The Student Room Group

Peak Lapel VS Notch Lapel

Can someone explain what the traditional purpose of a peak lapel was, was it made for tall broad men in hope to make them look shorter/narrower, was it made for weddings? Or what?

I am fairly short would the notch be best for me?

Is a peak formal enough for business wear in careers like Investment Banking and Law? Or should I wear notch?
Reply 1
Original post by harry218
Can someone explain what the traditional purpose of a peak lapel was, was it made for tall broad men in hope to make them look shorter/narrower, was it made for weddings? Or what?

I am fairly short would the notch be best for me?

Is a peak formal enough for business wear in careers like Investment Banking and Law? Or should I wear notch?

Peak lapels are more formal than notch lapels, not less so they're appropriate for IB and Law. They point upwards too so can make you look taller so that would be good for short people. The broad people thing is more to do with lapel width. Narrower ones on narrower chests, broader ones on larger chests obviously. All about proportion.
Original post by Wattsy
Peak lapels are more formal than notch lapels, not less so they're appropriate for IB and Law. They point upwards too so can make you look taller so that would be good for short people. The broad people thing is more to do with lapel width. Narrower ones on narrower chests, broader ones on larger chests obviously. All about proportion.

Oh I see! That makes sense thanks:smile:

http://www.next.co.uk/x6d366s1#811264x56

I also have a fairly narrow chest, I am a 34S. would you say this is a good suit (link above) for my proportion and for interviews? (I have an assessment centre coming up which involves interviews, and the typical tests, for an IB internship)

or should I just play it safe and go for the notch such as http://www.next.co.uk/x6d368s4#890721x56
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
They're both appropriate; the notch lapel one is better quality though because it's wool blend as opposed to polyester.
Original post by Wattsy
They're both appropriate; the notch lapel one is better quality though because it's wool blend as opposed to polyester.

Oh I see thanks for the help:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending