The Student Room Group

Applying as a mature student

Im currently applying as a 34yr old mature student for the first time.

Just looking for some advice on completing the application.

1. Reference: Who is best to use as a reference ?, I know a head of dept in a local college, have worked with him off and on over the years .. Would this add anything using him as a reference ? Or should I use my current manager at work ?

2. Applying for multiple courses , is this normal? Same or similar course just different Uni's

3. When should I aim to complete and submit my application

4. Where in application should I mention an access course Im starting October ?

Im also planning to complete a number of online courses in design , are these worth doing to show Im passionate about design and learning ?

Any other advice for a mature student applying for a design course with no previous design background ?

Thanks

Sent from my LG-D955 using Tapatalk
Original post by Scott_2703
Im currently applying as a 34yr old mature student for the first time.

Just looking for some advice on completing the application.

1. Reference: Who is best to use as a reference ?, I know a head of dept in a local college, have worked with him off and on over the years .. Would this add anything using him as a reference ? Or should I use my current manager at work ?
Someone who can write a detailed reference about your suitability of the course is best so possibly your college tutor would be better.

2. Applying for multiple courses , is this normal? Same or similar course just different Uni's
The majority of people use up their 5 choices, you might as well give yourself the greatest chance possible when applying, however stick to the same or similar courses or you ll run into problems doing your personal statement.

The deadline is in January 2016 but the earlier you submit it the better.

4. Where in application should I mention an access course Im starting October ?
You should mention it in the qualifications section

Im also planning to complete a number of online courses in design , are these worth doing to show Im passionate about design and learning ?

If it shows you ve done some extra learning about the subject then anything like that you should definetly mention in your personal statement

Hope this helps:smile:
Original post by claireestelle

The deadline is in January 2016 but the earlier you submit it the better.

Is that really true, though? I guess it might be in some cases, but the unis I applied to during this UCAS cycle clearly stated that all applications received by or before the Jan 15th would receive *equal* consideration, i.e. there was no advantage in submitting an application any earlier than Jan 15th. If the same is true for the unis the OP is considering applying to, I would've thought it's worth him holding off submitting his application until it's as good as it can be and he's as sure as he can be about his choices of unis. Why rush it if there's nothing to be gained from doing so?
(edited 8 years ago)

Any other advice for a mature student applying for a design course with no previous design background ?

I'm sure the online courses will be strong positive factors in your favour, however, considering these two comments, it does beg the question: do you know what the entry requirements are for the unis/courses you're considering applying to/for? If it turns out your current level of knowledge and experience isn't enough to make a competitive application for the courses you're interested in, you may then need to get cracking asap to rectify that. Therefore, if you haven't done so already, contact your unis of choice to check this out. There's little point in completing a UCAS application (at a cost of £23, or whatever it is now) and sitting around waiting for the outcome if it's pretty much doomed to fail from the outset.
Reply 4
Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice
I'm sure the online courses will be strong positive factors in your favour, however, considering these two comments, it does beg the question: do you know what the entry requirements are for the unis/courses you're considering applying to/for? If it turns out your current level of knowledge and experience isn't enough to make a competitive application for the courses you're interested in, you may then need to get cracking asap to rectify that. Therefore, if you haven't done so already, contact your unis of choice to check this out. There's little point in completing a UCAS application (at a cost of £23, or whatever it is now) and sitting around waiting for the outcome if it's pretty much doomed to fail from the outset.

I have spoken to the Universities Im applying for and they have advised

"The main areas of consideration for selection to a programme of study are the strength of an applicant’s portfolio and their motivation to study the subject. As a result, applicants will not be deemed unsuccessful in their application based solely on their academic qualifications."

So I'm hoping the access course proves my ability in Math/Physics and then the design courses Im taking will let me build up a portfolio and a few certificates to add to my application. Speaking to a few universities leads me to believe for a design degree a big part of my application is the strength of my interview
it does beg the question:

because you seem like the kind of guy who appreciates grammar fascism & pedantic oneupmanship...
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/begging-the-question.html

:wink:
I have spoken to the Universities Im applying for and they have advised

"The main areas of consideration for selection to a programme of study are the strength of an applicant’s portfolio and their motivation to study the subject. As a result, applicants will not be deemed unsuccessful in their application based solely on their academic qualifications."

