The Student Room Group

Are any of you still living with parents in your late twenties and if so why?

Just wondering how many people here still live with their parents and can't afford their own place despite being in their mid to late twenties.

Can you give me some feedback on your reasons for not moving out and how you feel about it please?

Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Nothing shameful about living with your parents Past the age of 18. In Italy,some people live with their parents well into their late 20s and we don't see it as shameful. In Arabian culture,you ain't leaving the house until you're married lol. I live I. My parents home and always have done. I'm not ashamed
Reply 2
Original post by queen-bee
Nothing shameful about living with your parents Past the age of 18. In Italy,some people live with their parents well into their late 20s and we don't see it as shameful. In Arabian culture,you ain't leaving the house until you're married lol. I live I. My parents home and always have done. I'm not ashamed

What age are you though? What do your parents think?
Original post by Stephen857
What age are you though? What do your parents think?

Early 20s and my parents passed away but I've always been living with them. They encouraged it and didn't want me leaving as my dad said I was the apple of his eye
Reply 4
Early 20s and my parents passed away but I've always been living with them. They encouraged it and didn't want me leaving as my dad said I was the apple of his eye

I've had to move back. I find it to be embarrassing although only now that I am moving into my late twenties. I think it's because I am approaching my birthday. Every birthday is the same. I always end up thinking about it.
Original post by Stephen857
I've had to move back. I find it to be embarrassing although only now that I am moving into my late twenties. I think it's because I am approaching my birthday. Every birthday is the same. I always end up thinking about it.

Please don't feel embarrassed,consider yourself loved and welcomed. Forget what people think of you plus it's not like you're going to be living with them forever
Same here, but I will move to London for work. I am not shame, because I could not afford to have mine own place. So now I can.
Reply 7
Please don't feel embarrassed,consider yourself loved and welcomed. Forget what people think of you plus it's not like you're going to be living with them forever

I sure hope not. :smile:
Reply 8
That is insane. Are they nuts?

Even with a job it is hard work. You have the advantage of being able to split the rent two ways but try being single and paying it. You say you are twenty and engaged?. Paying bills between you every month and seeing each other constantly puts pressure on a young couple.
I'm 25 and still living with my parents. I'm a mature student, who can't afford rent on a place in my uni town and my home town. My OH is 30 and lives with his nan (helping her out and as some company) although he's moving into a flat next month. Rent and house prices in my hometown are ridiculously high, so it's hard for young people to move out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am atm until I go to uni this September (I'm 22, mature student), and I despise it. It's so annoying, I'd much rather house share with friends tbh.
I'm 22 and live with my parents, I had to watch all my friends leave for uni at 18 and I'm the only person I know who hasn't moved out yet. Reason? Mental illness. My own and my mums. My family needed me and I couldn't function enough to support myself.. however now both of us have improved and I'm hoping to move out with my fiance this year - I honestly can't wait, I feel like I've put my life on hold for too long!
I'm nearly 23 and live with my Mum, solely because I live in Greater London and there is no way I can afford to move out right now. I could probably live in a houseshare but none of my friends from home or from uni have come to London and I don't want to live with strangers (wouldn't help my anxiety either). I am absolutely desperate to move out, cannot stand being back in the family house but unfortunately no can do until I move out of London or something really
I'm 26 and moved out 5 months ago. Was hoping to move out sooner due to disability.
I'm 20 and I live away from home at the moment while I'm interning in the City but I know I will probably be living at home until about 25-30 before I can afford my own small place (live in an extremely expensive area).

I actually think people who move out early are a bit counter-intuitive, because why spend all that money on rent when after four years you'd probably have enough for a housing deposit and have your own place, properly? Then later, you could probably afford to buy to let another place etc.

I think it depends on your family though, my family are incredibly chilled so for me there is no difference between living at home or away from home. So I feel no real need/desire to get out of here as quickly as possible like some people do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will leave when I have money to buy my own apartment
I don't think it's that big a deal. I've moved in and out of my parents' some times. It's not as good in terms of freedom but if you have a decent relationship with them you can get on. I don't see the big stigma about it tbh. If I'd have never moved out it would have probably done my head in but as I've lived in houseshares, in a couple and on my own I don't feel any issue with moving back on a temporary basis.
Nah **** that, moved out at 17 because YOLO. Yeah the houseshare is a bit cramped, yeah I can't save a penny because I'm getting fleeced by my BTL landlord, yeah he could kick us out at any time and yeah I won't be able to save a deposit and be forever renting... but I've got my induhpendance!
This!

I'll be back at my parents until I'm 28/29 if I quit my job and go back to uni for a Bsc. If I get into Med School then I'll be in my own place though, we'll just see what happens.

If I do a Bsc then it makes more sense for me to live at home for another few years to get my career on track. If I didn't go back to uni I'd be in some dead end job struggling to pay my rent with no prospect of that ever changing - probably in a house share.

So personally it's worth it for me to move back with the 'rents for a few years while I retrain in a profession that I enjoy. I'm really lucky and grateful that they want to support me and they're really chill people to be honest, easy to live with. But yeah, it did really bother me at first because a lot of people my age are having babies and I was comparing myself but now I think 'so what?' - so long as I'm doing what's best for me then it makes no difference what anyone thinks. Plus, I'm just not the type of person who wants to have a baby in my 20's and spend the rest of my life being reliant on a man (not saying every woman in her 20's who has a baby is reliant but I know a lot who are and I would be if I did since I don't have my career yet). So I'd rather stay at home for 3 years - which is nothing in the grand scheme of things and then have my career ahead of me/my own independence/flat/money etc and then think about settling down in my 30's. My 20's are all about me and making sure my future is secure and if that means staying at home for a bit then I'm cool with it.

Also, I think it's actually really nice to be able to spend more time with my parents - they won't be around forever so if I do end up living back home then it'll be an opportunity to make the most of my time with them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by somethingbeautiful
This!

I'll be back at my parents until I'm 28/29 if I quit my job and go back to uni for a Bsc. If I get into Med School then I'll be in my own place though, we'll just see what happens.

If I do a Bsc then it makes more sense for me to live at home for another few years to get my career on track. If I didn't go back to uni I'd be in some dead end job struggling to pay my rent with no prospect of that ever changing - probably in a house share.

So personally it's worth it for me to move back with the 'rents for a few years while I retrain in a profession that I enjoy. I'm really lucky and grateful that they want to support me and they're really chill people to be honest, easy to live with. But yeah, it did really bother me at first because a lot of people my age are having babies and I was comparing myself but now I think 'so what?' - so long as I'm doing what's best for me then it makes no difference what anyone thinks. Plus, I'm just not the type of person who wants to have a baby in my 20's and spend the rest of my life being reliant on a man (not saying every woman in her 20's who has a baby is reliant but I know a lot who are and I would be if I did since I don't have my career yet). So I'd rather stay at home for 3 years - which is nothing in the grand scheme of things and then have my career ahead of me/my own independence/flat/money etc and then think about settling down in my 30's. My 20's are all about me and making sure my future is secure and if that means staying at home for a bit then I'm cool with it.

Also, I think it's actually really nice to be able to spend more time with my parents - they won't be around forever so if I do end up living back home then it'll be an opportunity to make the most of my time with them.

Similar to me actually.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending