. Perhaps socially, one might find it a struggle though.

Thanks for all of this Danny- this sounds really interesting- I might actually have a chance to study in France after all.
Reply 10
Danny_777

yea, you cant apply before you get here, sorry if that caused confusion.

as for the languages, I leave it open to your interpretation:
"Since some host universities teach in English, the lack of foreign languages is not necessarily fatal to an application, although linguistic ability is obviously very important. For those universities not teaching in English a relevant A level qualification is recommended."
Sort of relatedly, a bit - on the Durham website, the archaeology page, it says:
We are part of the SOCRATES programme which encourages students to study for part of their course in a university of another EU country. We currently have links with the universities of Sofia, Gothenburg, Bordeaux, Madrid Complutense, and Poznan.

Sounds interesting, I thought. But I don't speak any of the appropriate languages (well, apart from the lingering phrases of GCSE Spanish and Year 7 French) - do they expect/need you to? Are the courses taught in English? Or do they only let people with satisfactory command of Bulgarian go? Does anyone know more about this in general?
elyim
Sort of relatedly, a bit - on the Durham website, the archaeology page, it says:

Sounds interesting, I thought. But I don't speak any of the appropriate languages (well, apart from the lingering phrases of GCSE Spanish and Year 7 French) - do they expect/need you to? Are the courses taught in English? Or do they only let people with satisfactory command of Bulgarian go? Does anyone know more about this in general?

Check out the universities' home pages, they're all in English for the international bits, and very interesting!
Reply 13
I'm going to Hannover next year for a year abroad. You apply in your first year and can choose a first and second choice as to where you'd like to be placed. My course will be taught in German and so I need to be able to speak and write it to pass (you only have to pass for Durham's purposes, otherwise your degree simply goes back to straight Law instead of Law with European Legal Studies).

Some of the universities in the scheme do teach in English (Groningen definitely does) and I think one of the other ones does.

In terms of cost, you don't pay any tuition fees to either Durham or the foreign university for the year. You are still eligible for a student loan and I believe you get a grant from the European Commission of £4000, although I could be wrong. I'm hoping I'm not. Also, when considering living costs, note that these will vary significantly between the different places: Germany is very cheap whereas Switzerland is very expensive.

You apply for a place in your first year and will have an interview (very informal) about why you want a year abroad and why you want that specific place. My friend didn't stress enough that she wanted to go to Germany (one of the more popular choices) and so she was persuaded to transfer to Groningen, which she didn't mind in the end.
All very interesting, thankyou Danny and Ryan. My guess is that this scheme is popular, which term are applications for it opened?
Reply 15
Third term, around May time.
Thanks, we shall be well prepared then :biggrin:
Only ten places!!! Ryan, you suggested Groningen was less popular than Hannover; any idea how many apply for the scheme, each uni etc? Any help much appreciated :smile:.

Ooh, btw, what did you say in the interview to the basic 'why do you want to do this'? What else did they ask? Not going to pike your answers lol, just curious! Which college are you btw?
Reply 18
There was an inital information meeting at the beginning of may in which they talked about the various places and why they think having a year out is so fantastic. They highlight why you should do it and what benefits there will be. You also get a little info booklet with all this stuff in. So basically learn that stuff for your interview. It's just things like 'the opportunity to learn the law in a different jurisdiction exposes you to different jurisprudential reasoning and offers comparative awareness'. I think they encourage you to do a dissertation in your 4th year (dissertations aren't compulsory in law by the way) with a comparative flavour.

Absolutely no idea how many people apply for the scheme and to each uni. Advice for the interview: just show you have a personality, smile, and if you really have your heart set on a place stress why you want to go there (live and work in a different culture, learn the language and all that). You could also maybe mention you really want to add an international aspect to your future career; after all the aim of the SOCRATES programme is to help improve the quality and relevance of education by enhancing European Integration. They want you to come out of it pro-Europe and pro-EC I think. Note: if you get an offer it will also be conditional upon you choosing and passing the second year module EC1: Law of the Single European Market, in which I have a tutorial this afternoon so shoud probably get off here and do some work.

I'm at Van Mildert.
Reply 19
Also, note that they try pretty hard to be as flexible as possible. E.g. they said there was only one place in Germany next year, but there are two of us going, and there are two guys over there now. I suppose the other guy wanted it just as much as me?

Latest

Trending

Trending