So I'm hoping the access course proves my ability in Math/Physics and then the design courses Im taking will let me build up a portfolio and a few certificates to add to my application. Speaking to a few universities leads me to believe for a design degree a big part of my application is the strength of my interview

I'll put my hands up here and admit I made a mistake. I didn't notice point 4 in your OP, where you mentioned the Access course :embarrassed: Sorry for any undue concern I may have caused as a result. Suffice to say I feel like a bit of a muppet now! I don't really know much about studying design specifically, but in general terms, Access is excellent uni preparation and I'm sure it will provide you with the basis for a competitive application. Best of luck with it all.

I'll just add one additional point to the first reply you received (post 2), regarding your question about applying for multiple courses. It's worth bearing in mind that once you've used up your five choices for your 2016 application, you can't add any more. For example, say you apply to 5 courses before Jan 15th, then after that date decide to withdraw from one - you're down to four from then on. You can't substitute another choice for your withdrawn choice, whereas if you only apply for 4 courses by Jan 15th, you've got the option of adding another choice later on (albeit that this last choice would be a 'late' one).

Original post by andiewithanie
because you seem like the kind of guy who appreciates grammar fascism & pedantic oneupmanship...
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/begging-the-question.html

:wink:

Re. begging the question: figure of speech in my usage, but I appreciate the additional info you provided! Anyway, I was completely wrong, as it turns out, irrespective of logical methodology. And yes, I am pedantic about grammar and such. It where would without be we?
Reply 7
I'll put my hands up here and admit I made a mistake. I didn't notice point 4 in your OP, where you mentioned the Access course :embarrassed: Sorry for any undue concern I may have caused as a result. Suffice to say I feel like a bit of a muppet now! I don't really know much about studying design specifically, but in general terms, Access is excellent uni preparation and I'm sure it will provide you with the basis for a competitive application. Best of luck with it all.

Thanks , No concern caused as I had already spoken to the university. Im just double checking everything as I really want onto this Product Design degree.

Im hoping the online courses allow me to build up a portfolio and from speaking to people who have attended the UNI I prefer they favour mature students so fingers crossed
Thanks , No concern caused as I had already spoken to the university. Im just double checking everything as I really want onto this Product Design degree.

Im hoping the online courses allow me to build up a portfolio and from speaking to people who have attended the UNI I prefer they favour mature students so fingers crossed

Glad I hadn't caused any unnecessary worries. Yep, it's a good move to check with the unis (about entry requirements) in any case. But the main thing is that you're all set for an Access course already, if that's one of their requirements.
Reply 9
Hi, as a mature student who has just finished an access course I thought I might be able to shed a little light on the UCAS side of things for you. When you start your course you will be given some advice on your UCAS application such as writing your statement etc... Your tutor at college will write your reference and will also let the universities that you apply for know your expected grades. Whilst most universities will state that there is no preference given to those that apply early it does help in getting this out of the way, helping you to focus on your course. The other advantage is that you will get your offers earlier and you will therefore know what you need to achieve, I sent mine in mid November and received offers in mid December and January. Hope this helps.
Reply 10
Original post by mature35
Hi, as a mature student who has just finished an access course I thought I might be able to shed a little light on the UCAS side of things for you. When you start your course you will be given some advice on your UCAS application such as writing your statement etc... Your tutor at college will write your reference and will also let the universities that you apply for know your expected grades. Whilst most universities will state that there is no preference given to those that apply early it does help in getting this out of the way, helping you to focus on your course. The other advantage is that you will get your offers earlier and you will therefore know what you need to achieve, I sent mine in mid November and received offers in mid December and January. Hope this helps.

Im doing my access course via open university, I will need to ask them how that works with them. I was thinking of using an aquaintance of mine who is a director of a proffesional football club, on the board of various charities and national organisationd and a nationally recognised insolvency practioner as my reference. I have served on a board of directors with him and he can vouch for my work ethic and creativity. Would that be an acceptable person to use as I dont have any college tutors to use

Sent from my LG-D955 using Tapatalk
I am sure that with you studying through OU that universities will find your acquaintance an acceptable reference and from what information you have given I would advise you to make a point of your "real world" experience in your statement, lots of universities look for that in their mature students as it shows life skills that younger students may not have gained yet. I am a little curious on a couple of points, which universities are you considering applying to and why you have chosen to study via OU?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending