The Student Room Group

Applying as an international student.

Hi, I did my A Levels outside the UK, I want to ask about the process of applying to a university in the UK as an international student, the deadlines, document requirements and does clearing apply to international students too? I think I am pretty late now to apply, any advice?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Azhar Rana
Hi, I did my A Levels outside the UK, I want to ask about the process of applying to a university in the UK as an international student, the deadlines, document requirements and does clearing apply to international students too? I think I am pretty late now to apply, any advice?

Are you looking to get in September 2015?
Yes if I don't get an offer from my home place. for an emergency though :frown:
Might apply in 2016 winter also.
Yes if I don't get an offer from my home place. for an emergency though :frown:
Might apply in 2016 winter also.

Wait till Winter 2016 silly. English university is an expensive rip off second to US universities. You're home university fees are either free or tiny.
Original post by marco14196
Wait till Winter 2016 silly. English university is an expensive rip off second to US universities. You're home university fees are either free or tiny.

Yep the public universities are tuition fees free but they have limited seats available . private universities are very expensive here.
(edited 8 years ago)
You still have time to apply this year through UCAS Clearing - which is when universities reopen applications for courses they still have spaces left on for students who have failed to get the grades required for their first choice universities or who have missed the earlier deadlines. However, only a limited number of courses are available (since most are already full up) and these may not include the course you want to do at a good uni.

If you don't mind starting in September 2016, then I'd advise doing that. You will be able to apply to a much better range of courses :smile: The deadline for Oxford/ Cambridge/ Medicine/ Dentistry/ Vetinary is in early October whereas the deadline for all other courses is early January. Applications I think open in September. Give yourself plenty of time to fill out the UCAS application form and write your personal statement :smile:
Original post by dragonkeeper999
You still have time to apply this year through UCAS Clearing - which is when universities reopen applications for courses they still have spaces left on for students who have failed to get the grades required for their first choice universities or who have missed the earlier deadlines. However, only a limited number of courses are available (since most are already full up) and these may not include the course you want to do at a good uni.

If you don't mind starting in September 2016, then I'd advise doing that. You will be able to apply to a much better range of courses :smile: The deadline for Oxford/ Cambridge/ Medicine/ Dentistry/ Vetinary is in early October whereas the deadline for all other courses is early January. Applications I think open in September. Give yourself plenty of time to fill out the UCAS application form and write your personal statement :smile:

Yep, I wanted to do engineering but all of the places are already non vacant. I think its better for me to apply by 2016, anyways thanks alot for the information :smile:
Yep the public universities are free here but only for locals and if i got lucky i might get into it as they got limited seats available . private universities are very expensive here.

well the first deadline for September 2015 entry would be in October 2014. That's for medicine and fro applying to oxford and cambridge. The second deadline (which is the most common one) is January 15th 2015. After that you can still apply until June 30th 2015, that's about the last deadline. Any application after June 30th 2015 will be entered into clearing, this link will give you more information about clearing (https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/no-offers-use-clearing). You might be limited to certain courses and universities as people might've already applied and got offers :/

Now, you can still apply for September 2015 entry, it's just that it will be through clearing. On UCAS you can find information about courses and fees.

Good luck with everything, let me know if you need anymore help!

If you don't min asking, which country are you living in?
Original post by alibashir
well the first deadline for September 2015 entry would be in October 2014. That's for medicine and fro applying to oxford and cambridge. The second deadline (which is the most common one) is January 15th 2015. After that you can still apply until June 30th 2015, that's about the last deadline. Any application after June 30th 2015 will be entered into clearing, this link will give you more information about clearing (https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/no-offers-use-clearing). You might be limited to certain courses and universities as people might've already applied and got offers :/

Now, you can still apply for September 2015 entry, it's just that it will be through clearing. On UCAS you can find information about courses and fees.

Good luck with everything, let me know if you need anymore help!

If you don't min asking, which country are you living in?

HI, Thanks alot for the information, i am from the UAE :smile:
HI, Thanks alot for the information, i am from the UAE :smile:

oh that's pretty cool. I used to live in Doha so I can somewhat understand the situation that you're in. Hope everything works out just fine :biggrin:
oh that's pretty cool. I used to live in Doha so I can somewhat understand the situation that you're in. Hope everything works out just fine :biggrin:

Wow that's awesome, do you speak arabic?
Wow that's awesome, do you speak arabic?

yes!
yes!

Mashallah thats good, Keif haalak? :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Mashallah thats good, Keif haalak? :biggrin:

تمام الحمد لله, كيف حالك؟
تمام الحمد لله, كيف حالك؟

.الحمد لله بخير

Quick Reply